Thread: 26' Osprey long cabin

Default 26' Osprey long cabin

Im looking at buying a '97 26' Osprey long cabin when I get home next week. Anyone on here own one, or used to own one? Looking for any issues good or bad that could sway my decision to buy one. I've seen them around for years now and look like a great boat however I've never been on the water in one. Even ran along side of them and look like they handle well. Let the comments begin. Either talk me into one or out.
    Thanks

I know of 3 26' currently for sale. One in Homer (5.7 engine, 55k), a 2004 in Sterling (300 outboard, 87k), one in Angoon (5.7 or 7.4 I forget 65k). I think they are great boats. They are more geared towards day fishing than long weekends. They are great for 3 people. They aren't big enough for my family of 5. The dinette on the right side of the cabin works but to me isn't worth the space they take up. They go through the seas like nobody's business though and that is why I like them.

Sobie2

My last boat was a 26 LC so have an ex owner's perspective. A well built boat overall but a few things I didn't like about it. PM me if you want a few things to look out for.

Yes. Its the one in Homer with the 5.7l that I am looking to pick up. I am single so generally either alone or with one other so I figure it will do fine for 3-4 day trips in the sound for me. Will be a big step up from my 20' Trophy I've been running for the past 13 years.

Fish Witch. Your inbox is full so I cant PM you. Please drop me a pm and share anything you've learned to watch for with this boat. And any feelings you have on the boats performance. I sure would appreciate it.
    Thanks

Great boat couple things to look for. Pm me I'll gladly go over it with you.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Just say NO to in board gas engines!!!!!!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Fish Witch & akmike30,
    I also have an Osprey 26' Long Cabin, I know of some things to watch. I would appreciate a PM on what other things to look out for, I don't have permissions to send a PM.
    Thank you

Screwcutter
    How do you like yours? More so, what do you dislike about your boat?

Quote Originally Posted by screwcutter View Post
    Fish Witch & akmike30,
    I also have an Osprey 26' Long Cabin, I know of some things to watch. I would appreciate a PM on what other things to look out for, I don't have permissions to send a PM.
    Thank you

theultrarider
    I can't say I dislike much about it, cause I still have it. Probably it is the limitations Sobie2 stated about the roominess, but I don't like a large group anyway. I'm under 6' and the v berth has barley enough room to stretch out in, I have the standup head that is too big for rough water use. I like the bow rail and the high sides on deck, you would have to be trying pretty hard to fall overboard(not saying it can't be done). I've heard complaints about rough riding in choppy water, but that's what the throttle and trim adjustments are for.

Thanks for the comments screwcutter. 90% of the time it will just be 2 of us on the boat. 4 for a day trip so I dont see the cabin space being too much of an issue for me. I am 6'1" however. I will make sure to lay down in the v-berth before buying it! Thanks

IMG_1701.jpgIMG_1722.jpgHave had mine for for 10 years noe and the things that I like are:

The safety factor, ran over million dollar rock at the SE side of Fox Is. and did not 1.) compromise the hull and the out drive went back down and got us to port some 20 miles away. Two and 1/4 inches of fiberglass below the waterline, incredibility strong and the Volvo Penta outdrive retracts when you strike a hard object in the water, yes we poked a hole in the case and when salt water hits the gear box it is new outdrive time.

As for the inboard / outboard argument, I have a Volvo Penta 5.7 280 hp and I think it is just right. 30 mph cruise at 3550 rpm in 3 ft or less seas when it gets rough just put the outdrive down and use the trim as well fall back to about 20 mph in 5 to 7 ft seas and snotty weather, rock and roll but no banging ...... Aluminum guy's cannot say that.

Gas milage when in what I consider normal cruise is and 2.5 mpg. I have all my maintenance done by SHIP in Seward and Matt tells me that the 5.7 is good for about 1500 hrs, in 10 years I am at 600 hrs into the life cycle. The thing about the inboard is that it keeps a LOW "center fo gravity" so that it rides the waves instead of tipping and rolling with the waves as will "High Center of Gravity" outboards. Do not diss the inboard, great solution especially with the Duoprop 290 outdrive. Most effecient propulsion on the water dispite what the outboard guys claim. Duoprop outdrives have one additional benifit the provide stright thrust, no "P" factor, look it up on the internet, the boat is hands off, neutral thrust, will not pull to the left as with a single big outboard. On long trips that we take this makes a difference on stress factor for the driver.

Thanks ocnfish for your review of you boat. Im hoping to pick up that boat this week. Sounds like there is a few things to keep an eye out for. But overall should meet my needs and wants. Just hoping the boat is as the seller claims it to be. I think we all have been down that road before. Thanks to all who have replied. Sure helps one decide which way to go and go in with your eyes open as to what to be looking for beyond the obvious.