Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kasilof report?

Default Kasilof report?

I'm looking for a Kasilof report still, anyone know how things are going for that first run (Crooked Creek) this year? If not, I'll just have to go down and find out myself. (don't make me come down there...)
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Can only get better...

I was down there on Sunday and it was S-L-O-W, for our boat anyway...We never saw a fish caught or fought all day. Talked to , what looked like, some guides on their day off that had a decent day (3 natives released and 1 hatchery kept, 2 steelies and a couple dollies). We saw a school of reds jumping just upstream from crooked creek. One beach fisherman said he had caught 2 reds the night before. I think it should be a lot better this weekend if the numbers everywhere else say anything. Good luck!

Default Kasilof

Itís been steady for boat fishermen; Iíve picked up fish every day for the last three. Caught 3 kings on eggs and 3 on Kwikfish, K-14 & 15. Peopleís hole from the bank looked slow maybe by this week end it will pickup for them. Seems like more fish are coming in every day. I heard a red was caught and thought I saw a few of them rolling.

Default Slow but growing

I fished Croooked Creek confluence the night before last 2 hrs. after tide. A small burst of fish went up and there were several hook-ups including me. I caught a 17lb hen on chartreuse yarn on a fly pole. Fun.

I've fished every day for the last week. It has generally been pretty slow, but if you're at the right place at the right time there is a little bite here and there. I limited w/ 4 clients in an hour yesterday (got lucky) and got 4 fish in 6 hours of fishing today w/ 4 clients (3 wild, 1 hatchery). I've also caught 5 sockeye on qwikfish this week (1 today) along with a few steelhead. I've done nearly all my damage on qwikfish, but most guides are having their clients bounce eggs and some are having a little luck doing that as well. The banks at Crooked Creek look very slow... I haven't seen much going on there at all. It's definitely time for the fishing to pick up, so I'd expect it to really start firing off any day now. This weekend may be perfect timing to show up there. Good luck.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default I'll be there

I'm loading up the drift boat and 4-wheelers tonight. Two of my boys and choc-o-dog will be with me in the boat both days. We'll probably drift/fish quickfish all the way down to the south beach and camp there tomorrow night, pull the boat out with the 4-wheeler, then drift again Friday and go home. Thanks for the reports. See you guys down there maybe, fish-on!

The bite was certainly on for us Tuesday morning. Had all of our luck on k-15s. Other boats didnt look like they were fairing as well. MarkW3 is da man!

Default question

Quote Originally Posted by Joel in Alaska View Post
    The bite was certainly on for us Tuesday morning. Had all of our luck on k-15s. Other boats didnt look like they were fairing as well. MarkW3 is da man!
    Were you guys using herring wraps with the K-15's too?
    Where were the hookups? above or below crooked creek?

Wildog

sent ya a PM

Default Curious about the holes as well.

We drifted on Tuesday evening and it was slow. caught one jack and one steelhead bouncing eggs. Planning to float again tonight and was curious where folks are finding luck. I will likely pull out at Coho Cove.

Will

well things took a bit of a turn for the worse today... first of all, the river looked like a boat parking lot in every hole, and there were very few fish being caught. we landed only 1 king in 6 hours of fishing and only missed one other legit take down. we trolled all qwikfish.... woulda switched to eggs, but nobody was exactly tearing it up using those either.
    and to answer your question - use a sardine wrap with your k-15 qwikfish, and the lower stretch (below coho) seems to be fishing better than the top on most days, but had my best day at the traps on tuesday (just above crooked creek). things are so up and down right now making it very unpredictable when and where fish will be caught. all you can do is show up, keep your line wet, and hope for the best.
    Last edited by markw3; 06-07-2007 at 15:26. Reason: forgot something
    www.akfishology.com

I'd say slower than normal, but we've still averaged over 2 fish laned per rod the entire week, 3 rods with 8 to the boat today and another half-dozen fished rolled or lost.

Certainly not as good as we expect this time of year ... but not end of the world either. Fish are way out of normal movement paterns and many haven't picked up on it. Hang in there guys

Bob is catching more fish than most everyone out there... 8 fish on 3 rods is smokin hot compared to 99% of the fleet, so congrats Bob.
    Yesterday was pathetically slow. I only heard of one limit and about 50% of the boats I talked to got zip. The best fishermen that were launching at 330-400am were averaging a couple fish per boat.... it was a little better today, but still very slow. I had just 2 fishermen and we landed 2 kings, while missing another 5-6 bites.
    I thought I was doing pretty good averaging about 1 fish per rod, but Bob has put me in my place.
    I'm curious Bob - quikfish or bait? what time are you launching?
    www.akfishology.com

Default Kasilof-just got back

Well we fished only Friday and it was a little chaotic, the whole family decided to come. Four little boys and my wife and I in a 17 foot drift boat. After camping on the south beach and watching reds come in all night we got a late start. In fact most of the guides appeared to be done by the time we started (around 9 or 10), and most, maybe all of them caught fish. I got to watch Bob Ball put his clients on fish, nice job Bob. We caught several fish including a nice looking steelhead. Fish are in, but the water was really low it seemed, and I have definitely seen it hotter this time of year, namely the year before last on June 10th.
    That's my report.

Does the current state of fishing meant that the run is a little late this year? I am thinking about hitting the Kasilof somewhere between the 18th and the 20th. Maybe there will still be a few kings around.

What do you guys think?

thanks

Thumbs up

Mostly kwikfish, some eggs here and there as per the usual this time of year for us.

Most of the last week was spent on eves, but back on mornings except for last night when clients did not wish to do an AM meet ... definitely hurt our chances and just three landed yesterday afternoon. But back on recommended schedule today with 16 to the boat for four rods and 8-9 others lost. More like it should be this time of year Hopefully just late following the late passage through the marine fishery as well

of course the fishing picks up on the ditch when I decide to hit the Kenai. fishing was a bit slow on the kenai today, but tolerable out there.... the one thing that wasn't tolerable was the weather - coldest day this time of the year that i can remember. you couldn't put enough clothes on to stay warm. we hit two fish early, but the clients decided to pack it in early, due to the fact that their 11 year old looked borderline hypothermic. i'm wondering how folks did after i left, fishing the tide, because i've heard the tide has produced in the last few days.
    www.akfishology.com

Default Any updates?

We're drifting the Kasilof this evening and wanted to check if there were any updates on the fishing. It will be the short float from the bridge to Coho Cove. Also wanted to see if folks are still doing better with plugs than eggs. Trying to put my gf on her first Kasilof king from our boat. She picked up a nice steelhead and a jack king last week--real slow otherwise--hoping for better tonight.

Thanks,

Will

I got a king from the bank today, downstream of where Crooked Creek comes in. There's just not quite enough water in the creek hole to get much. I walked down to near the turn in the river, and quite a few folks had kings when I first got there, good colors too: a couple kings approached 30 lbs. Some people were hooking reds, and landing a few. The boat folks I saw pass weren't doing all that well (in my section), but the shore folks were definitely getting some. I fished about 6 hours to get mine.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

I talked to the person that counts fish and boats down at trujillo's today... yesterday was a banner day on the kasilof with about 130 fish for 30some boats, but today just 24 fish for 25 boats so far... quite a turnaround - in the wrong direction. the best boat so far only landed 4 fish.... we got 3 (all wild) in about 6 hours along with a sockeye.
    I'm sure there were a few boats that got more than 4, but generally slow out there today. not sure if this is the beginning of a trend, or just an off day?
    www.akfishology.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast