Thread: Stop over in Fairbanks

Default Stop over in Fairbanks

Well, we are 4 weeks today, from leaving on another great adventure north. Driving from Kansas to Happy Valley Camp air strip, to fly out on an early caribou hunt. If our travels go as planned, we will be in Fairbanks on Friday August 1st, and leave out sometime on the 3rd, to continue on north. Would enjoy meeting with anyone that would want to have a beverage and chew the fat, have a burger or steak, or what ever. Have enjoyed being a part of this forum community for several years now, and would just like to meet face to face with some of you. We will be driving a big Dodge diesel crew cab pulling a trailer with freezer, to hopefully put a few bou in. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about the drive up the Haul road. What can we expect this time of year, and how long will it take to get to Happy Valley from Fairbanks. Knute

Pulling a trailer to Happy Valley Depending on how fast you drive, plan on about 10 hours.

Road condition in August will be like usual, LONG, Rough, Muddy, Dusty, Maybe a little snow on the pass but not usually a big deal, LOTS of traffic.

My wife & I might be up there hunting around the 4th of August for a couple of days before I fly in for sheep.

We drive a Crew cab Dodge with Zebra Stripes.

Good luck & have a great time.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Consider leaving the trailer in Fairbanks?

We drove the road in May and I didn't think it was nearly as bad as some people told
    Me it was going to be.

Consider taking chains, I know a fella that barely came out of an august trip die to a surprise snow storm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    We drove the road in May and I didn't think it was nearly as bad as some people told
    Me it was going to be.
    Agree with the above. The hype regarding how bad the haul road is just that, big Alaskan hype. The haul road is mild and I wouldn't think twice of driving a Prius on it. Hell, I've seen ford trucks all up and down that road so clearly it's not bad. I think a lot of the hype is based off Alaskans not knowing what a bad road is, with the lack of actual roads in the state it's clear why they are so inexperienced on them.

Hay we need to have a Kansas get togeather before you go !
    Doug

The hype regarding how bad the haul road is just that, big Alaskan hype. The haul road is mild and I wouldn't think twice of driving a Prius on it. Hell, I've seen ford trucks all up and down that road so clearly it's not bad. I think a lot of the hype is based off Alaskans not knowing what a bad road is, with the lack of actual roads in the state it's clear why they are so inexperienced on them.[/QUOTE]

Dont go unprepared though. To fix a flat in Coldfoot will cost you whatever they want to charge (north of $150 if memory serves me correctly). I travel that road probably 5 to 7 times a year and replace my windshield on an annual basis because of it. Don't fool yourself. The truckers talk to each other and if you make one of em mad they will relay it up and down the road and when they do you may as well go home cause it isn't fun anymore. They will spray you with gravel and hog the road ( they do that anyway but make em mad and see how little road you get to drive on). Be nice to them and give them lots of room.

give us a shout on here when you hit Fairbanks / North Pole.

I still claim Columbus, Kansas as my home town.

That's down by Pittsburg for you big city slicks

Chris