Thread: Hip Boot Suggestions

Default Hip Boot Suggestions

I have been researching my next sets of hip waiters. I have only had a lacrosse set an another that escapes my memory, neither of which I was impressed with. I am looking for two pairs actually. One durable, comfortable set for Caribou and moose hunting. Secondly, I'm looking for light weight slip on set for sheep hunting. I am looking at the Wiggys pair for a light weight set. I am looking for suggestions/experiences with either type of hip boot. Please sound off any opinions, suggestions, or experiences.
    Thanks in advance
    Bowtech907

I'm anxiously watching this post as I've never found a hip boot I like since Marathon went out of business two decades back.

I remember a recent thread about this. Try a search.

I have a set of lacrosse, wiggys, and neos.

-The wiggys if I KNOW I'm just crossing a couple small streams and walking ALOT and weight is the biggest factor. Just for crossing.
    -NEOS don't weigh a lot but are bomber. If you have to be in your wader for any period of time take these….walking a marsh, etc.
    Bonus is you wear your comfy hiking boots the whole time.
    -The lacrosse are hanging in the shed since I discovered NEOS. Probably dry rotted by now.

The neos are with me almost always. Have 5 or more seasons on them. I am shocked they last this long. I figured a 2 year boot as hard as I use them.

Just purchased a pair of the Cabela's Tundra Hip Boots. Haven't worn them yet, but they will get a workout in starting on August 5th, as I will be flown out from Happy Valley on a caribou hunt with my son and a friend. My son also has a pair of these hippers, and he used them last week in the mountains of New Mexico trout fishing, and he really liked them. Knute

For moose/caribou hunts (with boats or rafts involved) I believe that waist or chest waders have just about replaced hippers. usually a much better fit (foot wise) and no worries about a wet butt. "Breathable" fabrics are the way to go over neoprene or rubber. Get wader boots that are equipped with "studs" or the air-bob style.

for years, I trudged around in green grubbers. I touted the "toughness", and how quiet they were. I touted the nice air-bob sole. But what I hated most, was waking up on a cold morning, and feeling the dread of slipping on a pair of permanently cold and wet set of foot wear. Due to the built-in insulation, you're never going to get them dry in the field should you take a dip. My last pair or green grubbers, failed where the tread is glued to the bottom of the boot, I didn't even get a season out of them. My right foot was always wet. About the best foot wear for my river based hunting thus far, are my patagonia hip-high waders with a tough wader shoe. You can get them dry, by hanging them over night, inside-out. If the going get cold, like snow for over a week(true event), two heavy pairs of wool socks will keep you warm. The weight of the hip highs and wadershoes is about half that of a pair of green grubbers, you'll hike harder. They breathe much better, considering your waste-area is exposed to breathe. Mt. view sports has them in stock, they aint cheap. ebay has them too. Other companies make hip high waders too. The noise is minimal, and hasn't ruined my success over the last two years of hunting.

With that said, it sounds like you're looking for temporary footwear, so stocking-foot hippers may not be the answer for you.

I appreciate all the feedback. I'm going to give the neos a shot on a upcoming caribou hunt.
    Good luck
    Bowtech907

Quote Originally Posted by Knute78 View Post
    Just purchased a pair of the Cabela's Tundra Hip Boots. Haven't worn them yet, but they will get a workout in starting on August 5th, as I will be flown out from Happy Valley on a caribou hunt with my son and a friend. My son also has a pair of these hippers, and he used them last week in the mountains of New Mexico trout fishing, and he really liked them. Knute
    I have used the tundra boots on hunts on the Penn (cold bay area) on two different times over the past 4 years. They worked well for me.

Well,,,, I've been watching this type of thread, so I thought I'd throw my 2cents-in;
    I've been wearing Filson Double-Tin [waxed] Hunting Pants -[see attachment]- for about ever,,,, well about 50yrs +/- now anyway. So when I want to wade a creek, small river, or what-ever, I just pull them around my Boots snug, -[good water proof or repellent type Boots]- make about 6 good over-lapping wraps with the duct-tape, and your good to go.

Now
    ,,,,, Mind-you, I'm not talking about standing in a river fishing all-day, and I always carry at least 2-pair of dry socks, in my pack, and I've also used the water-proof type of socks, and they do pretty good as well, and another bonus, you can sit down anywhere without getting your ***** wet.
    And I always wear a light or medium weight Poly-Pro or Smart-Wool long underwear as well.
    Yea,,,, there alittle bit Heavier than some of this "New-Sh**" but I'll Guarantee you this, you will not have any "Garment-Failures" in the field, and they will last dam-near for ever, in fact, the only time I've had to replace mine, is when I needed a larger waist size,,,
    Well,,,, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Attachment 79347
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]