Thread: New battery- suggestions

Default New battery- suggestions

I am sure this issue has been pounded prior but need some sound advice for a new battery. My blue top optima 34 battery went dead after 7 years and now looking for a replacement. I have two batteries and the other is an optima as well. I use the battery for starting and running accessories. Should I stay with the optima or look into another brand? Price is an issue as I don't want to spend more than the replacement cost of a new optima. Any suggestions?

costco deep cycle/marine batteries did me good for all the years i had my bowpicker, lived out on the sound for 1 to 2 weeks at a time and they never let me down.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thanks for the response. I had seen in a previous thread you have had good luck with them for many years. Will they serve the dual purpose for starting and running electronics, etc?

If I had a marine battery to last me 7 years it would be a easy choice as to what I would replace it with.

Anyone tried the cabelas dual purpose batteries? Thinking of going with them. Mixed reviews is what I am seeing.

The car batteries on my boat are 8 years old and one of them is shot - the other is not far behind I'm sure.

There is not a lot of information to make a good recommendation such as, battery drain, type of engine, how you are charging the batteries, etc. It also not recommended to mix new and old batteries or difference types, if you are charging them in parallel. So if your not charging them in parallel
    any marine 34 batteries should be ok. That said the blue top optima batteries are working and if you do have any problems in the future you would wish you had stay with them.

Unless money is a major problem I would stay with the optima batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Anyone tried the cabelas dual purpose batteries? Thinking of going with them. Mixed reviews is what I am seeing.

The car batteries on my boat are 8 years old and one of them is shot - the other is not far behind I'm sure.
    I don't know if this is going to help or not, I would put money on it that they are made by the same company that make batteries for, Sears, Cosco, Sam's, Wallmart, Etc. The reason for the mix reviews are because of the users not the batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by mwidaman View Post
    Thanks for the response. I had seen in a previous thread you have had good luck with them for many years. Will they serve the dual purpose for starting and running electronics, etc?
    started the volvo diesel i had never a problem.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692