Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another "LEGAL" question for dipnetters, lol.

Default Another "LEGAL" question for dipnetters, lol.

Is it legal to fliet your fish where you catch them?

This goes to the point of clipping the tail.

(Senerio) If you drag a cooler down a hundred foot cliff/bank and don't want to haul the extra bones out, are you allowed to do so?

Do you need to leave the tail attached till you get home?

Why not just look it up yourself?

Dipnetting for Dummies
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Why not just look it up yourself?

Dipnetting for Dummies
    Because the two of you want to challange everything that is posted.

Heck Hippie, I would have thought you would have an answer for that one right off.

( You know, we all might have some meaningful conversations on here if it wer"nt for the name calling, kinda shows haw shallow a person can be.

( I believe it says that til you get to a cleaning station, my station is where I catch them)

This was a legit question all, ( ya I was pushing a button,lol,) but someone I know asked me this and the regs say,

"a person may not possess salmon taken under a personal use salmon permit unless both tips of the tail fin are immediatly removed from the salmon"

"For purposes of the fishery " immediately" means before concealing the salmon from the fishing site. "Fishing Site" means the location where the fish was removed from the water and became part of the permit holders bag limit."

That being said I saw somewhere years back where you had to go to a certian station before you could filet them.

Clarifcation?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Because the two of you want to challange everything that is posted.
    "The two of you" whom are you referring to Rock?

If I interpret you correctly, I think I am one of the two to which you are referring to.

If that is the case, I am not challenging everything that is posted.

Heck Hippie, I would have thought you would have an answer for that one right off.
    Heck Rock, I did, it was a link to the PU Regs.

( You know, we all might have some meaningful conversations on here if it wer"nt for the name calling, kinda shows haw shallow a person can be.
    The advice you gave was wrong, get over it.

And grow up.
    Last edited by Brian M; 06-30-2014 at 02:11.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    This was a legit question all, ( ya I was pushing a button,lol,) but someone I know asked me this and the regs say,

"a person may not possess salmon taken under a personal use salmon permit unless both tips of the tail fin are immediatly removed from the salmon"

"For purposes of the fishery " immediately" means before concealing the salmon from the fishing site. "Fishing Site" means the location where the fish was removed from the water and became part of the permit holders bag limit."

That being said I saw somewhere years back where you had to go to a certian station before you could filet them.

Clarifcation?
    1. It wasn't a "legit" question, since you've now admitted twice that the whole point to your ridiculous thread was to "push a button".

2. The Clarification you seek is in the regs: Dipnetting For Dummies

oh no here we go again.... I hope when I wake up in the morning I just dreamed a bad case of the twilight zone... you cannot have an argument with one person... anyone who does not want to argue don't post... it's that simple.... I'm guessing rock skipper knows the answer.. I believed If
    you fillet the fish before you leave the fishing site
    you do not have to clip the tail.... just in case I'm wrong... after you fillet the fish... you might want to clip the tail before you throw the carcass in the river

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Francis View Post
    oh no here we go again.... I hope when I wake up in the morning I just dreamed a bad case of the twilight zone... you cannot have an argument with one person... anyone who does not want to argue don't post... it's that simple.... I'm guessing rock skipper knows the answer.. I believed If
    you fillet the fish before you leave the fishing site
    you do not have to clip the tail.... just in case I'm wrong... after you fillet the fish... you might want to clip the tail before you throw the carcass in the river
    I think we might have to come down to their level and start a treehouse club in order to have matters discussed without derailing comments. Only people we want to be present can be present.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

It helps to understand the purpose behind the regulation. The main reason for the tail clipping regulation is to keep people from selling personal use fish to the canneries. So, if you fillet at the fishing site, there is no need to clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just read the entire statewide personal use regs again and it dosnt say anything about it. Just what we already know "Clip the tails before concealing". But if you filet where you catch then there is nothing to clip. Again bad wording on the regs that might need to be reworded or reworked in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    It helps to understand the purpose behind the regulation. The main reason for the tail clipping regulation is to keep people from selling personal use fish to the canneries. So, if you fillet at the fishing site, there is no need to clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Where does it say this is the main reason? I always "thought" it was just the proof for you and to the troopers both that you can cover your butt by defending that you dont have 30 sport caught fish and they can also make sure you have your limit of PU and then they can count your sport fish in seperate counts. Almost like if they were differnt species.

very seldom do they give reasons for the regulations.... I also heard it was so that the fish can not be sold... most fish are bought whole,,, how would you tell sport fish from pu fish...if you fillet them

A good pair of shears gentlemen, should be part of any dipnetters kit. I believe it takes about 6 seconds (4 if you're fast on the draw) to clip the tails after you get the fish out the net, why not just make it a normal part of the routine and be done with it?
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

There is a fish cleaning station right at O'Brian Creek. Once filleted and processed, the tail cutting is a non-issue. I usually read in the trooper reports they catch several people every week that do not cut the tails. And, yea, get fined. I think many of the regulations, hunting and fishing, are "attempts to maintain control". Are the regulations effective? Probably not. But some effort, effective or not, there still needs to be some attempt to control what is being done.

If we don't like the way things are going. Write a proposal to the board and submit it.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    A good pair of shears gentlemen, should be part of any dipnetters kit. I believe it takes about 6 seconds (4 if you're fast on the draw) to clip the tails after you get the fish out the net, why not just make it a normal part of the routine and be done with it?
    you missing the point i belive. What if i filet right where i catch them. what if you come back to obrien crrek with filets and no carcassas with clipped tails.

For the boaters, I was instructed by the trooper at OBrian Creek to just make sure you clip the tails before you come to shore although it is easier to do it as you go.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kmagers View Post
    you missing the point i belive. What if i filet right where i catch them. what if you come back to obrien crrek with filets and no carcassas with clipped tails.
    Attachment 79379

How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go Kmagers..................

I believe the question is posed as a "cart before the horse" scenario: If you catch a full limit, and decide to fillet after catching your fish, then they better have the tails cut when you take them off the stringer to fillet them.
    As an aside (personal opinion) choosing to fillet your fish while down in the canyon is a lousy idea. Are you going to pack down bags and bags of ice as well as the coolers, just to avoid carrying a few pounds of fish bones? Your fillets are going to be soaked and slimy and shook up by the time you get out, even worse if you leave them packed that way until you get home. These fish are some of the most nutritious and flavorful in the world, so please take the best care of your fish that you can to preserve those qualities: keep them cold, transport them whole whenever possible (head and gut at Obrien creek), fillet them when you get home so fillets are cut, packed and go right into the freezer (or canned, etc) without ever getting wet or slimy.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    Attachment 79379

How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go Kmagers..................
    haha What is the attactchment. i just think that since LEOs are citing us that we should have a fair oppurtunity to follow the laws by at least making them fool proof.

morpheus.jpg

Sorry, maybe this will show

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast