Thread: Ethical conundrum...when is it time to go back to the rifle for awhile?? thoughts??

Default Ethical conundrum...when is it time to go back to the rifle for awhile?? thoughts??

Something's been on my mind awhile, and I figured it might make for some good debate. I've been getting more and more into bowhunting the past couple years, and it's been quite the learning experience. The subject comes to my mind because between people I know, and from hunting with a couple buddies of mine that are outfitters, it seems like there is a much larger percentage of wounding and not recovering animals going on from bowhunters as opposed to rifle hunters. Of course there are a lot of great bowhunters out there, and rifle hunters wound animals as well, but in the past couple years, it just seems like instances just keep popping up. Mistakes happen...and someone who says they haven't made a bad shot is either lying or hasn't been doing it very long, but I think it's our responsibility to prepare ourselves adequately. Some of the hunters I've seen can't hold a group at 15 yards on a target, and some shoot well on target, but get too wound up and regularly choke at the moment of truth. We each love bowhunting for different reasons, but I think that everyone, including the most die hard, bowhunting only hunters should evaluate ourselves honestly, and in some cases, admit that if we are going to do a certain hunt that we're not prepared for or can't hold it together, just take a rifle. There are hunts that I know I'm not ready for with a bow, but the hunt itself is more important to me than what weapon I choose. What are your thoughts? How do you all set or evaluate your ethical limits for a given hunt?
    Last edited by brcrkbandit; 06-21-2014 at 22:46. Reason: clarification on the question

"I only hunt for the meat" if a fair representation for me, I would leave the moose rack/bear hide in the field if I am allowed. As a co-worker pointed out to me. If my freezer is not empty I will switch to the bow and decrease my chances a little of bringing something home. I still enjoy going no matter which weapon. If you are not prepared then don't shoot and just try to learn from the animal.
    I have a much higher ethical limit than most I have hunted with, regarding shot placement. I have not taken the shot many times where I could have killed but it wouldn't have been fast or clean. That being said I disagree with your quote which I have heard many times.
    Quote Originally Posted by brcrkbandit View Post
    Mistakes happen...and someone who says they haven't made a bad shot is either lying or hasn't been doing it very long
    Never have lost one, for big game animals anyway. Small game and bird are a different story. I think I may fall under seasoned but not yet crusty for length of hunting career. If I am crusty, I am not admitting it yet!

I wonder if it is the same lack of caring and patience society shows with many other facets of life. The fast pace and lack of "extra time" for some one to shoot a bow or rifle, is just compounded with a bow. Ignorance to limitations could be another factor, I have repeatedly heard from friends that did the haul rd say something like "i was comfy out to 50yds and the bou was at 70 so I just held over and ended up with a gut shot". Drives me crazy...

I don't have the answer to how we get people to place higher values on our resources. I wish I did.

Let me start by saying I don't bow hunt. I don't see the ethical issue that you see. From your post, I get the impression that you are concerned about wounded and lost animal rates among bow hunters in general, as though that is some reflection on you and your hunting. To some extent, perhaps it is, at least to outsiders, but the very fact that you are having this bit of self reflection tells me it is not a reflection on you or your hunt.

You can't control what others do, and you can't control what others think. All you can do is run your race. If you have set yourself a high standard before your hunt, and you stick to it, you've done the best you can, and you've done what our community, and the animal, expects of you.

You know your abilities-I (or others) do not. If you don't feel a particular hunt is appropriate for archery, either use a rifle or don't go. But don't lose any sleep, or give up archery, because some other guy you don't even know made the news because he took a stupid shot. If you are really that concerned about the other guy, the two best things you can do to change our world is to be the change you want to see and teach the general and archery hunter ed classes.

Try not to assume the weight of the world because of something someone else does.

Bowhunting is a great way to hunt. That said, it is more affected by little things which makes it harder to be consistently accurate than using a gun. I used to be a bow hunting fanatic and it was actually how I first started hunting.

If wounding rates are higher it's the bowhunter not the bow.

Everyone must set their own boundaries on what they are comfortable with, so no one can really answer that for you except yourself.

The truth of it is that animals wounded by rifle fire don't make the titillating news that arrow-wounded animals make. It's the same as those accidents between airplanes and automobiles. Very few auto accidents make the front pages, but every single aircraft accident does.

More of a dilemma used to be the young GI that came to Alaska on assignment, checked out a .30 caliber carbine and a handful of ball ammunition, and then went out moose, caribou, or bear hunting. Wounded animals were almost a guaranteed result.

The real problem is a matter of hunting ethics and personal responsibility. If you have both, then your choice of weapons will not matter. If you don't, you really shouldn't go hunting in the first place.

No matter what you use a bullet or arrow we all need to learn as much as we can about how to follow a blood trail to insure when it does happen we are prepared to find the animal.

There are rules a person can learn and items you can take with you that will help to find the animal. I can't think of a better time to start your research.

You often hear well it will be dark soon so lets just get some sleep and follow it up tommrow. Also you hear lets give it time to lay down and bleed out or stiffen up some. For me I'm on it till the gutting starts then take my time. I believe a critter bleeds out a lot faster being followed with its heart beating hard than laying down and haveing the holes plugged by the ground and shifting fat. I'll also say about twenty feet is my long follow up but I was moving foward at the shot.JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I used to teach bow hunting in hunter safety courses and the first and last thing I covered in a 4 hour discussion was ethics. I did it mostly for the kids in the class because I figured the adults had already made up their minds about what was right and wrong and there was little chance of me changing their minds. I used slides of deer that were hit poorly and died but were not recovered by the shooter. I want to believe they made a difference for the younger hunters and made them think about their shot and whether they could make a humane kill and if they weren't certain, they would not take the shot. Same thing applies to the shot with a rifle, handgun or shotgun, centerfire, rimfire or muzzle loader...doesn't matter. Hard to tell if I got thru to them, but at least I tried.

Personally, I'm totally catch and release with the fly rod and except for wolf that need to be killed, I'm letting my kids get the meat for the freezer...just being out there is enough for me.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I used to teach bow hunting in hunter safety courses and the first and last thing I covered in a 4 hour discussion was ethics. I did it mostly for the kids in the class because I figured the adults had already made up their minds about what was right and wrong and there was little chance of me changing their minds. I used slides of deer that were hit poorly and died but were not recovered by the shooter. I want to believe they made a difference for the younger hunters and made them think about their shot and whether they could make a humane kill and if they weren't certain, they would not take the shot. Same thing applies to the shot with a rifle, handgun or shotgun, centerfire, rimfire or muzzle loader...doesn't matter. Hard to tell if I got thru to them, but at least I tried.

Personally, I'm totally catch and release with the fly rod and except for wolf that need to be killed, I'm letting my kids get the meat for the freezer...just being out there is enough for me.
    AMEN !!! Well said and to the point.