Thread: Coghill Sockeye

Default Coghill Sockeye

Anyone ever access Coghill River from the salt? Care to share any tips?

Would love to try to fly fish the river for sockeye. Thinking I would drop in the kayaks and paddle in and see what it's like.

Snagging outside the mouth an option?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

I have snagged from the mouth. I think that I got lucky and was there at the magical moment when the commercial fishery was not open and the fish were stacked at the mouth. I was not able to get into the river with my boat. I did not try very hard.

15 horse on a 10' Sorenson doesn't get very far up stream until current is too much. Watch out for the float planes though. A friend went diving when one took off while fishing the lower river. Just missed him. Slayed them at times in the salt, other times dead.

Very much a hit-or-miss fishery. I've had no problems navigating a 10ft dinghy with a 6hp Tohatsu right up to the weir. Caught many Dollies, pinks and a cutthroat trout. Never did too well on reds...

Hit-or-miss for sure, on 7/12/12 we killed the reds in the salt water around the mouth, last year we were in there a few times in early July 8th-12th and couldn't find a red!.....thinking it has a lot to do with the gill net openings! we'll try it again this tear too tho.....
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

You definitely have to miss the openings for the commercials if snagging at coghill. They do a very thorough job of doing their job.

The year that we got into them was also 2012 and we were there over the weekend of the 4th of July. Ham - mmer - erred THEM. That run was much larger than forecasted if I remember right.

Last year we checked a couple times for nothing (and it is quite a run to just check on reds).

that run peaks right around the 4th of July. They seem to run into there very deep then pour over the steep shelf outside the lagoon, always was a hit or miss fishery, one guy gets a set for 800 and guy next to him gets 50 ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Well I'm heading over to Homer this weekend and will leave the boat there for a month Easier to fill the freezer by hitting the chicken holes with my family of 7. Won't see the Sound again till Aug.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"