Thread: Fall grizzly hunt suggestions?

Default Fall grizzly hunt suggestions?

Im located in Anchorage, looking to go to a unit where I can get a regular harvest tag, and have a good chance at spotting a decent sized grizzly! Any input would be appreciated. I'm thinking of going to alpine creek lodge around the end of September up near denali? any other suggestions? Thanks again!

that is a decent plan. You will not need a harvest tag in unit 13. By the end of September there will be many gut piles around for moose and caribou hunting. Don't know about the size of the grizzly, but there are some good sized ones that come out of there. Make sure you read the regulations for the controlled use area on the north side of the road. If you are ATV based then there are several trails on the south side.

Over by the Maclaren River there is a road you can walk in on and hunt the hillsides to the north of the highway. There will be folks on horse back up there and may be folks on foot. There are a few bears in there hidden in the brush. Find a gut pile out on the flats. Bears also take cow moose down in that valley and cache them. You can line a canoe up the river or one of the side creeks as well. Back in my youth I had a few close calls in there. Things have not changed much.

thanks very much man! yea im pretty excited im kinda using this as a back up plan i'd really like to get a permit to hunt the kenai in the fall just because I know there are bigger bears in more concentrated of an area but I don't know if they are already closed down there or not, I been in training the last few months and missed my spring hunt and just now getting back to see whats new I guess

Quote Originally Posted by jbreadyrltw View Post
    im kinda using this as a back up plan i'd really like to get a permit to hunt the kenai in the fall
    I wasn't going to say anything as until you said this as per your first post it seemed like you wanted an interior grizz rather than a brownie. I usually take it pretty literal....somebody says grizzly I think up north. Somebody says brownie I think down here or somewhere on the coast.

It's just a registration permit down here now as you probably already know. And from the way it went this past season, I wouldn't doubt it that it will be open for quite awhile again this coming one. You just never know though as all it will take is for one too many sows to be killed, or early sow DLPs and that will be the end of it. Luckily that wasn't the case this year because the majority of kills were boars, and it went on for the scheduled duration. So yes, use the Denali area as a back up, but I sure would plan on the Kenai. Just get in there and get your permit early and get after it.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

4merguide when would you say optimal time to be down in the kenai would be? I have to put in for leave in advance so im trying to figure out dates as I type this

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I wasn't going to say anything as until you said this as per your first post it seemed like you wanted an interior grizz rather than a brownie. I usually take it pretty literal....somebody says grizzly I think up north. Somebody says brownie I think down here or somewhere on the coast.

It's just a registration permit down here now as you probably already know. And from the way it went this past season, I wouldn't doubt it that it will be open for quite awhile again this coming one. You just never know though as all it will take is for one too many sows to be killed, or early sow DLPs and that will be the end of it. Luckily that wasn't the case this year because the majority of kills were boars, and it went on for the scheduled duration. So yes, use the Denali area as a back up, but I sure would plan on the Kenai. Just get in there and get your permit early and get after it.
    4merguide do you have any suggestions of lodges where I could go stay in kenai for reasonably priced deal and within driving distance where I could go "get lost" off the beaten path for awhile? if so what time frame would you recommend? I have to put in leave so I would like to know some prime dates if you don't mind revealing some information

On the kenai, you could stay at summit lake lodge or trail lake lodge for cheap and be n the thick of black bear country and some browns. You could drive towards hope or Seward to hunt.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Yes, there's plenty of places to stay close where you could be out chasing them in short order.....

Being that it's a registration hunt, optimal time or not, you may want to consider getting after it as soon as it opens. Like I said you just never know when they could put the kibosh down on the season. But if you want to "chance" it, the later the better as far as the hides go.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!