Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK-last stupid question(well maybe)

Default OK-last stupid question(well maybe)

We are heading up on July 13th- either we bring our fishing rods(2 rods and tackle box counts as 1 bag on Alaska) or we buy our stuff up there.

I know flipping for Reds is all about(well sort of)-and we have power pro 65test on a couple reels and have power pro 10 test on a couple other reels.

Is using 65# test smart- 10#test to light- Or just stop being "cheap" and buy what you need up there?

Thanks

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by pyrohobie View Post
    We are heading up on July 13th- either we bring our fishing rods(2 rods and tackle box counts as 1 bag on Alaska) or we buy our stuff up there.

I know flipping for Reds is all about(well sort of)-and we have power pro 65test on a couple reels and have power pro 10 test on a couple other reels.

Is using 65# test smart- 10#test to light- Or just stop being "cheap" and buy what you need up there?

Thanks

Doug
    10# is just plain dumb. At least 20# is the usual for reds, as they are very powerful fish in very strong current, and often find hooks in body parts other than the mouth. Depends on the rods you have whether you should look at buying when you're in state or not. Something in 10-20 or 10-17 class, 8'-9' works well for a flippin stick. The 65# power pro is fine for flipping; any lighter and the diameter gets thinner, causing more cuts to fingers. Still a good idea to wear gloves; when flipping you often are holding your line crooked in one finger; can cut like a hot knife in soft butter when you set the hook. I usually run a heavy mono leader about 6' long, 25# or so, as the power pro is so limp the drift is weird with it, and it doesn't line fish as well.

If you plan on fishing near other people with powerpro be prepared to be called a few choice names. That stuff is great for deep sea fishing but it is horrible when you are near other people and tangles are the norm. It cuts through mono like a knife and the tangles sometimes are almost impossible to undo. I've seen fist fights almost break out on the Kenai between folks using braided line and mono.

River fishing all I use is braided. In over 12 years I have only had one guy get mad at me when we tangled and it was mt fish that ran into his line because he didn't even try to get out of the way (he did the same with a few others that weren't using braided line). If I get tangled I will try to untangle quickly, even if it means to cut my line and retie. I use 80# and have only had a seal break me off down at Ship creek every other time I either kept or released the fish or even had hooks straighten out.

Where are you planning to fish. Most guys run mono and for good reasons. It won't tear the **** out of you hands while flossing, it has stretch which is a big plus when fighting salmon(less hooks ripped out) it's better for flossing, and it's cheap. Braid is good for the salt but not so good for freshwater salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    Where are you planning to fish. Most guys run mono and for good reasons. It won't tear the **** out of you hands while flossing, it has stretch which is a big plus when fighting salmon(less hooks ripped out) it's better for flossing, and it's cheap. Braid is good for the salt but not so good for freshwater salmon.
    Tell that to my freezer full of ALL RIVER CAUGHT salmon. It's not about the material your line is made of, it's about how proficient you are at fishing with whatever you're using. Heck, growing up we didn't have much money so I used baler twine for pike fishing. To be successful I learned how to become proficient with it and your opinion of less hooks ripped out with mono shows you don't do much observing of your surroundings while fishing at places like the Russian River considering how many fish I see lost to mono fisherman. I don't care if you use braided, mono, fluorocarbon, baler twine or anchor rope - become proficient with what you use and how you use it and you too can spend more time filling your freezer than snagging or loosing fish.

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    I use 80#
    I was gonna say "lemme guess, you prolly use 80# too" then I reread your post... Do you jamb up the boat launches too? You're that guy

thats debatable....
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

12# Maxima...works like a charm on the Klutina, Kenai....anywhere my freezer has ended up filling up with reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    I was gonna say "lemme guess, you prolly use 80# too" then I reread your post... Do you jamb up the boat launches too? You're that guy
    HEY! I shoulda trademarked "That Guy" I guess.

