Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which revolver & caliber?

Default Which revolver & caliber?

I have been shooting .44 Mags since the early 70's and like it for what it is. My current .44 mag. is a S&W Mountain Gun which is a handy little package. I have wanted to get a double action Ruger for quite some time and can't decide on caliber, but the .45 Colt is my first choice. The other two calibers I'm thinking about are the .480 Ruger and 454 Casull. I don't want the gun to be so big I won't want to carry it in a Guides Choice Holster and I'm not interested in ruining my hand shooting super duper stump killers. Ready to hear your thoughts and experiences.

I spent a lot of time looking for a SW DA revolver in .45Colt once upon a time. I ended up saving a few hundred bucks off the purchase price of a used SW when I found an NIB .45 Colt Redhawk. It had some teething problems. Got those ironed out. The Ruger is still heavy. I do OK with it in a simply rugged pancake, but it's not an every day carry kinda package.

IIRC fully loaded with 12 spare rounds in speed loaders it comes to three pounds with no leather. If I had a SW mountain gun in .44 at my disposal I would only carry the Redhawk in brownie country.

Given that, I would try shooting a Ruger in .480 to see if I could handle it. If I could manage the .480 OK I would probably keep the SW mountain gun for most days, carry the 480 in brownie country and sell the 45 Redhawk. Personally. I swear that redhawk gets heavier every year. Must absorb cosmic rays or sumthun.

I think the .454 is too much of a good thing... A .45 Colt Redhawk would be nice.

Between the .454 and .480...I'd take the .480 but all those SRHs are heavy and big.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

.45 Colt gets my vote.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I have been shooting .44 Mags since the early 70's and like it for what it is. My current .44 mag. is a S&W Mountain Gun which is a handy little package. I have wanted to get a double action Ruger for quite some time and can't decide on caliber, but the .45 Colt is my first choice. The other two calibers I'm thinking about are the .480 Ruger and 454 Casull. I don't want the gun to be so big I won't want to carry it in a Guides Choice Holster and I'm not interested in ruining my hand shooting super duper stump killers. Ready to hear your thoughts and experiences.
    IMO, and for my purposes, I think you made great choices already, with S&W Mountain Gun, in 44 Mag.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The gun you have is small enough to carry, and big enough to do the "job". The 454's and 480's are BIG, HEAVY revolvers. I have found them to be too big to comfortably carry. Some folks like the chest holsters, but I am not a fan of that many straps. Shoulder straps should be for backpacks, not handguns. If I can't carry it comfortably on my belt, I'm not really interested in carrying it at all. An S&W N frame 4 or 5 inch is the limit for me in size and weight. But just my opinion. No one ever said I was opinionated.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Unless you just want a new gun you have everything covered with your S&W. I believe Larry Kelly's elephant count with the 44mag was eleven.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

...and Elmer Keith killed just about everything with a hot loaded .44 Spl before the mag came along...wait, maybe he did that with a .357 mag before that. Hard cast flat nose in the right spot will work, I believe.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I really like my 480 Ruger. Sent it to Wildwest Guns in Anchorage and had the wolverine treatment done to it. In now weighs in about 39 oz with a 4 5/8 inch barrel. Had the trigger job done to it (smooth as any S&W) and had it cut for moon clips (well worth it, no one makes speed loaders for it). I did not have the barrel ported (not needed recoil is not that bad). Also had a friend coat it with Cericote, looks wonderful. Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

[QUOTE=.338 mag.;1404454]I have been shooting .44 Mags since the early 70's and like it for what it is. My current .44 mag. is a S&W Mountain Gun which is a handy little package. I have wanted to get a double action Ruger for quite some time and can't decide on caliber, but the .45 Colt is my first choice. The other two calibers I'm thinking about are the .480 Ruger and 454 Casull. I don't want the gun to be so big I won't want to carry it in a Guides Choice Holster and I'm not interested in ruining my hand shooting super duper stump killers. Ready to hear your thoughts and experiences.[/QUOTE

.338Mag.,,,,, FWIW, It's been awhile, but I was exactly in the same position, ie... had the S&W .44 Mtn. Gun SS-[see attachment]- below.
    I've been shooting .44's now, for about 40yrs. +/-, got my first one after getting back from Viet-Nam summer 1971, as pointed out here, more than a few times, it's really all the Hand-Gun you need, with the right Loads, again-[if you can do your part, and"Hold your water", as my Grandfather used to say,,]- and it's still "Packable" again as mentioned more than once on this and many other "Forums" if you don't have it with you, you may not be around to wish you had, kind of hard to push the "Replay-Button" in real life. I would still be packing that Rig, if not for the S&W 329PD .44Mag. -[see attached below]-
    I would like to give you my take on the Ammo I use, most of my shooting over the years with the .44 was with .44 Spl. loads, my grandfather knew Elmer Keith, from buying and selling Horses and Cattle back in the day, any way Elmer had shared with my grandfather some of his ideas on the .44 and it's development as it were in those days, this was the early 50's, as I remember some of the stories that were told, I've still got his, S&W MD#-57 .41Mag, that was the gun I actually learned to shoot with, before getting my first .44 Mag. As it's well documented, the Smith's can't handle a steady diet of the real Heavy "Bear-Loads" that are available today, again, I shoot the lighter loads for practice, but also shoot some of the "Heavier-Loads" as well at the same time in my 329PD, so I'm prepared for that increase in horse-power, and that's what I finish-up with, before going into the field.
    So I guess in closing here, I'd have to say, that you've got a pretty nice "Rig" right now, but,,,, if it's a "New-Gun" your after, Get-er-done.

