Thread: New Outdrive Options

Default New Outdrive Options

I currently have a 1984 Bayliner 2860 (28' long with 10' beam). I repowered it with a 6.0L Marine Power back in 2008 but I did not replace the outdrive. The motor has approximately 400 hours on it now. I currently have an old Volvo outdrive 270 (I think) that was converted to a duo-prop sometime before I bought the boat in 2004. Because it is the "old style" outdrive with the electric lift motor and starting to wear out I think I am ready to have a new outdrive installed.
    I wish I would have replaced the outdrive when I repowered, but didn't.

What do I need to know before taking the plunge to have a new outdrive installed? I am looking for suggestions on which outdrive, gear ratio and etc. Is it safe to buy a remanufactured outdrive or should I go new.

Any idea of how much my boat weighs? I am not a mechanic so I am really looking for suggestions on where to start.

The boat lives in Prince Williams Sound in Alaska and in salt water for about six-seven months a year.

Thanks,
    Rod

Rod,
    I'm 99% sure both 270 & 280 drives couldn't be converted to DP's, a 290 yes so i'd think you have a 290, let see a picture if you have one and there should be a plate right behind the u joint bellows that will show what model drive it is & what gear ratio it is. What do you mean by "wear out" ?? If the transom shield is worn the pins and bushings can be replaced to tighten things up or if its that bad just replace the transom shield(i have one that i had as a spare if you need one). A new 290 DP drive will set you back aprox 13 grand and thats only the drive not the transom shield so if the TS is worn you'll still have the same problems. I have the best mechanic in the state to work on volvo drives, 11,000hours on my last DP & he was the only one that touched it, if it were me i'd pull the drive off and have him pressure test and check it out before you spend big money on a new drive. A rebuild might cost you 1/2 the cost of a new drive ?? I'm betting your drive has a 1.78:1 ratio, what size props are you running? What are you getting for WOT? PM me if you want my guys number or call me(number is on the website below) if you want to BS more on this. I wouldn't buy a rebuilt drive from anyone except from Volvo(if they are still available).

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thanks for the advise. My boat is in the harbor so I was unable to take a look to see what the ratio is, however I did find my receipt from when I purchased it in 2006. When I purchased the boat it had a Volvo AQ260A engine and it list a 280DP outdrive. I have had no issues with outdrive so it seems the best plan is to pressure test it at the end of the season. My transom is my issue. This spring my outdrive lift motor failed. So ordered a replacement electric motor (my third since 2006). Installed it and the outdrive still wouldn't lift, my worm drive was stuck in place. The worm drive is mounted to the transom shield but two bolts that are almost impossible to get to with the marine motor still in place. The bolts had probably not ever been removed from shield since new in 1985. After much work we had to cut the tops of the bolts off the remove the worn out worm drive from the transom shield. I had a spare worm drive lift that we installed but the transom housing looks like electrolysis has taken a toil on it and is looking pretty brittle.

I guess the question is can I upgrade my transom shield to a new model that has the hydraulics lift motor and continue to use my 280DP? I am satisfied with the performance of my boat. Currently my WOT is 4200 rpms. I am not sure which props I have on my boat but when I pull it out of the water I will check them. They are aluminum and not stainless. I will contact you for you guys information, sounds like a phone call might save me a bunch of money.

Thanks again,

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod123 View Post
    Thanks for the advise. My boat is in the harbor so I was unable to take a look to see what the ratio is, however I did find my receipt from when I purchased it in 2006. When I purchased the boat it had a Volvo AQ260A engine and it list a 280DP outdrive. I have had no issues with outdrive so it seems the best plan is to pressure test it at the end of the season. My transom is my issue. This spring my outdrive lift motor failed. So ordered a replacement electric motor (my third since 2006). Installed it and the outdrive still wouldn't lift, my worm drive was stuck in place. The worm drive is mounted to the transom shield but two bolts that are almost impossible to get to with the marine motor still in place. The bolts had probably not ever been removed from shield since new in 1985. After much work we had to cut the tops of the bolts off the remove the worn out worm drive from the transom shield. I had a spare worm drive lift that we installed but the transom housing looks like electrolysis has taken a toil on it and is looking pretty brittle.