-grin-
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Braided ppl suck

I understand the problems when fishing goes wrong but i use braided as well it sure is nice not to lose a hook every ten minutes. I like previously stated only have to resharpen and straighten hooks.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

Break down and carry your rods. Ditch the tackle box. Buy a fishing vest. Pack your tackle in your suitcase.
    Results:
    Eliminate a baggage check.
    Eliminate "Chechocko" altogether...

Rosenberg; Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    Break down and carry your rods. Ditch the tackle box. Buy a fishing vest. Pack your tackle in your suitcase.
    Results:
    Eliminate a baggage check.
    Eliminate "Chechocko" altogether...

Rosenberg; Florida
    I get a chuckle everytime I see someone walking along the Russian carrying an actual tacklebox.

All my 20+ reels have braid from 20 to 250 lb, but I re-spool with 20 lb Suffix to fish the Kenai for sockeye. I want some stretch to reduce the chance of the fish tearing off the hook and I think it is unfair to the others around me to fish with braid. No offense, but the guys who swear by braid may not have to contend with the folks at public access points spaced 9 feet apart as far as you can see. I'm sure all will agree untangling mono is a whole lot easier than dealing with braid unless you like cutting lines and retying knots.

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    Tell that to my freezer full of ALL RIVER CAUGHT salmon. It's not about the material your line is made of, it's about how proficient you are at fishing with whatever you're using. Heck, growing up we didn't have much money so I used baler twine for pike fishing. To be successful I learned how to become proficient with it and your opinion of less hooks ripped out with mono shows you don't do much observing of your surroundings while fishing at places like the Russian River considering how many fish I see lost to mono fisherman. I don't care if you use braided, mono, fluorocarbon, baler twine or anchor rope - become proficient with what you use and how you use it and you too can spend more time filling your freezer than snagging or loosing fish.
    There is no question that the elasticity of mono helps prevent torn out hooks and is more "Newbie" proof than braid. If you are proficient at what you use, you are right, you can land just as many fish on braid as mono, you will just piss your neighbor fisherman off in the combat zone if your lines get tangled. i caught my limit on the Russian the other day in about 10 minutes the other day with the stick and string method. As long as you are skilled and proficient at it, go for it. For the first time beginner kenai river combat zone sockeye fisherman, I will still hold my ground and suggest mono as the way to go. I have caught hundreds of salmon on braid, and hundreds on mono. I prefer mono in the river for its forgiveness. Different strokes for different folks I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    Don't own a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by R.E.B. LA View Post
    All my 20+ reels have braid from 20 to 250 lb, but I re-spool with 20 lb Suffix to fish the Kenai for sockeye. I want some stretch to reduce the chance of the fish tearing off the hook and I think it is unfair to the others around me to fish with braid. No offense, but the guys who swear by braid may not have to contend with the folks at public access points spaced 9 feet apart as far as you can see. I'm sure all will agree untangling mono is a whole lot easier than dealing with braid unless you like cutting lines and retying knots.
    Only places I river fish. Probably fished around a whole lot of people on these boards. This year alone over 300 hrs on the rivers in crowds 10feet apart down to 5 feet apart. Only 1 tangle (fishing 10 feet apart) that was caused by a person floating down the river and casting towards the bank fisherman. I went ahead and cut my line and retied. Lot less retying than the mono fishermen who kept breaking off.

I would happily show any of you the proper technique to fish with braided line. Look for me on the riverbanks when you are down fishing, name is Tom. I can even post when and where I'll be fishing next time I go.

There is no question that the elasticity of mono helps prevent torn out hooks and is more "Newbie" proof than braid. If you are proficient at what you use, you are right, you can land just as many fish on braid as mono, you will just piss your neighbor fisherman off in the combat zone if your lines get tangled. i caught my limit on the Russian the other day in about 10 minutes the other day with the stick and string method. As long as you are skilled and proficient at it, go for it. For the first time beginner kenai river combat zone sockeye fisherman, I will still hold my ground and suggest mono as the way to go. I have caught hundreds of salmon on braid, and hundreds on mono. I prefer mono in the river for its forgiveness. Different strokes for different folks I guess...
    Well said and I agree with the first time beginner statement if you add that they go heavy with # test and a rod/reel that can handle it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast