Thread: Black front windshield protector-'bra'

Default Black front windshield protector-'bra'

I have seen it on several boats getting towed around. Looking for a protector for my front windows on my boat. I'm not sure what kind of material it is, most I see is black, and looks like they snap on, then u can obviously take it off when you put your boat in the water. I sound stupid asking but it's just a matter of time till I crack one with a rock and would like to get on it, and not sure where/who can either make it, or I can measure it and cut it out and put on the snaps. Thanks in advance

I'm not sure where you're located, but in Fairbanks, I believe Custom Canvas can make those for you. I'm getting some soon as I lost my middle window on the drive to Chitina.

In Anchorage I had Alaska Tent and Tarp build mine for my T-Jet. Both a bra for the bow and another for the windshield. Very happy with their work.

Im in the valley.

Right on. Thanks for the info

John upholstery in wasilla
    http://johnsupholstery-wasilla-ak.com/

Does great work on a few boat projects I have hired him for.
    BK

I had one made for my Wolly at custom canvas in Fairbanks. Whoever makes it for you ensure they have a good core material. I have a foam core in mine that is only about 1/4 inch thick. First trip to Valdez I took a pretty good rock which put a crack in the window. Didn't shatter though. I looked at the cover closely and saw multiple strikes with no damage. I guess all in all you can't stop those large rocks traveling at a
    combined speed of at least 100 mph.

I know a guy here in Eagle River that also does custom canvas/covers for boats by the name of Kevin. I even saw his ad on Craig's this morning...PM me if you need his number.

Wouldn't it be better to have a "bra" with pockets made that a piece of 1/4 or 3/8 plywood could be slid into for each window ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Wood would be heavy, better off with a piece of foam or foam padding sewn into it.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Wood would be heavy, better off with a piece of foam or foam padding sewn into it.
    BK
    Ya ain't takin' it with ya when you go fishing and i bet 1/4" plywood is a lot more rock resistant than foam ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I have this set-up on the airboat windshields (foam encased into the window covers), have made trips to/from the slope multiple times and (knock on wood) has worked perfectly. I wouldn't want a 1/2 sheet of plywood to screw around with on the windshield sewn into the canvas cover. It would be heavy and eventually tear the snaps or stretch the holes prematurely. Especially when wet or mud laden, it already gains a few pounds when this happens. (We're talking about wearing the material here, not transporting it or keeping it in the boat.)
    Plus, I can roll my covers up and stash them in the back seat so no one "borrows" them while I'm out fishing. It would be tough to do if they were rigid.

I still think the foam is the way to go!
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I have this set-up on the airboat windshields (foam encased into the window covers), have made trips to/from the slope multiple times and (knock on wood) has worked perfectly. I wouldn't want a 1/2 sheet of plywood to screw around with on the windshield sewn into the canvas cover. It would be heavy and eventually tear the snaps or stretch the holes prematurely. Especially when wet or mud laden, it already gains a few pounds when this happens. (We're talking about wearing the material here, not transporting it or keeping it in the boat.)
    Plus, I can roll my covers up and stash them in the back seat so no one "borrows" them while I'm out fishing. It would be tough to do if they were rigid.

I still think the foam is the way to go!
    BK
    Foam vs plywood & aluminum vs fiberglass we could have a great time sitting at your place on the river discussing the merits of all !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Agreed my friend!!

I'm right though, LOL!!

Mud flaps have been around for years and have a proven track record of keeping rocks from flying up... Just sayin.

The only chip I have in my windshield came from a child with a rock on a gravel bar.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity