Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stud muffins?

Question stud muffins?

How many of you stud muffins out there hunt brown or griz, alone, without buds, guides or any backup, using smaller than .338 cal., pistols, archery or muzzleloaders? Zero responses to this would indicate: (1) no one does it or (2) no one alive does it.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default this count?

does a knife count?

I did it this year with my .308 - Didnt take anything though....Saw nothing worthy of making me wait another 4 years to take another one...

Default I'm gona try it next week.

I'm headed out on Sunday for the Denali Hwy. I plan on staying all week or until something gets loaded into the truck. It was going to be an archery hunt but now that I'm going by myself I will be carrying my 300 ultra instead. Haven't heard anything good out of that area this year but they have to be there. Hopefully if I put enough time into it something will work out.
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

I actually like hunting alone, I prefer to hunt with a bow, with a side arm of course (44 mag) I do mix it up every now and then, when i went to Denali hwy, I took a 300 win. mag. I would always tell the wife i was going with someone until she found out i was hunting alone...She then bought me an Iridium phone. I have walked up to bears in the past and they have not bothered me as long as I kept my distance. I walked up to a large black bear sow with 3 new cubs last week going to the stand and she saw me and knew I was there, I just watched until they were done then they scurried off. i have pics. I do park my ATV at least a hundred yards from my bait, but I have figured out that they relate that sound to food. So it doesn't phase them...but yeah i do like doing it alone, does it make me a more accomplished hunter? ...no not really, it's just me and the elements...K

Talking more confidence?

Kalahari: I 'm with you. I don't know if it makes one a better hunter...maybe is a better hunter to start with? At least, one would have to be more confident in one's ability and skills to handle the remote conditions and any situations that may arise...physical and mental. When one's alone, confidence is paramont, don't you think?

Year before last with a Ruger #1 in .30-06.
    Now what ?

Default Going it alone

Then there is the reality of not really knowing who you are hunting with if you go with someone else. Sometimes when you get out in the bush, people start to show their true colors and/or abberations. Going it alone can be a very worthwhile endeavor. You sometimes come face to face with yourself.

Default Its done

I took my first coastal brownie solo, with a 300WSM. I tracked it into an estuary closed the gap to 25 yards three quick shots later and the rest is history. Now he's over the banister. I believe its an excellent way to hunt big bears if you've done your homework and are prepared. Enough said. Its been a very traditional way to prove oneself for longer than the whiteman.

three years ago, shot interior grizz with a model 7 in 7mm-08 with 140 gr partitions, that bear squares 8`6" and just short of a 26" skull. I was also hunting alone which I prefer.

Default solo hunting

I have hunted sheep solo and have found out that I don't esp. enjoy it. Hunting during the day solo is enjoyable but what I miss the most is the night time camaraderie over a hot mountain house and the ability to commiserate with someone else if the hunting is lousy, weather crummy, something breaks etc. This may be because I hunted so many years with my different sons or that I enjoy having someone else along to share the experience with. After a week or 10 days by myself in the mountains I find that I start talking out loud to myself....I have never yet been in an argument with myself!

Default think safety

Weird stuff happens.

Seen people pull thier backs just getting outta the truck.

Seen people break a leg while just walking on flat level ground.

Strokes come outta nowhere.

Wouldn't that be a hoot to have a stroke near a bear while all alone.

Feel yourself eaten alive while not being able to respond....just drool and sit there.

be safe.

think about your kids and loved ones.

use the buddy system.

Besides, ain't shared memories the best memories....take your kid or best friend.

jedi

I got my griz with a 7x57 years ago.Maybe not totally smart but I got it.I hunt all the time alone.I guess I just don't worry about it that much.But I also pay attention.I enjoy it.
    I have been to the Brooks twice by myself,it just life and how I live it.Nobody ever wants to go.I won't stay home and hope I went.

Default i can understand that

Quote Originally Posted by TILT View Post
    I got my griz with a 7x57 years ago.Maybe not totally smart but I got it.I hunt all the time alone.I guess I just don't worry about it that much.But I also pay attention.I enjoy it.
    I have been to the Brooks twice by myself,it just life and how I live it.Nobody ever wants to go.I won't stay home and hope I went.
    The buddy system is the best....but if everybody has other plans, I don't blame you for going alone...all my hunts are better with my brother or best friend along though...someone needs to be a witness to all those great shots I make.
    and help gut, skin, butcher and pack.

Done it before but not the wisest thing to do.... the few times I went out this year I was carrying a 30-06 with baby eagle for side arm

Question Does a fat 11 year old dog count?

I have spent a lot of time alone hunting the brown. One thing about an old dog is that he stops on a dime with a flick of the wrist. Like the time I was crawling along a set of large (still wet) tracks up a bluff above the river. I showed him my palm and he stopped and sat. Soon the smell of rotting flesh was over powering me and I knew that brown ******* was right there in the alder with me. I got to the lip of the bluff and I decided to bring the dog closer and slowly turned around for my "back up". He already had his back up on the boat! I crawled back down the bluff with a nervous grin and an open eye. I stood there a long time wanting to go back up, but if he was too scared then by God so would I be! Solo hunting means knowing when to push it and I didn't that time.
    I carry an Rem 8MM Mag and a .454 Casull if I am not going far.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Here's a link to what I did this past November alone. Only wish I had a piece of charcoal up my butt at the time. My wife would have a 1 carat diamond ring now.

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforum...SSAGES=28&FF=6

I have done it alone with a bow.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Does Huntlng alone???

Make you more of a man?
    I hunt alone and I love it, mostly because I can go when I want and return when I want. I have taken both Brown and Black Bears alone. But! Heck! I know a lady that lives on Kodiak Island that is 5'2" 120 (all grit and muscle) that hunts Brown Bear alone. She has taken two Kodiak Bears Alone, I don't think hunting alone means you are a bigger person, cuse she is a little bitty thing
    Ornery as all get out too :-)

Talking grit

Quote Originally Posted by cusackla View Post
    Make you more of a man?
    I hunt alone and I love it, mostly because I can go when I want and return when I want. I have taken both Brown and Black Bears alone. But! Heck! I know a lady that lives on Kodiak Island that is 5'2" 120 (all grit and muscle) that hunts Brown Bear alone. She has taken two Kodiak Bears Alone, I don't think hunting alone means you are a bigger person, cuse she is a little bitty thing
    Ornery as all get out too :-)
    I wouldn't say size matters or gender...a couple of the best hunters I know are ladies (smallish also)...their trophy rooms are envied, if such things matter. But I will say that it comes down to GRIT...without it, hunting alone in remote places won't work out.Not saying it's always wise, but a lot of times, it's either alone or sit on the sofa at home, depressed as heck.Ciao.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast