Thread: chickaloon trail at mile 118

Talking chickaloon trail at mile 118

Hey does any body know anything about this trail the guy i tend to ride with wants to go and when we went to eureka he saw were they are
    so im jus tlooking for what they are like and how long and such
    thanks for info
    the happy alaskan

I haven't been on it but I think the trail at 117.6 Glenn Hwy is the Squaw Creek access and only goes in 3 miles.
    Mile 121 is the Gunsight mtn trail and only goes in 2.5 miles.
    Mile 123 is part of the Chickaloon-Knik-Nelchina Trail system. BelangerPass- 3 miles, Alfred Creek- 6.5 miles, Albert Creek 8 miles.
    mile 130 is Old Man and you can find 50 miles of trails in there. One big loop to the little Nel and trails to Crooked Creek.
    Conditions: mud, rocks and water. What did ya expect. Naturally you'll run in creeks and rivers that you'll either cross or turn back at.

Hey happyalaskan are you done exploring Eureka already? The area between the lodge and the Little Nel is called the "Home stretch" because it's so close to the highway. Beyond the Little Nel and beyond the Tyone is where the good stuff is: hundreds of miles of trails. From the lodge to the Little Nel is boring compared to what's beyond

Talking nope not done

DWS no but im construction worker and limited to sundas kind of. But the guy i ride with has been wanting to do the chickaloon trail so i was trying to figure it out for him so we could go thier but he decided this weekend he would like to do king river. So we will probablly do the perm sence i know something about it dont remember every riding the actual king river side or were to go once you leave the road there.
    and as far as eureka i will be back and probably try to make a camping trip out of it the wife really enjoyed that one but she likes any were we get to look at some game and is pretty.

HappyAlaskan,
    Do you have a GPS? I can give you coordinates for key points along the Kings River trail if you'd like.

Default sr12345

Yes i have a gps and would appreiate thoose from you

Approx mile 124 is the Ballanger Pass trail, if the section at Caribou Creek is open you can do an approx 60 mile loop up Ballanger pass, thru Alfred Creek, down Caribou and out Squaw Creek. I have done this ride from both directions, Ballanger Pass and from Squaw Creek but have never completed the loop. Hope to someday.

Kings River Waypoints:

Parking area: Glenn Hwy MM66.7, 61-44.04N, 148-44.83W
    Leave the parking lot, take dirt road to the right, which roughly follows the creek for several miles, passing a few homes.
    Around 61.44.239N, 148-43.957W (elev 603), there is a spot where you can cross the river. On the other bank is a relatively unused trail which follows the base of the bluff for a few miles. I'm not sure where it goes. To continue on the KR trail, stay on the main road here instead.
    Junction: 61-45.31N, 148-41.51W. If you turn right, the trail goes for 1-2 miles until it dead-ends at the river. If you can cross here (I've never been able to), supposedly it will connect up with the Permanente Trail. Take the trail to the left, which starts going up hill.
    First bog. This one's the biggest. 61.45.69N, 148-41.752W (elev 1227). Leaving this bog, the trail to the right is easier than the left one--they rejoin at the top of the hill.
    Second bog. 61-45-805N, 148-42.1W (elev 1391)
    Third bog. 61-46.022N, 148-41.589W (elev 1548). You can take either the left or right trail (the right one is easier, and takes you past a lake).
    Ruby Lake. 61-46.182N, 148-41.277W, elev 1565
    Fourth bog. 61-46.536N, 148-41.224W, elev 1775
    Nasty Rocks. 61-46.919N, 148-40.689W, elev 2119. Here the trail threads between and over large boulders. This is the most difficult part of the trail. Initially take the lower trail to the left, at the crest of the hill, try to stay right for the easier path.

This was as far as I got on a recent trip. However, from here the trail is pretty easy to identify for the next few miles and follows a ridge line up to a high meadow with great views.

Have fun!

SR,
    you can cross the Kings and connect to Permente for sure. We have always done it in the spring when there was ice on the banks, winch yourself down one bank into the water, cross and winch yourself up the other or find an ice ramp. Follow the trail awhile and it tees, go left and you eventually come to a cliff overlook, go right and at the next intersection a right takes you to the permente trailhead, a left takes you up the Permente trail for several miles until you come to the East fork of the Kings River.

Talking thanks guys

Hey guys thanks for all the info was a great ride today
    the only thing was the motor cycles kept seeing the
    grizzlies two differant guys saw them and we was just
    in the wrong place at the right time but what a great ride
    thanks again
    the happy alaskan

Watch out for dinosaurs!