I guess the question is can I upgrade my transom shield to a new model that has the hydraulics lift motor and continue to use my 280DP? I am satisfied with the performance of my boat. Currently my WOT is 4200 rpms. I am not sure which props I have on my boat but when I pull it out of the water I will check them. They are aluminum and not stainless. I will contact you for you guys information, sounds like a phone call might save me a bunch of money.

Thanks again,

Rod
    I never heard of a 280 DP so i did a little internet sluthing and came up with this site, seems interesting. Give me a call when your ready, he's a very honest guy, works out of his home and won't BS you on what it will take to keep your drive going.
    http://www.marineengine.com/boat-for...g-280-duo-prop
    http://www.marineengine.com/boat-for...olvo-duo-props

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

good talking with ya Rod, found this on the site i told ya about, some right in your backyard.
    Engines and Outdrives
    For Sale
    Set of D41s with 290 DP out drives
    1000 hours on engines
    100 hours on one of the rebuilt outdrives
    Many extras, turbos, starters, etc.
    The engines are in Valdez
    Call/Email For Price
    Mark Young
    akmarineguides@gmail.com

1 - Volvo Duoprop outdrive:
    for 200HP Volvo Diesel Set up
    Excellent condition
    Rebuilt in 2013
    $6000 OBO
    Miscellaneous Volvo Duoprop parts
    Taking Unit off and installing Jet
    Everything from the driveline back is available
    Doug Carroll
    or call or text
    (907)253-5545
    for more information

4 Top Boxes
    NEW U-Joints
    Good Condition
    Had For Back-Ups
    Price: $1,000 Each

1 Lower Unit For 290
    Duo-Prop
    Price: $2,000

3 Lower Units For 280
    Single Prop
    Price: NA

Lots of Aluminum Single Props
    & Duo Props
    Price: Offers

2 Complete 280 Outdrives
    In Working Condition
    Price: $3,000 OBO

ALL ITEMS SOLD AS IS!

Call Bill
    (907) 399-4631

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Thanks for the advice. I checked the web site out and contacted Doug about his drive. He is here seining this week and I think we are going to work something out. When I first came to Alaska in 2002 I worked with him before he moved back to Cordova. Great information and way more reasonable then purchasing a new one.

Thanks for the advice. I checked the web site out and contacted Doug about his drive. He is here seining this week and I think we are going to work something out. When I first came to Alaska in 2002 I worked with him before he moved back to Cordova. Great information and way more reasonable then purchasing a new one.
    If you intend on keeping the boat for awhile grab whatever he has, those volvo parts and pieces don't come cheap !! You know who to take the drive to if it needs a going over.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Thanks Steve! I was able to pick up a Volvo DP 290 outdrive complete with transom shield, hydraulics and everything from the motor back from a friend (Doug) in Cordova who recently converted his seine jitney to a pump. My plan is to have your volvo guy go through everything throughly and then to make the conversion this fall after silver season.

Thanks again for the help I sure appreciate it and will keep you updated on the process.

Rod
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Steve! I was able to pick up a Volvo DP 290 outdrive complete with transom shield, hydraulics and everything from the motor back from a friend (Doug) in Cordova who recently converted his seine jitney to a pump. My plan is to have your volvo guy go through everything throughly and then to make the conversion this fall after silver season.

Thanks again for the help I sure appreciate it and will keep you updated on the process.

Rod
    Glad you found what you needed, bet you saved yourself some cash. Yeah drop the drive off to Dwayne and let him go through it he's the best around when it comes to those drives. Make sure you install a grease jerk on the top of the bell housing, volvo only has a plug in it, and without grease the intermediate bearing doesn't last long. You may want to replace the bearing when you have it all apart, since you'd have to slide ahead or remove the engine if you have to replace it later on.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Here is a added expense I had when repowering.
    I went from a 270 outdrive to a 290dp.
    The hole in my transom was too large for the 290. I had my transom rebuild and a new hole cut.

Thanks, I figured it would have to be rebuild and on some prior forums so folks with similar boats have had issues with their transoms becoming waterlogged. I don't have any idea how much the is going to cost??