Thread: Good External Pack Frame Setup???

Default Good External Pack Frame Setup???

Anybody have a favorite or opinions on an external frame pack? Looking to get one, don't want to spend too much money but if I need to I guess I will. Any Ideas?

Thanks, Schmidty

For the money I really like this one. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=90469

there are better ones out there but they cost a lot more. it is tough to beat a high dollar pack like Barney's. and they do support this forum.

Woody

I went around this mountain a couple years ago. I wanted a frame, 7000 cubic inches, less than 8lbs for $250. I ended up buying a Kelty 50th Anniversay edition pack on ebay for 165 bucks I think. Frame, 7200 cubes, 7 lbs. It works great. If you can find one it's a great pack. It's kind of a morph between an internal and frame pack.

How is your gun secured to that pack? Is it just tucked in the "levitator" pocket and tied up top or is there a specific gun holder?

The levitators are actually removable spring loaded carbon fiber jobbers that go from the pack bag to the belt to help stabalize heavy loads. They aren't a pocket. The pack has a mesh pocket on the one side and I just stick the gun in it and rigged up a big velcro strap to secure it to the frame. I can get the gun off the pack in about 3 seconds but have to take the pack off to put the gun back on. Or just have my buddy stuff it in. Here's a another pic where you can see it. And I see I forgot to lock my bolt down on my gun. whoops.

Default Alaska Range pack

I've been using a camptrails pack and don't like it too well, I had an old Peak 1 that I had for years and loved. But someone decided they wanted it worse than me and now I'm stuck with the other pack.

I saw these guys at the sportsmans show in Soldotna this spring from Homer and they are making a pack that looks like a good one to me. I'm supposed to go down this weekend to check em out and if they fit well I think I'm gonna get one. They are Alaska Range Outdoor Gear http://www.akrange.com/ and the co owner Ive been talking too is Gary. So far he has been friendly and knowledgeable and helpful. They have 2 external frame models the sheep hunter 6200 ci and the bear hunter 5400 ci.

I have also been lookin at the Badlands 4500 internal frame. But I'm not sure about an internal frame for hunting?

William

Unless it sold, someone posted a good deal here yesterday on one of the Outfitter packs.

I have a Kelty similar to Snyd's and bought it for much of the same logic. After going around the interior/exterior frame mountain, this one fit the bill for most usable.

Default Alaska Range

I've talked to Gary a few times and have been looking at these packs as well. My uncle has had two over the past few years (first one got shredded by a grizzly in the Brooks Range), says it's the most comfortable pack he's worn. He has the Bear Hunter stand-up version with the added Freighter Pack. I put one on at the Soldotna Sportmans Show and agree they are a very comfortable pack.

I was in Anchorage this last weekend and tried stopping by Barney's to check out their packs and make a comparison to the Alaska Range, but it turns out Barney's is closed on Sundays. Really wanted to look, sheep season is fast approaching and I'm definately not taking my creeky old Camptrails pack into the hills.

Jackson, If you pick one up ask Gary if he has gotten in his new aluminum screws. He was telling me they were putting aluminum screws into this summers packs and shaving 4-5 oz of the weight.

There is a kelty 50th on ebay now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kelty-50th-Anniv...QQcmdZViewItem

Default Alaska Range

AK Wonderer

I talked to Gary a couple days ago and I'm gonna go to Homer Saturday to check out all his packs. He said they just got in the bags and frames and are puttin em together this weekend. I'll ask him about the screws for sure. He also said they were gonna have a bow sling incorporated in their packs this year.

I'm really leaning towards the Bear hunter free standing with freighter pack as well. I'll let evryone know how it goes this weekend.

Jackson

Default Kelty 50th

Snyd,

A found a couple reviews on the 50th Anniv. packs, one said his frame started splitting partway through a long trip, others were saying they wished the pack had a seperate sleeping bag compartment instead of the fully open chamber. I wouldnt really worry about the fully open compartment, but would worry about the frame problem. Any frame problems? Also seems like you could start tearing out the mesh pocket where you were supporting your rifle, any problems there?

