Thread: what to get?

Default what to get?

i have an old.....old 16' semi v. i would like to hit some rivers but need to learn small and cheap. im trying to figure out how big of a motor i need to get up the chatanika, chena, tannana, delta, and the salcha....ie the interior rivers...and also would like to hit the yukon a couple times b4 they find my body, i know i really should get a jet. but $$$. my buddies "craphole pros" lol recommended that a 30hp prop would work but be to slow. what do you all recommend? this is my first boat and like i said im learning as i pay. on that note if anyone has anything suitable or resonable im shopping.... thanks for any input

A 30 will work you will need to learn to read the rivers with a prop.
    A jet would be better and then I would say a 50 horse.
    I have a 14 seanymph semi v with a 15 that has made many trips but loaded it is slow.

This may not help with the question of whether a 30hp motor is big enough, but it may be good to know what may be too big.

First, a few questions...
    Is it remote steering or tiller?
    If remote, how tall is the transom?
    How wide is the boat?

You can calculate what the USCG legal limit is by using this info and the formulas here.

Here's a few examples knowing that you're boat is a 16 footer and isn't a flat bottom.

remote steer-5.5' wide-20" transom... 16' x 5.5' = 88 > 52.5 ... so, (2 x 88)-90 = 86. Round up to 90hp max. Remote steer adds a lot of legal capacity as long as the transom is at least 20" high.

tiller-5.5' wide... 16' x 5.5' = 88 > 52.5 ... so, (0.8 x 88)-25= 45.4. Round up to 50 hp max.

tiller-4.5' wide... 16' x 4.5' = 72 > 52.5 ... so, (0.8 x 72)-25= 32.6. Round up to 35 hp max.

tiller-4.0' wide... 16' x 4.0= 64 > 52.5 ... so, (0.8 x 64)-25= 26.2. Round up to 30 hp max.

So, if you have a fairly narrow boat with a tiller steer system, a 30 may be all you really want to put on. But if it's wider, you could go up as high as 50 or more. Then the question would still be... is a 30 big enough for the river?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

I had a 16 foot semi vee with a 35hp honda that was in all the places that you stated and then some. The prop would work but the the chance of hitting in the shallow rivers is high. If we had a summer like three years ago very low water like this year before this past week a jet would be my only choice. Going up river on the Yukon to go around twentyfive to thirty miles with two people would take around an hour and a half.

Default thanks thats what i was looking for

on that note anyone have a cheap 35 or 40?