Current "Bear" Load's being used:
    Buffalo-Bore .44Mag. LR-Keith 255grn. GC
    Buffalo-Bore .44Mag. HR-300grn. JFN
    Buffalo-Bore .44Mag. HR-305grn. LBT-LFN
    Alaska Backpacker .44Mag. 300 & 320grn. LBT-LFN, loaded by Bob Wiseman in Soldotna, AK.

Attachment 79373Attachment 79374
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

I like that you are not trying to 'justify' a new handgun but rather state that you want to get another. The mountain gun is hard to beat for hiking/fishing/etc and is much handier than the big Ruger. That said- I really like the old 45 Colt. Can be mild to wild and does everything in between. I even carried a S&W model 25-5 when on duty as a reserve officer in a small town in Texas.
    Good luck on your decision- don't think you can make a bad choice!

Now, I can "hold my water" with the best of 'em, but I always shoot better when I'm comfortable and my eyeballs ain't float'n....so, I always go off to the side and make water before commenc'n to sling lead fer practice.

And speak'n of being comfortable, I don't care for them high pressure super duper stump killer kind of loads, being as they hurt my paws and the bones what's attached to my paws. And being as I'm also a simple kind of feller, I don't cotton to mak'n up different loads fer practice versus when I'm suspect'n ol' fuzzy butt might wanna eat me....I'm preferable to pack'n and shoot'n just one gun and one load. It makes fer less confusion thataway. That there is why I like the .45; it don't need a stupid amount of pressure to sling a big fat heavy bullet, so it don't hurt to shoot it with loads what'll kill a bear. And I don't gotta worry about buy'n or cast'n different bullets, and mak'n up different loads, and try'n to keep 'em all separate, and I don't gotta worry if my six shooter is properly dressed for whatever occasion might come to hand.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Current "Bear" Load's being used:
    Buffalo-Bore .44Mag. LR-Keith 255grn. GC
    Buffalo-Bore .44Mag. HR-300grn. JFN
    Buffalo-Bore .44Mag. HR-305grn. LBT-LFN
    Alaska Backpacker .44Mag. 300 & 320grn. LBT-LFN, loaded by Bob Wiseman in Soldotna, AK.

Attachment 79373Attachment 79374
    That's only 4 loads. What do you use in the other holes in the cylinder?

I understand. I have 3 Bear loads myself.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Now, I can "hold my water" with the best of 'em, but I always shoot better when I'm comfortable and my eyeballs ain't float'n....so, I always go off to the side and make water before commenc'n to sling lead fer practice.

And speak'n of being comfortable, I don't care for them high pressure super duper stump killer kind of loads, being as they hurt my paws and the bones what's attached to my paws. And being as I'm also a simple kind of feller, I don't cotton to mak'n up different loads fer practice versus when I'm suspect'n ol' fuzzy butt might wanna eat me....I'm preferable to pack'n and shoot'n just one gun and one load. It makes fer less confusion thataway. That there is why I like the .45; it don't need a stupid amount of pressure to sling a big fat heavy bullet, so it don't hurt to shoot it with loads what'll kill a bear. And I don't gotta worry about buy'n or cast'n different bullets, and mak'n up different loads, and try'n to keep 'em all separate, and I don't gotta worry if my six shooter is properly dressed for whatever occasion might come to hand.
    Sound Logic, thar, Cahboy.

We don't hafta learn you much.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

iofthetaiga;1404838]Now, I can "hold my water" with the best of 'em, but I always shoot better when I'm comfortable and my eyeballs ain't float'n....so, I always go off to the side and make water before commenc'n to sling lead fer practice.

[/QUOTE]

iofthetaiga;,,,, Sounds like you've got a system that works for you, and as well, I've got a system that works for me, so that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
    You take care, and "keep your nose in the wind".
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

The 454 will shoot the hottest 45 LC rounds available. However the 45 LC won't even come close to handling a 454 power round. The 454 gives you the option of both rounds.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

You could one of the new S&W mod 69........

5 shot 44 mag on a L- frame.....

I'm a sucker for new things, so I bought one. Carries nice.... Shoots nice.... gonna sell my 329 and keep the mod 69....

It's 2 oz. lighter than my 629 mountain gun, not a big difference, but slimmer.

Lots of choices out there........
    "The older I get, the better I was."

travelers: thanks for the posting. I was wondering about the 69. Let us know how it holds up after you get some rounds down range.

I can offer you $7 in cash for that underbuilt 329; just to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    travelers: thanks for the posting. I was wondering about the 69. Let us know how it holds up after you get some rounds down range.

I can offer you $7 in cash for that underbuilt 329; just to help you out.
    I've got about 500 rounds down range....... I think it'll hold up better than my 329.........

$7 in CASH is pretty tempting.........but I would feel guilty, cause some of the finish is worn off around the trigger guard...LOL
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    The gun you have is small enough to carry, and big enough to do the "job". The 454's and 480's are BIG, HEAVY revolvers. I have found them to be too big to comfortably carry. Some folks like the chest holsters, but I am not a fan of that many straps. Shoulder straps should be for backpacks, not handguns. If I can't carry it comfortably on my belt, I'm not really interested in carrying it at all. An S&W N frame 4 or 5 inch is the limit for me in size and weight. But just my opinion. No one ever said I was opinionated.
    There is a difference, but its not that big.

5.0 S&W 629 .44 Rem. Mag. = 44.3 oz.: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

5.0 Ruger SRH .454 Casull = 47.0 oz: http://www.ruger.com/products/superR...DE/models.html

A 2.7 ounce difference.

SRH .454 = S&W 629 + 13 quarters. Or SRH .454 = (1.06 ) S&W 629. Stated otherwise, if a SRH .454 is BIG & HEAVY, a S&W 629 is 94.3% of BIG & HEAVY.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast