Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 458 Socom and other Ammunition

Default 458 Socom and other Ammunition

I own an ammunition business in Southern IN. and we are prepping an order for shipment to AK. We want to expand the shipment but we really do not know what is need in AK. We were contacted by a few AK residents about shipping ammo to AK and we are willing to. Is there much of a demand for the 458 Socom? Is there any other calibers that are hard to get? Please no 22LR questions. Thank you for your help.

What about powder? I would do just about anything for just one pound of RL-15.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Maybe heavy-for-caliber 30-06? Like 200gr and 220gr. You are competing with $22 for Rem corlokt when it's available.

Anyone else having a problem finding 454 cassul?

Any of the common hunting calibers from .243 to .375 H&H. They seem to disappear quickly!

.44 mag not in the stores that I've been too. Is anyone else seeing it on the shelves?

Lots of .44 Mag at Cabelas the other day and today at the Wasilla Sportsmans. Sportsmans also has TONS of 9mm and .40 S&W among others. The caliber I would like to see more of is 10mm in target loads. Cabelas had some, but it's not often you come across the 50 round boxes of target. Usually just the various 20 round specialty rounds.

Thank you for your replies. 44 Mag and 454 Casull are two that we want to push. Is there a supply of 458 Socom? It is a caliber we run a lot of. If you own a shop PM me. Powders are something I will have to get more info on from the carrier who will be transporting our goods from Seattle to Anchorage. During that leg Hazmat is more of an issue. Is Cast Performance the most well liked bullets for the 44 - 454 calibers? At this time I am not posting thename of my company due to the forum regs. But I am very interested in your input. Feel free to PM me if you specific questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruger View Post
    Please no 22LR questions.
    So it's still that bad even for you eh?.........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I'm sorry to tell you but they only place your gonna find 22LR is on the side of a milk carton.

I just got off the phone with one of your gun stores in Anchorage and he was very addement about the need for 10mm. Is it that popular of a round?

I just got off the phone with one of your gun stores in Anchorage and he was very addement about the need for 10mm. Is it that popular of a round?
    I do believe there are a few that use it for bear protection........maybe more than I thought...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

10mm is fairly popular for bear defense among those who choose to carry a semi-auto sidearm in my limited experience in the interior. I mostly run with wheel gun shooters.

I would add a plus one on powder, and ask about primers. I proactively switched to calibers that can be run with black powder a couple years ago, 45 Colt, 45-70 and 12ga. BP I can get, brass I got and bullets I can cast. Primers is the key component for me. Large rifle, large pistol, and 201.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    What about powder? I would do just about anything for just one pound of RL-15.
    Last week Boondock's had several pounds of RL 15 on the shelf. Good luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Thank you for your replies. 44 Mag and 454 Casull are two that we want to push. Is there a supply of 458 Socom? It is a caliber we run a lot of.
    To answer your question about .458 Socom, NO THERE IS NO SUPPLY. Have to hand load on pretty skimpy data from what I've seen. I'd also look into ALL the big bore handgun calibers;41 mag, 44 mag, 45 colt, 454, 480 ruger, 475, 460, 500 in revolvers and 10mm and 460 Rowland in autos. Buffalo Bore supplies a lot of these calibers, but are often VERY HOT loads. I've seen at least one Glock 10mm break from using Buffalo Bore.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

4350 and RL 15 and 19 are in short supply. Many of us up here reload.

I will be upfront with the reloaders here. I am more than happy to help with components and primers but powder is still a kick in the teeth. I have 8,000 rds of 458 socom arriving this week and no powder in site.

We will be adding a line of moderately loaded Dangerous Game calibers, 375s, 400, 458s & Weatherbys.

As for our hard cast leads these will be between a brinell hardness of 21 possibly 24.

We might also test some pistol mono solid bullets.

I'm sorry to tell you but they only place your gonna find 22LR is on the side of a milk carton.

Number 1 selling Glock in Alaska....10MM
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

I shoot 458S but I am a reloader and I positioned myself fairly well so I should be self-sufficient for a long time. Also 10mm but once again, well positioned.

No way are any 458S rounds available up here.

Pistol powders are unfindable from what I have observed.

I've been looking at getting a 458 Socom upper from Rock River but because there is NO manufactured ammo here I haven't pursued it. If it was available I'd love to shoot it. Also I'm not a hand loader so it's factory for me or nothing.

I hooked up with one of your stores to ship a pallet of 10mm in August. I will check with them on the 458. They will have to ship as soon as I can get a pallet order together. Until I get a clear need on the 458 situation I am just not sure how many to try and ship.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast