Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Survivial Trip: 2+ months, "living off the land"

Default Alaska Survivial Trip: 2+ months, "living off the land"

That's my plan. I'm leaving Monday and am packing no food. I'll be based in the Admiralty Island area. I am working hard to keep everything completely legal, no hunting until each of the various seasons open.

Before hunting season opens it will be mostly fishing, crabbing and berry picking with some other misc. plants mixed in for variety.

Anyway, the planning is done and it's time to get out there. You can check out my plans and gear list and find a link to my journal (I should be able to get cell/data coverage in certain areas) here. Please check it out!

Man Buck, you never cease to amaze! That sounds like a dandy time, even with the high volume of bears.
    I certainly look forward to following your progress.

Good luck man.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Man Buck, you never cease to amaze! That sounds like a dandy time, even with the high volume of bears.
    I certainly look forward to following your progress.

Good luck man.
    Thanks a lot AlaskaHippie. I hope to minimize bear problems by careful campsite selection. I'm also going to bring a bear fence with me for the first time to protect camp while I'm gone.

Roger on the fence, that island would kinda demand it. Are you running solar to keep it charged, I assume? Also, I have to ask, are you bringing things to supplement the menu (i.e. salt/vitamins, etc)?
    I had to grin over the "careful campsite selection", my first thought was Tree House!!!
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Change your last name to Hasselborg. Shouldn't have any problems with the bears then.

Good luck and enjoy.Porkys and squirrel look out.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Buck:

That sounds like an amazing trip and I wish you good luck. I do have a question for you since I have never been to Admiralty Island- when do the berries start coming out? I am looking forward to following your journal.

Good luck, Buck.
    talk about 'living the dream!'
    what will you come up with next.....

Hey Sayak, I've never read "Bear Man of Admiralty Island" but I've got a copy to read on some of those rainy evenings.

Amigo Will, I might get a squirrel or two before regular hunting season opens. I read there are no porcupines on Admiralty, but I don't know for sure. I think the brown bears there have chased off and/or ate a lot of species normally found in Alaska!

AKBEE, I've read that there should be salmon berries ripe already and blueberries soon, if there aren't some ripe already. Won't know for sure until I get there.

Hey Nick, thanks. I hope it's not one of those trips that seem a lot more fun during the planning than during the experience. Actually I am sure it will be challenging plenty of times but those are the trips that tend to make the best memories

Hey Buck, I hear you're packing a pressure cooker and some canning jars too(?). Pretty skookum plan, I think. Looking forward to following your adventure.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Hey Buck, I hear you're packing a pressure cooker and some canning jars too(?). Pretty skookum plan, I think. Looking forward to following your adventure.
    Thanks iofthetaiga. It seems like a sensible way to preserve food in that environment with no one to leave at camp keeping on eye on a drying/smoking operation. If I have good berry picking or get a big halibut or when I get a blacktail (hopefully) I can can up a supply of food for when the rain is pounding down particularly hard or the water is rough or the fish aren't biting.

How many jars/lids are you bringing?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

One of those hanging tents about 20' up would be awesome! http://www.tentsile.com/products/stingray-tree-tent Could sleep like a baby then. I look forward to staying up on your journal. I've always enjoyed survival books, documentaries and movies. Good luck and be safe.

AZinAK

Awesome, gonna follow your journal.

Good luck to you Buck, that sounds like one hell of a trip. I'll definitely be following along. Be safe and take care buddy.

I was kinda wondering what the plan was.....will you just kayak around the island? Will you go overland for a day or more or pretty much be back at camp every night?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Default Plans

I'm bringing three dozen jars with a full set of extra lids. I'm thinking having a dozen for the deer, a dozen for berries and a dozen for fish/crabs. The only thing left is to actually get all that stuff.

AZINAK that tree tent is pretty cool. Be hard to use a wood stove to dry out though. I'm going to keep a gun handy and camp in a good spot and sleep soundly anyway.

jakeg1999 and AK Troutbum, (nice sheep!) thanks.

4merguide (also a nice ram!) I usually like to cover a lot of country but I'm going heavy this time and will be traveling primarily for the day and operating out of a series of base camps. It's Forest Service land so I'll have to move every couple of weeks. I am bringing a tiny backpack tent for a probable foray into the high country for deer, or to neighboring bays for exploration.

I ran into a few years back on the PCT, glad to see you are heading out on another adventure. I will be following your journal.

Good luck Buck and be safe man!

Quote Originally Posted by whodat78 View Post
    I ran into a few years back on the PCT, glad to see you are heading out on another adventure. I will be following your journal.

Good luck Buck and be safe man!
    Good luck to you! I was just talking with my wife about how few people historically truly "lived off the land." From early explorers, mountain men, trappers, long hunters, etc, all brought supplies with them, and supplemented those supplies with local edibles. The indigenous peoples who truly lived off the land grew up in the lore, learning how to eat everything that was remotely edible. Southeast is a good place to do it, if you must, as it has great salmon runs, local trout, kelp, seaweed, mussels and urchins on the beaches, saltwater fish, and plenty of deer during season. Also check out snowshoe hare and grouse; might be an extra protein source. Better eat the innards, too, though, as they have very little fat, and its the fat that sustains life!

God bless and good luck to you. I hope all goes well for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast