Thread: Clipper Mac Sport 18' or Grumman 19' (Fiberglass, Kevlar or Aluminum)

Post Clipper Mac Sport 18' or Grumman 19' (Fiberglass, Kevlar or Aluminum)

I run a bear and moose hunting outfit in a remote, rough, rocky area where the rivers have small falls and sets of un-runnable boulder gardens that must be portaged around. Most of the rivers are really just small lakes connected by 2-10 mile stretches of fast water that often have multiple sets of rapids and falls.

I am looking for a freighter that can handle myself, 2 clients, their gear, bows, rifles, bear bait etc. It needs to be light enough to be portaged, strong enough to haul a lot of weight, handle the rigors of being used hard day after day, do well in everything from calm lakes, swells, chop to rapids on the rivers. I will be running 15 hp 2s Merc's with lift's.

I have been trying to decide between the Grumman 19' and the Clipper Mac Sport 18. I'm leaning towards the Mac Sport 18 in Kevlar as it is deeper, lighter and easier for me to get here in Canada for almost the same price as the Grumman. It would be great to hear pros and cons from people that have experience with both boats and some opinions on which material will best suit my needs.. The Mac Sport comes in fiberglass or kevlar and the Grumman in aluminum.

I am also seriously considering the Mac 18 and have read everything in the searches and elsewhere...not much and lots of speculation. Some comments are the Mac 18 is great but too pretty to scratch, and that the transom is too narrow for surface drive stability(anyone actually try?), but great stability otherwise. We need extensive reports on the Mac 18. I did read the Clipper owner uses his personal Mac 18 for hunting so he might be a good source for an opinion(trusty bias). Maybe Clipper could add an extra sacrificial custom layer in the high wear stern area if needed?? I am LISTENING. Clipper canoes in general have excellent reviews on all models with excellent craftsmanship.
    Also wondering how much better the Grumman would handle the rocks with one of the slick and durable liners applied?

I own an 18' Mac kevlar. Awesome canoe. Very easy to portage, would haul your load in calm water but I wouldn't dream of destroying it on the rocks. It'll survive a few mistakes but if you're looking to routinely run it through a rock garden then you might want to reconsider at $3000 and a trip to Whitehorse every year. I'd go with a 90# 15'Xl Kaboat at $1175 and carry a good repair kit.

if you going to run near rocks the Grumman with lift would be your best bet, hands down more forgiving, if there are lots of rocks you can put runners on the bottom to help out with the rocks check the back Forum threads for more info if needed , SID

I was leaning towards the Grumman with Uhmw skid like a jet boat until I saw this vid of a hammer test on a Kevlar Clipper: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vv5cfW8C4S8
    If you took a hammer to an aluminum canoe it would be all messed up but with a Uhmw bottom it might do ok.

lonewolf2,

Back in 92 a friend of mine bought a 16' Prospector from Western Canoeing (Clipper).....
    He called the owner and told him that he would like the toughest layup they offered be ****ed the weight as we canoe rocky rivers here in the central interior of B.C.....
    Sharp rocks at that....
    The owner of suggested he go with a Duraflex layup.....
    That canoe has served my friend very well.....

I would call Western Canoeing and tell them what you want and why.....

I suspect that they can build what you need..

http://www.clippercanoes.com/construction/