Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a Wigglefin Swarm

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Using a Wigglefin Swarm

I recently received a Wigglefin Swarm attractor and have read some prior comments on this forum on its success. I will be taking a combination guided and diy trip to POW next month and would appreciate any comments and information on using this type attractor. For example does it work on Coho as well as Chinook? What is the preferred rigging method? (in line, downrigger in line, downrigger dummy). Any comments or suggestions appreciated

I'll let those that use them provide the details, but while you're waiting, go to this rigging guide at the Wigglefin site.

Straight to the downrigger ball for me. They have quite a bit of resistance on the line and would hate to fight it and a fish.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I tried running a small wiggle fin inline with a swarm action disk behind a diver on my center line. Worked awesome. Action disk gives action like a superkick flasher, to herring but more random. Very little drag, was easy to use as a flasher. Caught lots of silvers!

Kodiakcombo should be able to tell you a lot about them, he has used them quite a bit.

I cant catch a silver to save my life in PWS, however the swarm/brads cut plug combo got another PWS king salmon yesterday!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I bought two of them and that pole and set up has yet to catch a fish, junk!!!!
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Lotta different experiences with the same tackle, some good, some bad.

Jeff (kodiakcombo) can catch fish when everyone around him blanks out. Gear or experience? I'm betting he has the insights about kings to fine tune the Wigglefins, so they work great for him. The next guy comes along and can't catch fish with them, so he blames it on the gear.

I'll listen to Jeff talk about how to use them before I listen to someone else who can't catch fish using them.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Use what catches fish for you. I didn't quit using the big flashers. But when is saw this swarm flasher it looked like a swarm of herring eating or chasing sand lance. I rigged swarm on one downrigger and kept a flasher on the opposite side and the swarm out fished the flasher. Keep in mind I use flashers and swarm as dummies on 12-15lb downrigger weights. I like chartreuse and green. For inline use I stick with a green flasher. Have not tried the swarm inline, I don't think the swarm would give my baits the action a flasher would. Good luck!
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    ...I don't think the swarm would give my baits the action a flasher would.
    That's what's been holding me up on ordering the Swarm. I put too much time and effort into getting the subtle bait action I know to work.

Dummies would be good I'm sure. The areas I'm fishing right now are so chock full of bait, you have to create real commotion to catch the eye of the fish. Swarm hanging from the ball isn't going to hurt a thing even when you go ahead and use a flasher on your lines. I often hang an extra flasher off the balls (about 2' back and with the swivel moved to an extra hole drilled about 1/4" off-center for more kick) while also putting a flasher on each of the lines. Don't even know it's there, except in catching more fish on the side with the extra flasher while testing it out. Now I almost never send a ball down without a dummy flasher attached.

Signing off to order the Swarm right now.

Thanks!

Tklingit warrior, how long of leader are you running on the Brad's? I wanna give the standard and the mini a try. I'm guessing 2' then to a flasher. Just looking for a ballpark so I can pre tie a couple before I hit the water.

I run the swarm as dummies with 11" flasher in Line as Kodiak does. Got a beautiful king yesterday, and lost a second. Green and chartreuse combo of blades. Green flasher. Green salmon rotator. Thanks Kodiak Combo and Swarm!

I have a very brief history with them now, as in two trips.

First time out, we got three kings on two rods in a little over an hour while friends on two boats in the immediate area blanked all afternoon. Figured I had found the holy grail. Second trip, we didn't catch a thing on anything. Of course, no one else did either. Just one of those days and alternating time with and without the Swarm didn't seem to make a difference.

I'm glad I have them on the boat now and will experiment with them lots more. There's no such thing as a perfect setup that will work all the time every time. But I sure catch lots more fish for my messing around to fine tune gear and try different things on different days. Kinda like having one more arrow in a quiver with the Swarm on board.

BTW- We were using the green/chartreuse/silver combo as a dummy followed by this flasher in 0777 GOGY GOLD GREEN-YELLOW on the lines. Sure created a whole lot of "commotion" in the water, and that seemed to help. If you think about it, those are kinda needlefish colors and all three fish were plugged with needlefish. That's our favorite flasher on sunny days in water deeper than 20', but we switch to this metal one in 0785 CHGC GREEN CRYSTAL for water shallower than 20'. That's cuzz the plastics want to plane up to the surface on turns in the shallows, but the metals track straight and true. Overcast days we tend more to plain silver or holographic silver both shallow and deeper.

Thanks Tlingit warrior, I'll be experimenting with Brads this week!

Another benefit of Brads is that humpies don't seem too interested in them...
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Huh....

I wonder what's going on, because in our waters I have to quit the Brads when the humpies arrive cuzz they simply won't leave them alone.

One thing I've found, using a big flasher really seems to cut down on the humpies, no matter what you tie behind them. Gotta use metal flashers rather than plastics any time you get up near the surface unless you keep the lines behind the wire pretty short. Yet I know folks on other waters that have to quit using flashers, they draw the humpies so well. Go figger.

No one ever said fish make sense!!!!

About two foot. Yesterday three silvers all caught using the swarm as dummy with brads on the line. Downrigger at 65. Other downrigger had no swarm and brads behind a traditional flasher at 55 feet. Only reason i only fish one swarm is i lost the setup last weekend when rigger ball got caught on some rocks.

When I lived in SE Alaska, I never put a line down without a flasher. Didn't matter what bait setup I was using. However for the past 8 years they have never left my tackle box. I get the perfect bait roll/action by using my brad's cut plugs. Does exactly what I want out of the box and best of all, I fight only the fish and not that big chunk of plastic on the line ~ as it should be!!!

I do love the swarm running of the downrigger ball, best of both worlds.

Didn't help today, but it was bright and sunny. Same on the other day it didn't help, and the holy grail day was overcast. Might be coincidence, and might not.

Had one of THOSE days today, finally finding fish and hooking up on cutplug behind a holo silver flasher, no wigglefin. We don't usually lose many fish, but today we hooked up three times and lost every single one of them..... A rematch is in order, sooner rather than later!!!!!

Wiggle fins definitely work on Silvers. I use same exact set up as for kings, dummy fashion. Caught em all day long!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast