Thread: Is bear bait station stuff FREE after the season ends......Littering?????

Default Is bear bait station stuff FREE after the season ends......Littering?????

So if a person is littering, by leaving $400.00 to $600.00 worth of tree-stands and cameras and safety harness's, ladders, barrels, etc. in the wilderness after the season closes...........is that stuff free to the good person that cleans-up the litter......??? I should think if it is abandoned...........don't we all have a obligation to clean-up the wilderness.......????

Probably to be considered littering, kinda like buried, or stashed caches left scattered all over the wilderness by preppers.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

One difference........You will never ever......EVER find one of "MY" caches. Never, and that is the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Probably to be considered littering, kinda like buried, or stashed caches left scattered all over the wilderness by preppers.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    One difference........You will never ever......EVER find one of "MY" caches. Never, and that is the difference.
    Irrelevant. Stuff left in the wilderness is stuff left in the wilderness, regardless of how easy/hard it is to find.

Hmmm, sounds like a challenge to me... Anyone up for a little road trip with a metal detector?

Sounds like a chicken s*** way to get "free" stuff. Yes it should be out and I may agree if one left it weeks after the closing but even then I think it's chicken.

Never say never, so it's not ok to leave something you want of others but everyone better stay away from yours right?

If you can't find any of my caches...........then they only exist in your head. If you insist that they exist, but you can't prove it........they have padded rooms at API for people who are sure things exist that don't exist. NOW that is different than my taking you to a bear bait station that is still being used a week after the season has closed. See you can't find any of my caches, they only exist in your mind. And no one else can find them. If you can't find them and they exist ONLY in your belief system.........it is NOT littering, now is it......????

Quote Originally Posted by mooneyman View Post
    Never say never, so it's not ok to leave something you want of others but everyone better stay away from yours right?

Hmmm... Spent a day up Colorado Creek recently, found a stash. Didn't touch anything.

If you can't find any of my caches...........then they only exist in your head. If you insist that they exist, but you can't prove it........they have padded rooms at API for people who are sure things exist that don't exist. NOW that is different than my taking you to a bear bait station that is still being used a week after the season has closed. See you can't find any of my caches, they only exist in your mind. And no one else can find them. If you can't find them and they exist ONLY in your belief system.........it is NOT littering, now is it......????
    I do like padded rooms....
    You have presented this as you doing the right thing, but I think you are just trying to justify steeling someone's stuff. Now if you know of a active station after then end of the season then why not just call the troopers? I am sure they would solve the problem for you.

If you know of a crime being committed, but do not report it; does that make you an accessory, which is also a crime?

I think AGL4now is just stirring up the pot so to speak. We have this discussion every year about this time and some people get fairly wound up about it.
    AGL4now don't be so certain we could not find your caches. You might hide them good bit some of us are good at finding things.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hmmm... Spent a day up Colorado Creek recently, found a stash. Didn't touch anything.
    Would be pretty funny to move a found cache a few yards away with a note left in the original location with directions.....not that I would ever do anything so ornery. LOL... except maybe if I knew who the cache belonged to.

Also - baiting continues to be open for predator control permit holders in some units..check the regs for exact info...
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

I don't know that there is anything prohibiting leaving a stand up. I thought about doing that for some early season predator calling this fall so I didn't have to predator hunt with my .375...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stuff left in the woods after season is still some ones stuff. It may be illegal and that stuff is what the troopers would use for a citation. There may be a good reason it was left and not able to be cleaned up , a family emergency, illness, any number of things. They may have even contacted the troopers to tell them they would be late cleaning it up. Messing with it or deciding to steal it which is how it sounds that close after season is deplorable.
    A couple years ago in unit 13 about 34 miles in we broke a power steering pump and axle on a 1950's something military jeep style hunting buggy. We had to leave it because there was no way to tow it out and it was starting to snow. We left it all winter. We got back there first thing in the spring with the parts and no one had touched anything including some of the gear we left in it like a wall tent stoves etc. I am sure people saw it all winter and even at the beginning of spring and they did what was right .
    I know people steal unattended things and people abandon things. But as for me I just leave others stuff alone and have never regretted it. Now I have found a knife out in the woods that looked to have been dropped on a trail several years prior and kept that.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    A couple years ago in unit 13 about 34 miles in we broke a power steering pump and axle on a 1950's something military jeep style hunting buggy. We had to leave it because there was no way to tow it out and it was starting to snow. We left it all winter. We got back there first thing in the spring with the parts and no one had touched anything including some of the gear we left in it like a wall tent stoves etc. I am sure people saw it all winter and even at the beginning of spring and they did what was right .
    I know people steal unattended things and people abandon things. But as for me I just leave others stuff alone and have never regretted it. Now I have found a knife out in the woods that looked to have been dropped on a trail several years prior and kept that.
    Nice to hear there are a few places left in the world that's possible. I've left a snow machine over night in an area relatively un-traveled and I worried about it all night, it was right where we left it the next day, but I considered myself lucky!

I left my Cadillac Escalade Special Edition DDD with 22 inch wheels at Jim Creek once, after I dropped into a pretty deep hole in one of the puddles. When I went back the next day with my Hummer Extreme Adventure H3 to pull it out, it was on fire and full of bullet holes. I don't actually think the bullet holes mattered that much, given the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    The stuff left in the woods after season is still some ones stuff. It may be illegal and that stuff is what the troopers would use for a citation. There may be a good reason it was left and not able to be cleaned up , a family emergency, illness, any number of things. They may have even contacted the troopers to tell them they would be late cleaning it up. Messing with it or deciding to steal it which is how it sounds that close after season is deplorable.
    A rational, sensible, and somewhat old fashioned reply.

If you can't find a cache, it means you can enjoy your pristine little wilderness adventure without pain to your eyes or brain. Don't let GL's response ruin your day. I too have caches in several places, because stuff is easier to haul in when there is snow. It is well hidden and you probably won't even know it is there. If you find it, use it, then leave it for me or the next guy. It's an old fashioned Alaska thing many of you wouldn't understand.

So if a person is littering, by leaving $400.00 to $600.00 worth of tree-stands and cameras and safety harness's, ladders, barrels, etc. in the wilderness after the season closes...........is that stuff free to the good person that cleans-up the litter......??? I should think if it is abandoned...........don't we all have a obligation to clean-up the wilderness.......????

Yep, whether its cleaning up the wilderness or ones property. Never mind the drums with AR's soaked in motor oil (or similar caches) as you can't see em if buried or otherwise hid from view ... but those tree stands and other junk are plain unsightly.

First off, if I wanted to steal bear baiter's equipment.........I could do that at any time, and it would be much easier at the beginning of the season than the end.

Secondly, "sayak" is correct caches are a part of Alaska history. (Last year I found four canoes cached in three different locations)

Lastly......the truth is many bear baiter's caches their barrels, tools and gear near their station for next year, and do not haul it out. As for contacting AST or Forest Service LEO's........I no longer even bother contacting AST (Failure to respond in a timely way, or even respond ever), and FS-LEO are stretched thin with massive area they police. And this time of the year the target for tickets is fishing violations. Factor in that some stations are lacking of a permit, or any method of identification of the operator, their (LEO's) probability of catching the operator are thin to zero.