Thread: Deadhorse area fishing spots?

Default Deadhorse area fishing spots?

Greetings, I'm a sloper working with a service company out of Deadhorse that has access to a pickup truck and badges to move from field to field and down the haul road lets say up to an hour south. Is it too early to catch grayling? Ive been scouting around and wetting lines in calmer streches of the Sag and the outlet at Billmeyer lake and havent seen so much as a stickleback yet. Are there any lakes that are producing right now? Put river maybe? I'm catch and release only and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincere thanks,
    Fishless in the Oilfield

Valdez, Alaska

There are some nice Char in the Sag to be had.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

northern alaska

Char start running next can catch them out of the salt at the mouths of rivers and some lagoons....

Eagle River

Go to the little bridge over the Kupurak, the one closer to the COP side of the field. Fish around that bridge and you will catch some nice grayling. We always did better with little spinners than fly fishing. The lake by the Milne Point turn has produced some nice ones as well. I saw a legitimate state record come out of there years ago that was caught on a small piece of orange ear plug on a bare hook. If you drive farther toward Kupurak from there watch the pipeline on the left hand side of the road, when it ends there is a little parking spot. Park there and look for the little River about 100 ft off the road. I have been told it's full of grayling but have never fished it.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Palmer, AK.

If fishing the Sag, cast parallel to the bank with spinners vs. out into the river. They seem to tuck right up to the brush, overhangs, etc... vs. sit in the current.
    Don't forget the skeeter dope, they are out in force with this nice weather the last few days.

Just a wee bit early yet for the salty char- Ice just pulling off the bottom out by W Dock. I'd say next week. Burbot are biting, Grayling present in the Put and lakes, and if you're lucky you may find an early char in the Sag.............
    Attached Images Attached Images

North Pole, Alaska

Those sea run dolly varden move further down the Sag the later you wait to go. Check the timing chart and specific locations in the Alaska Highway Angler. The book is right on target with the information found in the pages.

They turn from chrome to spawning colors, winter over and go back to the ocean. Just for sake of avoiding confusion... yes they are char, but not arctic char. The fish are dolly vardens. If you decide to harvest one of those fish, I bet you can not find one with over 23 gill rakers....
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!