Thread: Delta Clearwater BOAT RENTAL??

Default Delta Clearwater BOAT RENTAL??

Hoping to float the delta clearwater for a day on our annual grayling trip. Does anybody know of a place to rent a canoe or raft in that area? What about a shuttle? Or is it close enough to jog back? Also, I have very little experience with canoes on moving water. Is the section of the Tanana that you must float to get to clearwater lake intimidating at all? Is it easy to miss the turn off up to the lake? Any advice on all of this would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mbrenna View Post
    Hoping to float the delta clearwater for a day on our annual grayling trip. Does anybody know of a place to rent a canoe or raft in that area? What about a shuttle? Or is it close enough to jog back? Also, I have very little experience with canoes on moving water. Is the section of the Tanana that you must float to get to clearwater lake intimidating at all? Is it easy to miss the turn off up to the lake? Any advice on all of this would be very appreciated. Thanks!
    Well, I just don't know of any rental outfits other than the military bases near Fairbanks. Ft Wainwright will have a wider selection. Maybe BlueMoose can help??

With regards to the float, I've never been there without a powerboat. I've got many, many hours on that river chasing grayling and coho, but I've only ever tooled around a bit near the mouth...never made the journey to the lake. I did find this thread below, and I hope it helps.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...earwater+float

As a final note, if your trip takes you to DCW in mid-July, send me a PM and perhaps I can take ya'll out on my jet boat. I'll be there regardless!
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

There are a few place in Fairbanks that will rent you a canoe. You can google for them. I don't know of any in Delta.
    Can't say if you would find the Tanana "intimidating"... None of this float it terribly technical, but I suppose I might not want to do it as my first trip if I had no experience on moving water. The outlet of Clearwater lake is near impossible to miss, provided you stay left and watch for it. It moves a little quick, but you can paddle up it with a little effort. Stepping out and lining is always an option. Too far to jog back to the put-in, but you can stage a bicycle, or hitch (carrying your pfd with you can get a better response). One of you will need to stay with your stuff at the take-out (do NOT leave it unattended). Advice on the CW: watch for guys in jet boats, not watching out for canoeists.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Yo! I know so modern eh! Sorry just in a mood. FWW requires so so many things IMO to rent a boat but hey they is their program not knocking it they have changed their selection of available inflatables to include some modern boats just not 10 year old Mariva's. That being said you can paddle up to Delta Clear Water Lake if the option of floating down to the Tanana Take out.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/deltajct/floatgde.htm

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/deltajct/floatmap.htm

There has been an increase in power boat traffic over the years which IMO is a little scary however still an enjoyable float trip. Use the above posted link to best choice for your efforts. That being said because of the power boat traffic I would stay away from a canoe however that is me and everyone has choices to make concerning what their comfort level is.

If you PM ICEBEAR this form she lives not to far away from the river. If you get stuck in a situations that requires assistance let me know I will leave an inflatable with her and you two can work out the details. Running down to the Tanana is not that big a deal however will add a day to your trip. Also talk to Stid and Dennis they both have lots of details and are always willing to share.

Also go to the search engine same forum type in Delta Clear Water upper right corner you will find the data you need.

Call me if you have any questions requiring more details. Not trying to sell or rent you something honest. 907-978-3972

Regards

RMM
    Blue Moose Rafting.

Not to be an arse, but if this is an ANNUAL float trip, you should know the answers to many of your questons. There is no boat rental down there that I am aware of. You could rent a raft from say Independant Retals here in Fairbanks, and take it down there. There are also a couple other rental places here in Fairbanks for canoes and rafts.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Yo! I know so modern eh! Sorry just in a mood. FWW requires so so many things IMO to rent a boat but hey they is their program not knocking it they have changed their selection of available inflatables to include some modern boats just not 10 year old Mariva's. That being said you can paddle up to Delta Clear Water Lake if the option of floating down to the Tanana Take out.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/deltajct/floatgde.htm

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/deltajct/floatmap.htm

There has been an increase in power boat traffic over the years which IMO is a little scary however still an enjoyable float trip. Use the above posted link to best choice for your efforts. That being said because of the power boat traffic I would stay away from a canoe however that is me and everyone has choices to make concerning what their comfort level is.

If you PM ICEBEAR this form she lives not to far away from the river. If you get stuck in a situations that requires assistance let me know I will leave an inflatable with her and you two can work out the details. Running down to the Tanana is not that big a deal however will add a day to your trip. Also talk to Stid and Dennis they both have lots of details and are always willing to share.

Also go to the search engine same forum type in Delta Clear Water upper right corner you will find the data you need.

Call me if you have any questions requiring more details. Not trying to sell or rent you something honest. 907-978-3972

Regards

RMM
    Blue Moose Rafting.
    I know there have been failed attempts in the past to get an engine size restriction put the Clearwater. I run it in my older 16ft Wooldridge, which IMO a nice sized boat for that small river. I have seen some HUGE boats on the Clearwater, and it gets scary on the upper reaches with those monsters going 150mph. I'd have no problem seeing an engine size restriction in place (similar to the Kenai)
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Thank you all so much for the responses! What generous offers from you folks! A lot of good info here. Is there any other place to take out, that is before the Tanana? Looks like nothing but private property. That way we could bring a raft and not have to deal with paddling upstream to the lake. After hearing about jet boats it would make me feel better to be in raft, plus we could bring one with us rather than dealing with a rental. Btw, HOTY, if you read my post it says "annual grayling trip" we were looking to add the float to our vacation. Obviously I wouldn't ask questions I knew the answer to. We fished there last year but didn't find any good wade fishing downstream of the campground...all the banks were really muddy...the scary stuff that you get stuck in. Is there good wade fishing to found? I have read there is but didn't find it when we went.

We fished there last year but didn't find any good wade fishing downstream of the campground...all the banks were really muddy...the scary stuff that you get stuck in. Is there good wade fishing to found? I have read there is but didn't find it when we went.
    Go upstream for wading....You went the wrong direction.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Thanks Jedi! Is there a lot of river to cover by foot? I can hike/fish all day...save us from dealing with a boat.

Wow, what a lot of bad experiances alot of you have had, lol.

I've been going up and down that river for almost 50 years, and yes I live here.

If you have a canoe there is usally a regada that happens on the 4th of July weekend.

And for those of you that are going to float the river this year, there is a guy that is named Walter that is trying to rebuild that old lodge about 2 miles up from the outlet on the left.

If you want his number P.M. me. ( for a little tip he might be able to haul a raft back into the lake for you, I don't know how that would work, have to ask him)

And now there is a big sign at the outlet telling you where its at.

Have fun.

http://www.fairbankspaddlers.org/

These are the ones that had the regda, not sure if they are going to do it this year, give them a call.

Thank you all so much for the responses! What generous offers from you folks! A lot of good info here. Is there any other place to take out, that is before the Tanana? Looks like nothing but private property. That way we could bring a raft and not have to deal with paddling upstream to the lake. After hearing about jet boats it would make me feel better to be in raft, plus we could bring one with us rather than dealing with a rental. Btw, HOTY, if you read my post it says "annual grayling trip" we were looking to add the float to our vacation. Obviously I wouldn't ask questions I knew the answer to. We fished there last year but didn't find any good wade fishing downstream of the campground...all the banks were really muddy...the scary stuff that you get stuck in. Is there good wade fishing to found? I have read there is but didn't find it when we went.
    I did read your post. I just misinterpreted what you wrote.