Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: GMU 13 Moose Hunt tips

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    7

    Default GMU 13 Moose Hunt tips

    Hello everyone!

    I've been marooned in southern California but grew up in Chugiak. I'll be heading back for a month this fall and will be moose hunting with my dad. The last time I was out there, I was 15, so the logistics of the hunt were above my pay grade. Was wondering if you guys had any advice that may be particular to that area (North of Eureka, west of Lake Louise)? Every time I take a breath and think I have all I need, I start to panic knowing it doesn't take a very big mistake for things to go wrong. My biggest concern is that after living in California for the last 15 years, there's less "Alaskan" left in me than I think. My wife's biggest concern is that there is no cell reception in that area.

    For gear, I've got a great rifle I'm intimately familiar and competent with. .30-06, and I'll be shooting 180gr. Barnes TTSX. Good sleeping bag, great boots that Im currently breaking in, HH Impertech rain gear, excellent rangefinder and binos, GPS, etc. What I'm struggling with now is the detailed stuff, particularly, pants materials. Is 65% poly / 35% cotton ok over merino wool long underwear? 100% nylon pants ok? I'm going nuts over these kinds of details and am afraid of making a bad choice.

    We'll be on four-wheelers and a Polaris Ranger which will be a nice upgrade from my last trip up the back side of Monument. We had a moose in the trailer, pulling it with a Honda Fourtrax 200, 2WD. I was driving, and my dad was on foot behind, "pushing" the trailer screaming "GIVE IT SOME GAS!! GIVE IT SOME GAS!!" I was scared out of my mind, but that ended up being my best memory with my dad. I haven't been back in 10 years and I'm only 65 days away!!!

  2. #2
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    Nonresident moose hunters need a drawing permit to hunt bull moose in unit 13 now. Do you have a permit?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Wow, I really f'd this up. Thought I had read everything multiple times, but apparently not. However, in an effort to salvage this trip, since I already have a $400 locking tag, Im good for black bear, right? I'll call ADF&G tomorrow, but maybe someone here knows.... is it possible to "upgrade" my moose locking tag to a grizzly locking tag by paying the additional $100? Also, I am correct that since my dad and brother-in-law are both residents, I don't need a licensed guide to take a grizzly, right?

  4. #4
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    You're correct that you can hunt a grizzly with your family without a guide since you are within the 2nd degree of kindred, though I don't know about upgrading your moose tag by paying the difference. For what it's worth, the area behind Eureka gets a lot of pressure these days. It's not that it's a lost cause - moose come out of there every year - but if you want to make such a trip happen with your family, perhaps consider a different area and kill two birds with one stone in that you might be able to hunt moose as well?

    As for your pants, you should be good with either. I avoid cotton as much as possible, so I'd personally go with the 100% nylon given the choices you mentioned, but with merino under layers you should be good. Stay dry if possible, get dry if you get wet, and enjoy.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    731

    Default

    unless you can cross the big rivers, the eureka area is pretty much maxed out for pressure it seems...

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Looks like we'll head to 14 or 16, as they both have general season hunts I can participate in. Im a little bummed, was really hoping to get a burger at Eureka, but, I get to hunt with my dad again, so..... I'll live without the burger

  7. #7

    Default

    Not just the burger you're missing at Eureka - love their blueberry and apple pie too! Good luck on your hunt with your family.

  8. #8
    Member shphtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    The last time I was by Eureka the restaurant was closed but that was over a year ago. Good luck with the hunt.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

  9. #9
    Member Queen of Kings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    559

    Default Eureka Lodge

    Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    The last time I was by Eureka the restaurant was closed but that was over a year ago. Good luck with the hunt.
    It isn't nor has it ever been closed! They are only closed on Tuesdays!!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    unless you can cross the big rivers, the eureka area is pretty much maxed out for pressure it seems...
    This. With the Tier I permits for caribou, moose season in that area is ridiculous people wise. You'll think you are still in California. A different Unit would make for a nicer hunt.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    This. With the Tier I permits for caribou, moose season in that area is ridiculous people wise. You'll think you are still in California. A different Unit would make for a nicer hunt.
    I spoke with a F&G guy in Anchorage the other day. He was absolutely the most kind and helpful person I've ever dealt with in a government office. Certainly NOT California! What he was advising me on was considering the restrictions listed in the regs as a hint to what moose populations might be. Essentially, the more restrictions, the smaller the population. My idea (coming from the guy who hasn't been there in 15 years) considering the location of a family cabin, would be to head towards the Talkeetna area. This essentially sits on the border of three units, 13, 14, and 16. 14 and 16 I can hunt moose, 16 we all can hunt moose and caribou, if I'm reading things properly, and all of out dates should still work, though I am flying into Anchorage on opening day for 14&16.

    I know Talkeetna will be packed, however, if we get in a week or so into the season, and head way out into the middle of nowhere, would you think we'd have a decent chance of success on moose?

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B W E View Post
    I spoke with a F&G guy in Anchorage the other day. He was absolutely the most kind and helpful person I've ever dealt with in a government office. Certainly NOT California! What he was advising me on was considering the restrictions listed in the regs as a hint to what moose populations might be. Essentially, the more restrictions, the smaller the population. My idea (coming from the guy who hasn't been there in 15 years) considering the location of a family cabin, would be to head towards the Talkeetna area. This essentially sits on the border of three units, 13, 14, and 16. 14 and 16 I can hunt moose, 16 we all can hunt moose and caribou, if I'm reading things properly, and all of out dates should still work, though I am flying into Anchorage on opening day for 14&16.

    I know Talkeetna will be packed, however, if we get in a week or so into the season, and head way out into the middle of nowhere, would you think we'd have a decent chance of success on moose?
    I think in most cases, any time you are willing to head "way out in the middle of nowhere", your odds are going up drastically for success. While the number of people going hunting may be really high, especially in the unit 13 area, if you put in some effort to get out of sight of the parking lot, you will be beyond a high percentage of the other hunters. Every mile further you go, you outrun more and more people. I don't know much about the specific area you are talking about, but just in general, your odds are going to be much higher than the average if you put in a decent effort to get away from a road or atv trail.

    Hunting the unit 13 area has changed a lot in the last decade, even more so in the last 3-4 years, with the recent changes in the regs. It definitely isn't the same as it used to be (man, I am starting to feel old saying things like that.... ). What I think has changed for the better is that there are fewer and fewer people willing to actually work for their animals, meaning the areas I hunt actually tend to get less traffic than they used to.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •