Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kasiloff

Question Kasiloff

Since the dipping season isn't far away, any info on what the run is going to look like? Are the fish early this year there too? Neighbor and I were planning to do a scouting trip this coming weekend. Will it be worth our time to dip the Kasiloff or should we wait until later for that and go fishing elsewhere? This will be my first time there for dipping. My neighbor usually waits until 2nd weekend of July and does decent but was wondering if the reds there are running early like the first run on the Kenai. We both have family visiting starting the 2nd week of July and would like to spend more time with them participating in what we are doing (fishing wise). It would be nice to have our dipping done already so anything we would catch with them could be sent with them while our freezers would remain full.

Near record returns on the Kasilof for this date - should be pretty good if things continue. I might go Wednesday and Thursday. If so, I'll post a report.

Default Current Escapement compared to peak numbers in July

Date
    Count
    Cumulative
    Notes for
    Jun-22 7,830 86,052
    Jun-21 9,720 78,222
    Jun-20 16,206 68,502
    Jun-19 17,850 52,296
    Jun-18 13,296 34,446
    Jun-17 7,211 21,150
    Jun-16 6,352 13,939
    Jun-15 7,587 7,587

BTW: Average is over 30 years of returns, not just the 10 years showing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Near record returns on the Kasilof for this date - should be pretty good if things continue. I might go Wednesday and Thursday. If so, I'll post a report.
    See ya out there. We're leaving tomorrow afternoon. According to the tide book, midnight strikes 3 hours before high tide. So we'll set up in the afternoon/evening and be ready the clock strikes twelve.

PS Thursday is open to commercial fishing, so may not be worth staying after Thursday morning. Play it by ear.

I'll see you guys out there for my first dipping season ever!
    I've got a ton to learn, but I'm not afraid to jump in and try!

How did the Set-Netters do at the Kasilof this year?
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Headed down last night for the opener, was ok right when nets hit the water, but then was really slow. People at certain spots were catching some, I left with none. May try later in the season.

Default UCI Comm to 140623

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    How did the Set-Netters do at the Kasilof this year?
    Current totals

I'm not sure if he was asking how commercial set netters did or subsistence.

I'm heading down tonight to get my early season fix. It's nice living in soldotna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got here at 2:00, hit four but lost two in the first 20 minutes, then one more a half hour later. Slack tide now and really slow, but hope springs eternal. Kids from three families running on the beach - life is good even if the fishing is mediocre.

Do you dip right near the mouth? I have a small inflatable outboard. About 5 foot with a 35hp two stroke. If I go on the boat and I just running up and down by the mouth? any tips on dipping from a boat?

Quote Originally Posted by w1a9c8k5 View Post
    any tips on dipping from a boat?
    Yes. Don't fall out of the boat.

Thanx BigD! I was asking about the Personal Use set-netters on the beach, at the mouth of the Kasilof. Since their season ends the day before the dip-netting season opens, I figured that their set-net results would be a good indicator of early dip-net possibilities.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Ended with 11 - not smoking hot, but worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by w1a9c8k5 View Post
    Do you dip right near the mouth? I have a small inflatable outboard. About 5 foot with a 35hp two stroke. If I go on the boat and I just running up and down by the mouth? any tips on dipping from a boat?
    Repost of info:
    Please study the enclosed picture of the mouth of the Kasilof.

The salmon come in with the incoming tide. They follow the river channel until the mouth is flooded and can be caught off of both shores as well as all across the middle with important distinctions.

Initially, folks with start picking them up way out the south shore at the beginning of the channel. They tend to then follow the northern edge of the channel as they move up towards the point, although significant numbers still allow for good catches on the south shore.

As the tide continues to flood, the bulk of the fish are swept past the mouth, and they turn and swim south along the beach towards the point. This is when you will see folks catching fish north of the point along the beach, and kids catching fish behind the adults standing up to their chests up at the point.

The south shore offers much more camping room, and a nicer, gravelly bottom to stand on. People are able to back up their rigs and launch boats off the south beach. You can do just fine on the south beach, but the bulk of the fish follow the northern river channel and the northern beach on their way to the river.

The north shore has much more muck. I have personally fished the north edge of the river channel all the way out to the second can and worked up with the incoming tide. It is treacherous, and an easy way to die.

With the flooding tide, the muck flats quickly disappear under water. You can find yourself a long way from the beach in a short time.

You will see the most inefficient fishing imaginable at the north shore. People will slog way offshore, catch a fish, and drag it all the way back to the beach in order to get it out of their net. In the meantime, more fish are going by and, invariably, someone moves in to take their place. Stay in place, remove the fish from your net, and put it in a web bag. They will fall off a stringer as their jaws get pretty soft after a while.

Upriver on the north bank beyond the point, many people do fine in the little cove there. As the tide goes out, though, you've got the muck to contend with.

My preferred method is to use a 12' skiff with a 6hp kicker. It's small enough to throw it in all by yourself, and it allows you to find where the bunches of fish are and leapfrog your way as they move towards the point. With a boat, you can always have your net basket in the right direction whether the tide is flowing or ebbing. Slack time is also fishable, once you find where they are laying, waiting for the water to move.

As far as noise goes, both shores of the Kasilof are pretty noisy at night with ATV's and fireworks and all.

I prefer the north shore for camping. Get there early though, as space is limited.

Please don't get your truck stuck on the beach below high water line.

~tr

Fish fever!! Went with my son last night. Nets in the water about 940 pm. Low tide was 10 pm. 2 nets on 20 foot poles. We were driving off the beach at 5 to minute with 10 reds in the cooler. They came in spurts. North beach.

The personal use set netting was good on the north beach, With the new time of being out of the water by 3pm it was a lot more fun not being up at 2am cleaning fish when the time out was 11pm. Then you had to be up early the next day to catch the tide. The south beach had a lot more people this year.

Was there on opening day. Fished two incoming tides and got 10 fish with only one net. Fish are appreciably much larger than lat year's run. My largest fish was. 6lbs, gutted. My ten fish filleted out to 22 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Fish are appreciably much larger than lat year's run.
    I noticed that as well. Two of our fish were like a large 2nd run Kenai red - impressively large.

Sometimes the Kenai reds stick their noses into the Kasilof mouth and cruise around long enough to get caught.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast