Thread: Looking for line launcher/harpoon launcher technology

Default Looking for line launcher/harpoon launcher technology

I don't want to reinvent the wheel as I know that there are 12 gauge nautical line launchers and harpoon launchers commercially available. I am only asking for information how one could use a 12 gauge shotgun to launch a harpoon a short distance as a DIY project. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I am trying to help some local hunters increase the recovery rate of animals shot in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what the recovery method your locals use but, I and many other natives that hunt marine animals tent to throw a spear or a harpoon with a rope attached to the tip and the wooden handle. Once the tip punctures the hide, then we put the game down. 100% recovery. Tried and true method for thousands of years.

204tcak,

Thanks for the reply. That is the method used. A hand thrown harpoon with a float attached. The harpoon is thrown from a kayak, as it has been done for a thousand years, but the range of the hand thrown harpoon is only 5 - 10 meters. The game is Narwhal and they are a highly prized delicacy. This year, a friend is going to use a bow, with fishing arrows, that I gave him to try to get a line into the animal from a greater distance and from the bigger boat. I was just thinking that I could find a rifle-fired harpoon to increase his range and success.

Best wishes to you,
    Dan