Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-family members catching Personal use fish for you

Default Non-family members catching Personal use fish for you

How does this work? I never ran into this problem and never thought about it. I have two fish left on my limit (the last ones seem to always take the longest and the beer was calling my name) and my friend who never has wants to go. Can i fish with him and help him get his limit. And before i get any hell no's what about the people who drift boats all day. I know i wouldnt let any body drive my boat who dosnt know my boat on the chitina. Also you cant say everyone in the boat is on the same permit.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

I'll give you a hell yes and he's lucky to have a friend in you. You two go fill his, and yours also maybe, unless you want to make another trip again later, and that's just neighbors helping neighbors. And yes its even legal, in PU, since he does have a limit that means he's a resident; you're good to go and two thumbs up.

Thanks family man. I cant get my last two cuz its my 39th and 40th fish and its not supplemental anymore. where does it say i can catch someone elses fish.

Personally, I'm not willing to fold, spindle, or mutilate the letter of the regs to circumvent the intent of the regs. If my romantic associate or I are fishing under a permit for our household, only fish caught by one of us go on our permit for our household. And no fish caught by either of us are credited to any other person/permit, unless one of us is proxy fishing for someone else. Period.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to iofthetaiga again.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Am i the only one here wondering about all the boaters that are behind the wheel and without a net in the water. Is the only Legal answer that they dont keep fish. But we all know they do. If this was sprot fishing it would be clear. If you was not your hand that caught it then its not yours. But dipping isn't so clear with it. Is it a like they dont care how you get it as long as you dont go over your limit fishery.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmagers View Post
    Am i the only one here wondering about all the boaters that are behind the wheel and without a net in the water. Is the only Legal answer that they dont keep fish. But we all know they do. If this was sprot fishing it would be clear. If you was not your hand that caught it then its not yours. But dipping isn't so clear with it. Is it a like they dont care how you get it as long as you dont go over your limit fishery.
    You can keep suggesting this all you wish... Please don't include me in your "we". When I am fishing from a boat driven by someone else, I am fishing for myself/my household permit, NOT for the guy driving the boat.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Thanks family man. I cant get my last two cuz its my 39th and 40th fish and its not supplemental anymore. where does it say i can catch someone elses fish.
    If you can ignore the little cheering section for Internet Policedom on here, read the part about who can't help you and that's non residents.

Its utterly foolish for anyone to tell you that a fellow dipnetters in Alaska cannot help one another. Anyone that would even close to endorse a dum ass limitation like that isn't telling you the rules - they have another agenda.

i am not suggesting that everyone does this. Obviously some people go out with their family and fish on a boat. But with reasonable truth i can say most boats have a full crew of guys on a mens weekend fishing and i dont think there is that many gay couples in alaska.

True family man. As for what actually happens i already know. But we both know what is law is what i am looking for. yes is does say who can't help but would FG allow my inferences to protect me from a ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    You can keep suggesting this all you wish... Please don't include me in your "we". When I am fishing from a boat driven by someone else, I am fishing for myself/my household permit, NOT for the guy driving the boat.
    And you're paying him to help you, or however but he's helping you fill your permit. No offense, just a question, but are you inducing him to break the law by helping you? (I don't think so, because there's nothing wrong with us helping us.)

True family man. As for what actually happens i already know. But we both know what is law is what i am looking for. yes is does say who can't help but would FG allow my inferences to protect me from a ticket?
    In the instance where you feel you need a last resort (I've been there, and done this one) call f&G, get a name and write it down as the people the told you so. At least if you feel threatened you've got a staff name and say so.

Its not legal assurance by any stretch. And I'm not a lawyer by any stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    And you're paying him to help you, or however but he's helping you fill your permit.
    BS. If I go with another guy in his boat, I fish for me. Period. Then I'll drive the boat and he fishes for him. Period. If, as the OP suggested he was unwilling to allow me to drive his boat...well, then he doesn't fish from the boat. It's not rocket science. It's difficult to comprehend that some folks just can't seem to grasp the reality that it's possible to get the job done in a legal and scrupulous manner.
    #Resist

When I am fishing from a boat driven by someone else, I am fishing for myself/my household permit, NOT for the guy driving the boat.
    When we fish from a boat on the Copper, all the fish go into a cooler after they are caught. Afterwards, we divvy them up by various means, but by no means does anybody remember who caught which fish. The only ones we try to remember are the kings.

So, iofthetaiga, if you are going to follow the letter of the law, do you then have a separate cooler for each person fishing on the boat? Does the driver never get any fish, then?

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    So, iofthetaiga, if you are going to follow the letter of the law, do you then have a separate cooler for each person fishing on the boat? Does the driver never get any fish, then?
    <sigh> The driver of the boat only gets fish if he at some point stops driving the boat and fishes for himself.
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    When we fish from a boat on the Copper, all the fish go into a cooler after they are caught. Afterwards, we divvy them up by various means, but by no means does anybody remember who caught which fish. The only ones we try to remember are the kings.

Yes gr8fl that is how everyone there does it when boat netting. i, you have to realize that the guy driving is helping you. How about this? If the guy you were paying (or however) to drive the boat isn't helping you, then you tell me why by law that person must be an Alaska resident?

For example, no one's out of state relative can drive the boat when someones dipnetting.
    Last edited by FamilyMan; 06-24-2014 at 01:42. Reason: P.S. <sigh>

Now we dont need a huge finger pointing game. I know it is grey when it comes to the actual law. Does it specify or doesn't it. Besides that i know what people do and what i have done.,

Family man your logic in the last post sealed the deal for me on the actual law. I would follow you right into the copper off a cliff with that logic.

<sigh> The driver of the boat only gets fish if he at some point stops driving the boat and fishes for himself.
    Methinks the intent of the law is to prevent over harvesting the resource.

If the boat total does not exceed the sum of the individual permits, the intent of the law is fulfilled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's difficult to comprehend that some folks just can't seem to grasp the reality that it's possible to get the job done in a legal and scrupulous manner.
    i, please, this is about helping that guy do what's legal and right, which he wants to do. Don't try to get personal or whatever that is.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast