Thread: North Fork Bullets?

Default North Fork Bullets?

Darn Elmer Keith, giving nothing but praise for pure copper, and pure lead construction of the Fred Barnes's originals has me intrigued by the north forks. For no other reason, than seeing how sufficiently a barnes o expanded at a low impact velocity around 1500-1600 fps in a caribou. At that longish shot, the wound channel was devastating, and all out of proportion to the impact velocity. The weight retention was impressive. Are the north forks really bonded?

anyone put a northfork through a brown bear? a moose?

oh, never mind. I saw the construction of the bullet, too much copper, not enough lead. consequently, too long of a bullet for my preferences. I didn't realize, it is nothing like a traditional lead core bullet. it's like a barnes x- bullet gone wrong, or a nosler partition factory defect! I must have confused them with hawk bullets?

Should try them anyway and post your results.

(Now that you've got me curious.)

Here ya go if you want to try the Barnes originals. or at least the version available today. Love em.

I thunk "Originally" they were Bitterroot Bullet Co. and Randy bought the company and it became Barnes Bitterroot Co. (But I could be very wrong) And thunking that somehow Green River Bullet Co. played in there somehow.

Here is the the official Barnes history.

I tried 275 grain North Fork bullets in my 350 Rem Mag and 358 Norma mag. Along with Kodiak bullets made in Juneau.

Neither were as accurate as the old275 grain Barnes originals ( which I am now running out-of) and the 280 grain Swift A-Frame bullets.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Don't leave out the Woodleigh bullets. They are cheaper than the North Forks and I would say better than the Barnes. There is a reason that 3/4 of your premium Dangerous Game ammo is loaded with Woodlieghs.