Thread: Caribou on North Slope Location?

Default Caribou on North Slope Location?

So I am planning a trip for the first up past adigan pass and hope to get a caribou. Has anyone driven up their lately that can give me a hint of where they are right now. Thanks!

I haven't been north but would expect they'll either be up on the coast or high in the hills running from the mosquito's....

Saw two bulls and a cow in deadhorse on Saturday, happened to be the same day the Mosquitos came out to play

I have been meaning to take the drive for a good while, just haven't yet. Has anyone seen any up the hills at Madigan pass?

Ive never seen any that far south this time of year. Assuming adigan and madigan are really spelled Atigun Pass that is. Hanging out on the coast is where I'd look.

They tend to stay near the coast this time of year,, they will start moving as the weather cools and the bugs start to thin a bit. Always a few to be found around the rivers and mountains.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Sorry for the misspelling. I am typing on my phone and it loves to autocorrect. Any ideas how to get a caribou to stay cool from their back to Fairbanks? I planned on bringing a few coolers/ice, but not sure if there are places to grab more ice up by deadhorse. Any other ideas please fill me in.

Get Dry ice at Fred Meyers for your coolers, just remember to keep the drain plug out or loose for gas to escape.

You might have a few more days of catching them down in the bowhunting area, but they will move up to the coast by around the 3-4th of July. There is usually a big herd movement during the first 2-3 days of May just south of Deadhorse, but they move through very quickly. Remember, bulls only north of pump 2. I wouldn't bother going up until after the end of July if you can't get up there before the 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBoy View Post
    Sorry for the misspelling. I am typing on my phone and it loves to autocorrect. Any ideas how to get a caribou to stay cool from their back to Fairbanks? I planned on bringing a few coolers/ice, but not sure if there are places to grab more ice up by deadhorse. Any other ideas please fill me in.
    I didn't see ice at Yukon camp or coldfoot when I was up there a month or so ago, the first ice re-stock would have basically been Fairbanks.

Meant to say there is a big herd movement the first 2-3 days of July, not May. Usually we would catch them late at night within 20 miles of Deadhorse.

I am bringing rifle and bow, from how I read the regs, starting July 1, both bulls and cows are open all in 26b
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

30 miles south of Deadhorse is the place to be if you want a bou right now.

Quote Originally Posted by whodat78 View Post
    30 miles south of Deadhorse is the place to be if you want a bou right now.
    Sounds good, tomorrow night ill be their waiting for the clock to strike 1201

They are definitely showing up more and more on lease, counted about twenty between the little and big put

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was only able to stay a few days. Only saw 2 on the haul road. Was not able to come back with anything unfortunately. Everyone we talked to was really suprised there was not more along the road.

Very large herd 15 miles south of deadhorse on the east side of the sag last night.