Thread: Kenai kings given the green light July 1...

Default Kenai kings given the green light July 1...

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I think I'm gonna give it a shot. I suspect it's going to be absolutely crazy out there

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Sad to see this.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    Sad to see this.
    I couldn't agree more.

Leave 'em alone for cryin' out loud....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Giving into the guides and these guides are killing the golden goose. Sad they didn't learn this the first time around.

Yep Kenai river guides have killed in all the Kenai river kings, Yukon kings, interior kings, deshka, susitna etc... Common really. You think the 300 or so guides have enough pull to open king fishing or could it be that if the sport guys are shut down it really restricts the comm guys.. If it wasn't for those Kenai river guides there would be a hunt able population of yetis too...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Makes my stomach sick!!

They say this:

Kenai River king salmon and other king salmon stocks throughout Cook Inlet are experiencing a period of low productivity and below average run strength since 2009. That trend has continued during 2014. The 2014 preseason forecast for late-run Kenai River king salmon is for a total run of approximately 19,700 fish. This is less than one-half of the 1986–2013 average total run of approximately 57,000 fish and is insufficient to provide for harvest in an unrestricted fishery without jeopardizing attainment of the sustainable escapement goal. Considering the small run forecast and direction provided in the management plan, prohibiting bait in the sport fishery is warranted.

But da*n sure open it up...!!!

Seriously...???

What a freekin' crock...!!!

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Are we really going to have this argument for the fifth year in a row!

I guess I can go through the math again...

500*4*30=60,000

Let's assume guides have a 50% success rate, for arguments sake, isn't that still somewhere around the entire average run over the last few years?

Now I realize the numbers don't truly work out that way, but to say they don't affect final escapement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    You think the 300 or so guides have enough pull to open king fishing or could it be that if the sport guys are shut down it really restricts the comm guys..
    If they went C&R, it would limit ESSN's to 12 hours per week.

If they went with in-river closure, it would by board mandate shut down the ESSN's, too.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

As in seasons past I think ADFG is doing the best anyone could with the tools they have been given, and as in season past some of us will choose to sit out king season and give them a break, kudos to those folks. For the folks up here on a lifelong dream vacation, I can't blame them for giving it a go. My boat is still under its snow cover, for what its worth...

Speaking as one of the folks coming up for a lifelong dream vacation (although I did just finish my 6th time doing so...) I haven't fished kings at all the last 2 years (and wasn't up there for a few years before that). I guess I fall somewhere in between a local and a once-in-a-lifetimer,
    call me a concerned frequent fishing visitor
    I'm willing to bite the bullet and not fish kings, which hurts as they're far and away my favorite fish to chase. Kudos to those of you living up there who do the same.

Been fishing since 4am, it sucks, heard of 3 small jacks caught. I will be shocked if 10 kings get caught today.

Quote Originally Posted by traveler View Post
    Speaking as one of the folks coming up for a lifelong dream vacation (although I did just finish my 6th time doing so...) I haven't fished kings at all the last 2 years (and wasn't up there for a few years before that). I guess I fall somewhere in between a local and a once-in-a-lifetimer,
    call me a concerned frequent fishing visitor
    I'm willing to bite the bullet and not fish kings, which hurts as they're far and away my favorite fish to chase. Kudos to those of you living up there who do the same.
    And kudos to you too sir...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!