Thread: October fishing: suggestions?

Default October fishing: suggestions?

If anyone out there would be willing to suggest a place to go for fishing in October primarily Silvers, but other fish especially Dollies and steelhead.rainbows certainly welcome.

I usually go to Cordova because of convenience and have been doing that for too many years. Looking for a change of venue. Yakutat is on the list, and not sure about Kodiak (road system or fly out?). I fished Kodiak once in Oct and it was a mixed affair, slivers and rainbows/Dollies were pretty good on Uganik, but didn't go to Karluk - some logistic hurdles there. I won't worry about costs at this point anyways, just the what and where. Would like to get off the beat path too. Thanks.

Some of the best fishing for coho's on the Road system here is in Oct. But I go up to Kenai every Sept for blackies and bows too. Love it there in Cooper Landing.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

A guided trip on the middle and/or upper Kenai in October can be an awesome experience, particularly if you go mid-week. I don't find walk-in fishing that time of year all that appealing or productive but I'm sure there are others on here that do much better that could help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    A guided trip on the middle and/or upper Kenai in October can be an awesome experience, particularly if you go mid-week. I don't find walk-in fishing that time of year all that appealing or productive but I'm sure there are others on here that do much better that could help you out.
    Might look at Cold Bay. No experience there, but seems like big silvers and some steelhead available that time of year. Also anything in the Lake Illiamna area, and Naknek Lake/River. Most tourists have left, rivers haven't iced over yet, and trout are at their heaviest.

The Coho can be caught in small numbers in the ocean, but are usually thick in the rivers/river mouths here in October, and are almost all still bright chromers. They make for some awesome freshwater fishing. The Winter King Salmon fishing here in Sitka is also good in October.