Thread: Adding more below deck fuel tanks

Question Adding more below deck fuel tanks

I'm thinking of adding more gas tanks to my craft to increase the fuel range. I run a 22' SeaSport with a 501 Volvo Penta. It has a 70 gallon tank now, but this size limits where we want to go without bunches of fuel cans on deck. Our craft has a self bailing (sealed) deck. There are sealed places in the deck which appear to be unused space. Has anyone had any experience opening such spaces and adding more tanks? Like: How did you reseal the deck? Did you use aluminum or plastic tanks? Are there tricks to know about plumbing the tanks together? Any other aspects I should be thinking about?

I appreciate any input, IronJay

I am in the process of adding another below deck tank to my glasply, almost done. Make sure you give yourself access to the fittings on the tank. I went with a plastic tank. I have twin engines and I plan on plumbing the pickup line into a manifold I already have onboard, I have two tanks already.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I have the exact same boat. Someone professionally built 2 aluminum 18 gallon tanks (Coast Guard approved stickers and fuel gauges on each)(can't see them well enough though) and placed them behind the cabin on each side. A bracket on top of them allows for the securing of 2 vinyl swivel seats on top of each tank. Then a three-way switch was installed on the gunnel. Works well.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I don't have the same boat but added 63 gallons to mine, most of the time if there is the will there is a way. Post some pics, just might inspire someone.

Before cutting up your deck I'd look into installing a pair of saddle tanks under the gunnels.

Not as clean as an underdeck installation, but a much simpler installation.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Default Good Idea

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I have the exact same boat. Someone professionally built 2 aluminum 18 gallon tanks (Coast Guard approved stickers and fuel gauges on each)(can't see them well enough though) and placed them behind the cabin on each side. A bracket on top of them allows for the securing of 2 vinyl swivel seats on top of each tank. Then a three-way switch was installed on the gunnel. Works well.
    Thanks for the ideas. Were your extra tanks installed below decks? Sounds like maybe they are above deck with the seats mounted on them? The inboard takes up so much of the deck space that I hate to use up more. We are always either shrimping or fishing and the deck space is valuable. More range would be worth a little less space, though.