My Kelty is 4 or 5 years old now with quite a bit of use. The only hole in it came from a deer antler when I sent it bouncing down the hill in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    Snyd,

A found a couple reviews on the 50th Anniv. packs, one said his frame started splitting partway through a long trip, others were saying they wished the pack had a seperate sleeping bag compartment instead of the fully open chamber. I wouldnt really worry about the fully open compartment, but would worry about the frame problem. Any frame problems? Also seems like you could start tearing out the mesh pocket where you were supporting your rifle, any problems there?

I guess the very first ones had one large compartment, no zippered divider. Mine has a zippered divider for the sleeping bag compartment. I have had no problem with the frame. Maybe they got one with a flaw in the metal. Kelty guarantess the frames for life. I put it through the stress test last year. I regularly trained with 85lbs and did a couple training hikes with 110lbs. I then did a 12 day 50+ mile walkin sheep hunt. I know that I hauled atleast 125-140lbs several days in a row as we leaped frogged our way out with two rams and gear.

The mess pouch is very strong, I don't know what it's made of. I had no problem with it holding my gun. Then again my gun only wieghs 7lbs. The pack bag material and construction is very strong. It's made from some kind of Spectra Hardline Ripstop or something that has a tensil strength stronger than steel.

I have made one modification to the pack. Even though this is a frame pack the belt does not attach directly to the frame. It is attached to mesh fabric a panel that is attached to the frame. This gives tremedous freedom of movement in your hips. But, the belt is designed to be able to be repostioned, move up or down depending on your torso length. It sits in pocket and has two strips of velcro that keep it from sliding. I actually sewed mine in postion so that it will not slide even if I'm loaded with over 100lbs and wet. If I could change one thing about it I'd like to have a little bigger pad on the belt where it sits on your back. No biggie though.

I hauled 75lbs up and down last night with no problems and will be taking it sheep hunting again this year. So far this pack is great for me.

Perry

75 lbs, now I'm going to have to up my weight for tonights hike just so I know I'm keeping up with everyone else. Been working out in the 60-63 lb range for the last two weeks. I wish there were some mountains right next to Soldotna so I could do some mountain hikes without having to drive 25 miles toward Cooper Landing. Most of my hikes are just on some rolley cross country ski trails.

Thanks for the pack info, I may look for one and save myself some money. My hunting expenses for this year have multiplied quickly. I spent a large portion of it last weekend on a new Kimber Montana 270wsm and Doug will probably get me for some more for a Zeiss Conquest to put on top of it. Those AKU Utah boots at Alaska Mountaineering felt pretty good last weekend too.

Ya gotta love this sheep hunting huh?!? Ya get to buy all this great stuff cuz ya just gotta have it!

I spent weeks working my way up and have been at about 60 or so lbs until last night I bumped it up. It's amazing what a big difference 12 or 15 lbs can make. I definitely felt it.

Another good frame pack I am told that you might be able to find on ebay is the Dana Terraframe/Longbed/K2 Terraframe Longbed. Lots of sheep hunter s on these and the old forums swear by them. 6500 or 7000 cubes. Light, 7.5-8lbs I think and can handle the 100+lb loads.

When I was shopping I would have bought one. In fact I think a lost a couple ebay auctions.

Ya, I jumped up to a 73 lb pack for 3.3 miles last night and definately felt a big difference. I think I'll have to do some fine tuning on my pack harness to make it ride a little better before my next hike. Stiff legs this morning

Default terraframe

I have a K2/Dana Terraframe from about 1999 or 2000 or so, and it has hauled a lot of meat. It will do 100+ without problem, yet the frame is compact enough that hunting with it on, even in timber, isn't a huge deal. It doesn't hang up on much. I once did 140 lbs of elk plus the weight of the pack and some survival items, and I sure won't be duplicating that anytime soon, but the pack didn't hurt me. It wasn't comfortable, but the load stayed put, and I had no physical damage. I don't think anything over 100 lbs on any pack can ever be comfortable...

Quote Originally Posted by Vek View Post
    ...I don't think anything over 100 lbs on any pack can ever be comfortable...
    Ya no kidding....