Thread: Seward this weekend

Default Seward this weekend

So, I took a friend and his daughter out fishing Saturday. We went out looking for some rockfish for the kids and of course halibut. We caught more than enough rockfish around the cape. Then decided not to run east due to the weather. Hit up Mary's bay, pilot rock and only got 1 cod, 1 huge ling, then pony we caught some salmon. This was the slowest halibut fishing in the last 4 year of having a boat. For once the weather got better as the day went on. oh around lunch time my friend and his daughter opened their lunch, bananas! Yes bananas! Im hoping that was the problem. I can't wait for next weekend! Without bananas of course !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of salmon did you catch at pony?
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Large plantains are no bueno!

Quote Originally Posted by akshootnscoot View Post
    Large plantains are no bueno!
    You won't even say the words will ya?

I'd be interested in the salmon at Pony as well. A few silvers should be starting to mill around by now for sure.

I've seen it too many times not to believe. My boat is tied up at Z float, and that word is forbidden on board. Large plantains and long yellow fruit are the only acceptable means of discussing them. Hoping to head around to the sound tomorrow night if I can get everything in order!

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Couple pinks and a jack king

Not even in the form of bread on my boat!!

Bananas are a long running joke on my boat. I've had guys hook them and jig with bananas for black bass and halibut. They do work! 2 gals I had this year showed up with a few. I protested, and then they proceeded to slay the kings, leaving their husbands in the dust. Every time we'd have a slow down, they whip out a banana and we go back to slaying fish.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Bananas are a long running joke on my boat. I've had guys hook them and jig with bananas for black bass and halibut. They do work! 2 gals I had this year showed up with a few. I protested, and then they proceeded to slay the kings, leaving their husbands in the dust. Every time we'd have a slow down, they whip out a banana and we go back to slaying fish.
    270, where exactly did you get those bananas at? They Must be a special kind.

I shouldn't even be reading this thread with all this talk!

Just curious what ya all call banana weights on your boats.....Or do you even bring them?

True story; years ago, first time to AK , had never heard the bad luck banana lore. We're backfilling on the Kenai on a guided trip, nothing happening at all. Wife pulls out a banana and I thought the guide was gonna have a fit!
    She eats it (fast!), and the guide says she has to toss the peel overboard.
    You guessed it...it isn't 60 seconds and we have a takedown, and end up 3 for 4 on the day
    Coincedence ? Maybe... The great thing is, I don't even like bananas anyway, so I'd never bring one anyway, and my wife is pretty convinced

Um... Back trolling I guess)

I love banana stories. My personal favorite happened years ago when my sister, wife and I were just getting ready to leave the dock on a charter. The captain asked very politely and eagerly if anyone had brought any bananas, kind of like he was hoping someone had so he could eat one. My wife and I looked at each other knowing what was up, but sure enough my sister says "Oh I did!" So the captain says "Let me see!" My sister proudly unpacks her bananas, whereupon the captain takes them and does a "Hail Mary-like" throw to get them as far away from his boat as possible. He then informs my sister that he had no choice to assure we had had a good day fishing, which we did! I guess you had to be there, but it was priceless.

Wwhheeeeelllllpppp, thought I was headed around to the sound this morning. Made it as far as thumb cove. Hade a mid shaft bearing issue after some work was done in the off season. On the way back to seward, had some issues due to high exhaust temp. Ended up using the skiff to tow the boat in. I think it's time to start going through the galley to check ingredients in the food. One of my guys probably snuck on some "long yellow fruit" boat brand sun screen. Which is grounds for termination on this vessel. Or I've spent too much time on this thread with the B word thrown around all willy nilly. Maybe the mods need to do some cleaning up...

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    We picked up Silvers and a King near Montague last weekend and friends have caught Silvers in Res. Bay over the last 2 weeks. Didn't fish Pony on the way through but the Silvers are sure to be there already...jumpers all over and quite a few chasing Halibut gear to the boat.

And we had bananas aboard. I'm pretty sure the fish don't know.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff