Thread: NEED help! interior moderate trail

Default NEED help! interior moderate trail

Looking for a great hike for 3-4 days within 200ish miles of fairbanks to backpack. i have all equipment and skills needed to survive anything less than a freak tornado. Just trying to find a nice trip. I was thinking the amphitheater north west of paxson. Nothin like climbing the west buttress route but more than a jaunt to angel rocks.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmagers View Post
    Looking for a great hike for 3-4 days within 200ish miles of fairbanks to backpack. i have all equipment and skills needed to survive anything less than a freak tornado. Just trying to find a nice trip. I was thinking the amphitheater north west of paxson. Nothin like climbing the west buttress route but more than a jaunt to angel rocks.
    Kesugi Ridge. 4 days should suffice, it has a few challenging sections, but nothing life threatening, and the views of the AK Range and Denali are impressive.
    Shuttling is fairly simple, the best route is from the trailhead to Byers.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Kesugi Ridge. 4 days should suffice, it has a few challenging sections, but nothing life threatening, and the views of the AK Range and Denali are impressive.
    Shuttling is fairly simple, the best route is from the trailhead to Byers.
    36 miles is a little much for the wife. which section is best or sections.

i know this is a state park so im sure plenty of people know about it but do many people actually hike the trail. should i see many people.

Sorry, didn't realize the wife was coming along, that does change things. For the best vistas? Start on the N end of the trail and hike in. It IS the harder part of the trail, but if you take your time it should be fine. Use your judgement on when a good turnaround point would be appropriate.

If you're willing to use a lil' wiggle room on your 200 mile radius, there are a few reallllly nice hikes on the Kenai Peninsula. Resurrection being the longest of them, but it can be done in sections as well. If you want really mellow, Johnson Pass is a beautiful hike, and an easy 2/3 day trip. One Way. It's easy to thumb back to your rig, the Seward Hwy is certainly hitchhiker friendly.

Carter/Crescent is another good one, same vicinity.

There ARE good trails inside Denali NP, and now that they allow firearms, might be worth doing a lil research on. And they're closer to your neck of the woods.

Where it me, I'd do Johnsons. Hike in from the Turnagain Pass side, you'll exit near Moose Pass. Contact Spruce Moose B&B, they rent cabins with private hot tubs overlooking Trail Lake. Nice way to soak out the trail over a bottle of suds.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

i know this is a state park so im sure plenty of people know about it but do many people actually hike the trail. should i see many people.
    I've done it later in the season (better berry picking) and after the first few miles the number of folks is minimal, maybe one group a day....

Cant do the NP cuz i got the dogs. not trying to make a road trip out of it. i do plenty of that with fishing and hunting.

Stampede trail, outside of the Park, same views. Mind the river crossings, they tend to come up in volume as the day progresses.

If you haven't spent much time on the Kenai Pen, it is worth the extra drive, some spectacular views in those passes, and bring a light rod, the lakes up top have feeesh.

Default NEED help! interior moderate trail

White mountains national recreation area. I just spent the better part of last week up there. Wonderful views of the interior hills and mountains. Mt Prindle was quite impressive. Oh, and the grayling fishing is remarkable.

P.S. Bring a lot of bug dope!
    Last edited by DannerAK; 06-30-2014 at 02:20. Reason: forgot to mention the BUGS!!!!
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Check out Angel Rocks and the Chena Hot Springs trails.

White Mountains or one of the trails into the DCUA. Bear Cr. or up Hadukjovich Cr.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have looked at all the areas discussed. I like the idea of the DCUA. The white mountains are my stomping grounds so trying to get away from there a bit. kesugi ridge is my fallback if i cant find anything that jumps out at me. I am trying to find a trail that leads to seven-mile lake or deep in the delta clearwater mountains and not the valdez creek road.

As others said think you would really enjoy the kesugi ridge trail from little coal creek to Byers lake. It will have the advantage of being a well marked / traveled route. Other more back country trips are possible between kesugi ridge and Cantwell. There is beta on the Internet various climbing / rafting / skiing gurus post.

If you have a canoe consider a tangle lakes hiking / canoe trip. You're welcome to pm me if you want more info on what I know of the area.

And remember Alaska mountain weather can include freak tornadoes and the like on a semi regular basis. So better be prepared to survive them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It took me a while to post but i'm finally doing it. We drove up Valdez creek a few miles just up by that little lake. Thats where we got out. Me the wife and the three dogs. My wife wasn't to enthused to start the trip with a 2500' climb off the bat, but did well. Hiked up to Rusty hill and follow the ridge for about 8 miles. I've never seen the first couple of miles of the Susitna. That is a really neat area.

We were blessed with nice weather the entire trip. I thought the wet June was gonna continue on us. Had some nice views of the Alaskan Range and Denali.

Brought the glass out to look for bears and other critters. Sat and watched some caribou sit on some snow patches every night. Unfortunately caribou was all we saw. We did come across plenty of sheds but only one was worth keeping.

I thought my dogs would be tired but no. There were too many ground squirrels to chase. Also was surprised at how many natural springs there were along the route. Seemed in every drainage and about on average 1 every 400 yards.

Lots of clean water for us made it nice. Less filter pumping. We didn't quite make it to where we wanted to. We cut it short by a day. Wife's boots were giving her trouble. She needs some new ones. Any good suggestions? I got advice to try to make it back to boulder creek but never made it. We stopped at the first lake there at the end of the north fork of the road. We walked back on the road. Sure were alot more people there than when we got there. All in all 2 nights, 18 miles, 3500' gain (mostly in the first day), about 30 caribou, 100 ptarmigan, and some great views later it was a nice 4th of July.

Awesome pic's and story! Sounds like you had a great trip. I love that area up there, summer and winter!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com