Thread: Looking for Help and advice

Question Looking for Help and advice

I am looking for some help on reloading for the 375 H&H Ackley Improved. can anyone help me out? whats the best powder to use and a all around good bullet.

I just bought a rifle in this caliber and have never relaoded for it before. It sure is going to be a bear thumper and Moose.

I guess No one has any Help for me? Oh Well

John,

I have lots of help for you but didn't want to spoil the party for all the experts, I guess they'll be around later for the spoils.

I've had four different rifles so chambered and have a very nice one now. What have you found? Not many recently made Ackley chambers in any caliber these days. All Ackleys have the 40 degree shoulder and dies should be so marked.

H4350 is probably the best powder for this one. RL-15 which is so good in the standard H&H is a little fast for the extra volume of the Ackley. The 375 H&H Ackley improved is the exact same powder capacity as the 375 Ruger. Start with a standard load for the standard H&H and fire as usual. This will expand the shoulder of the case to fit your chamber.

There are many Ackley detractors out there, Most never having seen one much less loaded for it. I've a long history with just about all of the Ackley improved cartridges.

Here is the biggest caveat with them.. The chamber must be made to accept and correctly headspace factory standard ammo. Correctly headspacing on the shoulder not on the belt. A factory round should chamber and fire without undue stretching of the case at the webb. I have mine made to the standard minimum H/S dimension and brass last better and standard is very accurate in the Ackley rifles. The only way to correctly re-chamber to an Ackley is to set the barrel back a full turn and this insures a good fit.

If you are not sure about chamber dimensions you can make a chamber cast of it and measure.

You may know all this anyway and just want load data. If so e-mail me and I'll send data for any bullet you might want except the TSX's, I don't use them. Or as I said just use H&H data and start with a mid load and go from there. You'll need about 3-4 grains more powder to get there.

It's funny, now that Parker is in the grave, how he was so wrong and any johnie come lately with the same ballistics is so grand. I have an old transition model 70 deluxe that was chambered by P.O. Ackley way back in the year I was born, to a 375 H&H Ackley Improved. It was 375 H&H with the standard Winchester 25" barrel and the flip over sights and it's small and inobtrusive safety lever. It will send 300 grain Nosler partitions out at 2650 fps and into one inch all day long long. I have hunted Africa with it sporting it's original irons and have made many 200 yard plus shots. I've never taken anything on this continent with it but it has more than a dozen species to it's credit on two others.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thank you very Much Murphy ... I sent you a e-mail I look forward to chatting with you more on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    John,

. What have you found? .

The Rifle I have found is a Remington Model 700 walnut stock with a Decelortor pad Jeweled bolt and hinged floor Plate. Very nice rifle 24" barrel and it come with the Ackely Dies and some Brass. Should be here Monday

Well I just wanted to say Thank's to Murphy for his Help in getting me a Starting point for reloading for my new to me 375 H&H Ackley Imp. I went out to try some loads.

I done up and it all turned out pretty good I must say! This is the first time I had shot this rifle since I just bought it from a Fellow Hunter. Anyways here are a couple pic's from the range yesterday. I was shooting 260 grn Partions over 80 gr'n of RL19. I was sighting in the rifle ... shots start from the right hand corner and work thier way done to the centre.I Even hit the gong at 300yrds a few times

Target 100 yrds

My 375 H&H Ackley

So Thanks again Murphy!! CHEERS!

It's rifles like Murphy describe that have given P.O. ACKLEY such a bad reputation. He should sell that beat-up old worn out model 70 to someone that would be willing to give it a good home.

Not all the ACKLEY improved chambering showed a great deal of improvement. The vary best being the .250 Savage and the .257 Roberts.

The really great thing about them being that if you did not have your fire formed ammo with you on a hunt (for what ever reason) you could still find factory ammo that would get you some hunting done.

I don't think I know of a .375 H&H that was not fairly accurate. At least none I own, or have regretted selling in the past.

Big Al's home for repatriation of .375 H&H pre-64 model 70's, Palmer, Alaska

Alls I was doing was saying thanks for the help to get started, A rifle is a rifle to me, some good , some bad, but if they Kill Game and feed my family it all works for me