Thread: Wanting to Explore Whittier

Default Wanting to Explore Whittier

Ok folks,

I just purchased my first ocean boat a few weeks or so ago so it's all new to me. I've spent the last two weekends on the lakes doing a good shake-down of everything and we are ready to start exploring the sound. We've been river rats for the last 8-9 years so we have no idea where to start. We'd like to head out of Whittier the weekend of the 12th for a 3 day trip and I guess more so, where would a guy start? I've launched my river boat once there and made a run out to Coghill for bears several years ago but that's as much as I know. We have shrimp pots and would like to find at least one chicken hole for butts. Not looking for any ones honey holes but the more common places if possible. Any suggestions, books, maps etc. and thanks in advance for any info.

know you FUEL range , don't run out, no gas out there, SID

One of the best resources you could get would be The Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound. It covers almost all of the bays, hazards, must-see sights, and more.

For fishing, there really aren't any "common places" or chicken holes for halibut short of going almost all the way to the Gulf/Montague. You can find halibut closer in, but always expect spotty fishing. The Sound is deep, and unless you're willing to drop 1,200'+, consistent halibut fishing is tough to come by. You can catch some, no doubt, but it is a patient man's game in the few shallower areas, and there are no go-to commonly known areas within ~40 miles of Whittier. Shrimp, rockfish, and salmon, though, can be found in abundance.

Contact Steve at Ak shrimp pots. He will teach you how to shrimp and also sells the Lethcoe's Cruising guide to PWS.
    He's on Farmers loop in Palmer.
    BK

Thanks for all the input so far. So butts will be out for now, the wife wants to drop the shrimp pots and fish for salmon/rockfish. Now the question I'll have to figure out is where to go? I'll do some research and reading through the archives on here to see what I can come up with. I'll try to get in touch with Steve for some pointers and the book.

I wouldn't say halibut are out by any means, just don't expect consistent action. If you get a nice sunny day in the Sound, there's nothing at all wrong with putting down a few lines and lazing the day away while waiting for a strike. They're there, just deeper and sometimes not in the numbers of other ports. By all means, though, give it a shot.

Iím not sure of your range, but I had my best halibut fishingever in the sound this past weekend. My dad, son and I headed out to Smith Islandand picked up 6 on Saturday and as for shrimp yeah no good out that way for me.Sunday we picked up 6 on the N side of Perry Island, along with some shrimp. Biggesthalibut 53 inches and only 2 under 15 lbs, several in the upper 20ís. Studymaps and find few places to fish while you shrimp. Then fish them on different tides and seewhat works best for that spot. You will find them, just might be pulling theanchor often to try different spots, or you could drift. good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    Thanks for all the input so far. So butts will be out for now, the wife wants to drop the shrimp pots and fish for salmon/rockfish. Now the question I'll have to figure out is where to go? I'll do some research and reading through the archives on here to see what I can come up with. I'll try to get in touch with Steve for some pointers and the book.
    It's probably a little early to be getting into silvers close to Whittier, but I'm sure there will be some pinks. As far as rock fish closer in, I've picked some up in the N end of Culross Passage at the opening of the large bay on Culross Island, I've also picked them up at the S end of the passage around Applegate Island. The fishing isn't hot and the fish are on the smaller side, but if you drift those areas with jigs you should be able to get some bites. Another closer in spot is the Bay on the S end of Perry Island. Check your charts for pinnacles and drift over them.

As a general rule I find the best fishing is in areas that see strong tides and current further out in the sound, i.e the tips of islands and mouths of bays.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thanks for the info. I may end up heading down to Seward and out to Pony cove and mess around. The wife really wants to go out of Whittier and do some exploring and shrimping so we'll see. My range is around 300-350 miles so not sure were that'll get me too and back from. I do know that I'll plan the fuel like I do when running the rivers, 1/3 to get there, 1/3 to play around and 1/3 to get back. I'll carry some extra with me but also be really conservative. Now just have to figure out the rigs for trolling, didn't have to worry about all of this in the rivers. I have the down riggers but will need to buy the tackle for this. Good reason to get new stuff, and the wife approves because she wants it too!!!!!!

What I learned about fuel is 1/3 out, 1/3 back, and 1/3 for reserve. If you do 1/3 there, 1/3 play around, and 1/3 to get back then you've used up all you have. So maybe figure your range is closer to 100 or so miles which will get you pretty much as far as anyone would want to go over a weekend (meaning 100 miles out and then 100 miles back).

It will take several seasons to scratch the surface of what there is to see within 100 miles of Whittier, get the Lethcoe cruising guide and start planning. The nice thing is you can let your shrimp pots do the work while you're on shore exploring. If you catch some fish that's a bonus.

If you're heading out to Pony, try drifting in Chevalle Narrows and use either a mooching rig or a jig if you're not set up for trolling. I've found you can do quite well on silvers w/o trolling.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

The best places to fish halibut, or any fish, are the places no one ever fishes or would think to fish. I've caught my biggest halibut in less than 100 feet of water.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am