Thread: Any Sitka members?

Default Any Sitka members?

Should have thought of this sooner but just wondering if there are any Sitka members here. The family will be in sitka the 23rd- the 27th and looking for some advice. My wife isn't going fishing every day and looking for some things to do on maybe the 25th and or the 26th. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions or a wife that might be willing to spend some time with a christian Lady and do a little site seeing or do coffee etc.

Thanks for the help
    Semper Fi and God Bless

There is all kinds of sightseeing opportunities here for your wife, lots within walking distancw and we do have a bus service to get around on too called The Ride.

There is a lot to do and see in and around town. Hike up to Beaver lake if your into hiking. Or hike around on some of the local trails here. Not sure if Harbor Mountain road is open yet, but you could drive/hike up there and check it out; great view from up there. You could go out the road to Fortress of the Bear and see the bears.

I use to live there and fish out of there, including attended Sheldon Jackson College. Check out Totem Park by college. Great trails around there. You can probably find someone to take you over to the hot springs also. Drive every road you can find. Should be able to do them all in about 3 to 4 hours! Great little shops around town. Set up for cruise ship passengers, and pretty nice. Lots of history there!
    Have fun!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Check out the raptor center as well. Great little town to visit.

Just stay away from the P. Bar!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Touché! I am a local and haven't set foot in there for 4 years!

Less on the sightseeing side, but what sort of fishing might a person find around Sitka at that time of year?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Less on the sightseeing side, but what sort of fishing might a person find around Sitka at that time of year?
    You name it, its there. Kings, silvers, lings, butts. Hard to find better fishing than Sitka in July.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    You name it, its there. Kings, silvers, lings, butts. Hard to find better fishing than Sitka in July.
    Thanks! Are those kings and silvers coming into some river where one might reach them with a flyrod?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    tlingetwarrior is right. July/August, all fish are abundant. Ling cod are so easy to catch we just usually shake them or give them away. Halibut are migrating in to shallower water and are more abundant. This year is a record king salmon year, and they are still more than plentiful even after the commercial king opener. Of course the coho are thick here right now as well already...Power trollers are pulling 150-300 a day... Bottom line is; whatever fish you want to catch, you most likely will without any trouble.

It's a little early for the Coho to be heading to the rivers. September/October are the best months here for coho river fishing.