Thread: Was this legal?

Default Was this legal?

Was fishing the mouth of Sheep Cr this morning and had a guy walk down next to me and whip out a bag of hooligan, bait his hook and toss it out in the river. Said he was fishing for burbot. Just curious if this was legal with the no bait restrictions on all the rivers? I'm pretty sure the guy was actually fishing for burbot but I am curious if F&G showed up what they would have said/done? If the guy had put a glob of eggs on his line I would have called BS on him but hooligan aren't exactly a king bait so I didn't say anything.

Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post

Hmmm...I don't see anything there that allows bait. The general rules for section 2 state single hook no bait until July 14th.

pg 22...in all waters except trophy rainbow trout areas and rainbow catch and release areas and in big lake, bait may be used....the regs are pretty specific about HOW you can use bait (must rest on the bottom of the river/creek, must be closely attended, must have a certain type and size of hook)...etc etc
    Taxidermy IS art!

Ahh, I see that now. I don't fish burbot so I never have paid attention to it. Good to know he was legal. The guy said he has had run-ins with F&G over using bait and I was just curious.

Emergency order #6 prohibits bait and requires one single hook in all waters of the Susitna drainage regardless of what you are fishing for.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...n.R2&Year=2014

It states in the EO that fishing in unit 2 for other species will not be affected

I swear I think sometimes the state writes their regs JUST to be confusing....
    Taxidermy IS art!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    It states in the EO that fishing in unit 2 for other species will not be affected

I swear I think sometimes the state writes their regs JUST to be confusing....
    Huh....

That doesn't seem confusing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Huh....

That doesn't seem confusing to me.
    confusing to follow all the changes they continually make ..perhaps complicated would be a better choice of words
    Taxidermy IS art!

I was up there Saturday morning and called F&G's hotline the day before to get clarification on exactly this. The lady I talked to in the Palmer office said that no bait means no bait. According to her, it's part of the EO, not part of the regs. If the system wasn't under EO, a man could target burbot with bait and be legal. She also reminded me that under the EO C&R rule, jacks can't be retained either. That was a new one to me and based on what I saw on the slough a lot of folks aren't aware of this and are keeping their jacks.

if that is the case they should say NO BAIT for ANY/ALL species not state that fishing for other species is not affected.

This is why the regs sometimes have people really messed up...I wonder if the folks at F&G even know. LOL
    Taxidermy IS art!