Thread: REQUEST: Suggestions for restocking SA Model-70........Please

Default REQUEST: Suggestions for restocking SA Model-70........Please

I am requesting suggestions for a replacement stock for a SA model-70........please.

If you are looking for wood try http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

I ordered a laminate for my Marlin XL-7 and was very happy with it.

NO.......looking for NON-Wood.

What contour barrel and what purpose?

I have 3 Model 70s currently and they are all wearing McMillan handles. I've a Supergrade for my .416, a Hunter's Edge for a Featherweight contour and a Edge fill HTG for a carbon wrap barrel. Each has their place, though for a general purpose #2-3 contour I'd almost certainly use the McMillan Hunter style stock in standard fill with a gelcoat finish. I've used other synthetic stocks, but I've found McMillan is easily the best for lots of reasons. I'll try to post some pics in a bit.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Here is an interesting link on restocking Model 70's. Specifically, the Black Shadow which came with the FWT bbl contour I believe. May not match with what you are doing exactly, but might be a resource for figuring out which bottom metal and floorplate you have/need for the type of stocks available. I am looking to do just that with a Black Shadow that I recently picked up. Nice shooting rifle, but the stock is not growing on me and I dont care for the blind magazine.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...omely-Firearms

Heres a link to Stocky stocks, there is a pull down menu thing on there that will give you the different options they have available:

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...-64-One/Detail

It is a stainless steel "Classic" Featherweight with 22" barrel, chamber is .243 Winchester.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    What contour barrel and what purpose?

I have 3 Model 70s currently and they are all wearing McMillan handles. I've a Supergrade for my .416, a Hunter's Edge for a Featherweight contour and a Edge fill HTG for a carbon wrap barrel. Each has their place, though for a general purpose #2-3 contour I'd almost certainly use the McMillan Hunter style stock in standard fill with a gelcoat finish. I've used other synthetic stocks, but I've found McMillan is easily the best for lots of reasons. I'll try to post some pics in a bit.

dang, if that wood stock becomes avail, let me know! I would like to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    It is a stainless steel "Classic" Featherweight with 22" barrel, chamber is .243 Winchester.
    I'd have a hard time undoing the Hunter's Edge on my FWT contour. Some think the comb is a bit low, but with 42mm and smaller scopes it's a non-issue. I'd have to check but my LA Model 70 FWT in 6.5x55 with a 6x42 Leupold in Talley LW rings (extra low, I think) and the Hunter's Edge stock weighs a few ounces shy of 7 pounds. 6 pounds 12 ounces jumps to mind, but I could be mistaken. You could go with the McMillan Hunter (standard fill-gelcoat) style stock for another 8-10 ounces for the different ergonomics. I've the Hunter Style on a Sako action and love it, but the Hunter's Edge is a really nice combination with the FWT barrel. McMillan has a little wait right now. I've had a stock on order since early December, but there is a reason that there is such a wait IMO and it's worth every minute......................
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Are you just lookig for a factory replacement that's not cut down? I believe I remember you saying you cut the original stock on that rifle, you can check out CDNN and get a factory synthetic for it. They also sell factory wood stocks on there too. That stainless 243 with a fwt wood stock on it would be a really good looking rifle.

Oooorrrr you could trade me your stainless one, for my brand new blued one.....
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Yes, I shortened the LOP and did a temporary recoil pad. I was wanting a camo composite stock with the color in the stock as opposed to "on" the stock. At this point the cost of a McMillian is not justifiable, so it looks like the existing stock will get a rattle can paint job.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Are you just lookig for a factory replacement that's not cut down? I believe I remember you saying you cut the original stock on that rifle, you can check out CDNN and get a factory synthetic for it. They also sell factory wood stocks on there too. That stainless 243 with a fwt wood stock on it would be a really good looking rifle.

Oooorrrr you could trade me your stainless one, for my brand new blued one.....

I've got a Hogue overmolded camo stock for a SA feather weight...................

It's on a FN Winchester mod 70 .243.....1 piece bottom metal.. I'd sell it.........
    "The older I get, the better I was."

I have a Basners synthetic stock with a Confederate Grey finish on my .338 Mod. 70 "Classic Stainless. It is light weight compared to many synthetic stocks. It also has no checkering if that is an issue. I really like it, especially the way they contoured the forearm and they will put about any length of pull and recoil pad on it. You can order them as a finished stock or a do it your self stock. Is that McMillan Edge stock the one D'Arcy Echols designed? Heard good things about it also.