Thread: Hewescraft fuel leak ?

Default Hewescraft fuel leak ?

Was wondering if anyone had experienced a fuel leak problem with a hewescraft oceanpro. When we purchased the boat new the dealer specifically warned us about fueling the boat. We were told do not over fill it. We'll my son over filled it at the harbor back in early May. Fumes were so bad we cut the trip short. Have flushed as much as possible just pulled the flooring and washed thoroughly. Boat was bone dry. It shows a half a tank of fuel, took it out yesterday and the fumes are back again. The local dealer says they have no idea but they will help me at $125 hr. Not sure that makes sense. They can't even tell me what happens when you over fill. They just said hewescraft told them not to do it. Seems a little ridiculous. Issue a warning and not understand it your self. Am I expecting too much? I can't be the only one with that has experienced this.... Can I ? Advice is appreciated.

I had a similar situation on a different boat. The culprit was a leaking fuel sending unit gasket on top of the tank. When the tank was full or in sloshy conditions fuel would leak into the bilge.

Not sure if this is your situation, but seems familiar.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Avid outdoorsmen View Post
    Was wondering if anyone had experienced a fuel leak problem with a hewescraft oceanpro. When we purchased the boat new the dealer specifically warned us about fueling the boat. We were told do not over fill it. We'll my son over filled it at the harbor back in early May. Fumes were so bad we cut the trip short. Have flushed as much as possible just pulled the flooring and washed thoroughly. Boat was bone dry. It shows a half a tank of fuel, took it out yesterday and the fumes are back again. The local dealer says they have no idea but they will help me at $125 hr. Not sure that makes sense. They can't even tell me what happens when you over fill. They just said hewescraft told them not to do it. Seems a little ridiculous. Issue a warning and not understand it your self. Am I expecting too much? I can't be the only one with that has experienced this.... Can I ? Advice is appreciated.

I'm not sure of the configuration, but maybe it forces fuel into the vent, where it can accumulate/sit in a low spot?

When I got my 06 searunner the first trip out we had a similar issue of fuel leaking and fumes. When I got to looking the fuel fill hose was all cracked and leaking. I went to Jackovich and got a new hose, the salesman told me that the boat manufactures use a low quality hose when building the boats to help keep the price low. Since replacing the hose have had no issues.

It makes no sense that overfilling would cause fumes. It should just burp out the top and that's it. I'd call hewescraft directly.

Check the vent hose that comes off the front of the fuel tank and runs along the port side gunnel. There should be a inspection plate in the cabin floor where it connects to the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I'd call hewescraft directly.
    Same here. I have no clue what's going on, but I've been more than a little impressed in dealing the folks at Hewescraft. They know what they're doing, and they're responsive.

Avid, I have a 2008 26' Alaskan and I had the exact same problem. Outdoor Frantic nailed it, the fuel fill hose dryrots and cracks right at the bend from the gas cap to running under the deck. When you overfill, the fuel sits in the hose and speeds up the cracking. AK Rubber has the hose in the size you need for about $100. The fumes were so bad I wanted to make sure, so I replaced all the fuel lines/vents since I had the deck plates off but the fill hose was the culprit. Good luck.

I appreciate all of the feedback. I have used the boat only 6 times and every time now there has been the fuel issue. I haven't filled the boat all the way up now in the last 4 trips and it still is leaking from somewhere. I will try to replace fill hose and see if that does the trick. Thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated!