Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low recoil moose hunting round for injured hunter

Default Low recoil moose hunting round for injured hunter

I went and screwed up my moose season this year by having coronary bypass surgery last week. My chest is supposed to heal by September and then I might begin shooting again. There is a snow balls chance in Hades that I might find myself in moose territory for a few days in late Setember. So, what guns would be a good choice for low recoil with an ethical kill on a legal size moose?
    The smallest gun in the safe is my wifes .308, and it is pretty short for me.

How are the lever guns on recoil? Anybody shoot a big pistol after heart surgery?

Default Low recoil moose hunting round for injured hunter

My first thought would be a high quality crossbow. Otherwise, 6.5 Mauser or 7mm-08 would definitely kill a moose without messing your recovery up too bad. The ruger scout rifle with its flash suppressor and short barrel has pretty tame recoil. I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Default RCM

Ruger Compact Mag might be the way to go. Different calibers available, I shoot their .338 and it is a very light recoil.

Yes its discontinued production for RCM now, but its still quite a doable solution to get into for the long term.

As mentioned- 7-08, .308 I've had personal experience with and in the same vein- 7x57, 6.5x55, .257Rob, .270Win, .260 Rem,....even the .243 and 30-30 if you get close enough.

Moose don't require a cannon to take down- light cartridges have been putting them in the dirt for ages if you can shoot straight and pick your shot.. A close friend has shot a train load of them with the 7x57.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have a Savage Striker in 308 win that does real good on caribou and sheep. No reason that it would not also do the job, with a properly placed bullet. The Striker is a bolt action 'pistol' with a 15" barrel and mine has a 4x scope. It might be something to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Moose don't require a cannon to take down- light cartridges have been putting them in the dirt for ages if you can shoot straight and pick your shot.. A close friend has shot a train load of them with the 7x57.
    Yup. Still the most common round used to kill moose on the planet is the 6.5 Mauser. Sweden manages their moose so well that they take I think 5 times more each year than Alaska and 90% are downed with those trusty old surplus Swedish mausers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I've hunted (and killed) moose with both a 270 Win. and a 30-30. Either one is sufficient for moose and is about as low recoil as you're going to get on a big game rifle. My personal preference would probably be the 270 simply because it is more versatile. The 30-30 does a fine job killing moose, but doesn't have the range that the 270 does.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I'd imagine a light load in 308 would be a good option.

PM sent
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

perhaps a semi auto 308 so the gas takes up some of the recoil and change d the pad to a trap dude style.

+1 for the 6.5 mauser or 7mm mauser. The 260,7-08 and 308 should also have significantly reduced recoil over the 30-06 or larger cased rounds. A good LIMBSAVER recoil pad and a PAST shooting pad or jacket would also be a good investment.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I am thinking of a 264 win. A lot like a 270, especially if I load it down a bit.

Why not .308? Plenty for moose

The 308 is plenty for moose, if the stock is too short put a extender pad on it for you.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Don't know much about hunting moose but it seems a solid handgun (44 mag/45 Colt) would beat up on your upper body less than a rifle. Most everything is soaked up in the arms. Best of luck on a speedy recovery.

260 Remington w/Nosler Trophy Grade 140 partitions or 6.5x55 (Good luck finding one)

Remington makes their "Managed Recoil" line of ammunition for those who need a lighter factory loading in their regular hunting rifles. Add a slip-on recoil pad to temporarily increase the stock length and cushion your shoulder. (I just picked up a couple boxes of .308 MR at Sportsmans in Soldotna, for my daughter to use on her first caribou youth hunt.) If you can get really close to the moose, don't overlook the MR shotgun slugs, in a softer-recoiling auto-loader, it could be just the ticket. Same would apply to a semi-auto rifle, too, where the "felt" recoil is reduced, by spreading out the impulse over a longer dwell period.

Managed-Recoil®

• Overview
    • Specifications

Overview:

For years, shooters have wished for and hand-loaders have attempted to create a lower recoil load – usually by simply reducing the amount of gunpowder. The results did create less kick, but at the expense of bullet expansion and on-game performance. For many years, the gap between low recoil and effective hunting performance seemed an insurmountable one. That is, until now.
    Managed-Recoil Centerfire Ammunition delivers the trusted Remington® field proven hunting performance out to 200 yards with half the recoil. How? Through a specialized new bullet that was developed specifically to perform at these cartridge’s velocity levels. These bullets are optimized to provide 2x expansion with over 75% weight retention on shots inside of 50 yards and out to 200 yards. The end result is a high performance bullet optimized to provide the on-game results you've come to expect from Remington Ammunition with just half the felt recoil.
    Managed-Recoil® Technology has been applied to Remington’s most devastating lead slug. We’ve reduced felt recoil by over 40% to make the BuckHammer® easier on the shooter without sacrificing its on-game performance. The Managed-Recoil BuckHammer 12-gauge slug travels at a fast 1,350 fps at the muzzle and maintains an impressive 1,032 ft-lb. of deer-stopping energy at 100 yards. The 20-gauge, at 1,275 fps., delivers 746 ft.-lb. of energy at 100 yards. Standard BuckHammer and Managed-Recoil BuckHammer slugs are designed for use with fully-rifled barrels or rifled choke tubes.
    The best-selling terminal performance and accuracy of our Copper Solid Slugs is now available in Managed-Recoil loads. With 40% less recoil, they’re perfect for anyone who wants outstanding on-game results without the rearward punch. Or, use them to sight-in, then step up to full loads. There’s no finer slug load for young or recoil-sensitive hunters.
    Managed-Recoil® Slugger® Rifled Slugs offer remarkably effective performance with 45% less felt recoil than full velocity Sluggers. With effective energy out to 80 yards, these 1-ounce slugs easily handle the majority of shotgun deer hunting ranges. Also check out Managed-Recoil Buckshot; it’s an ideal close-range performer.
    Key Features:

• Fully effective hunting performance with less than 50% of the recoil of standard cartridges
    • Less anticipation of recoil
    • Increased shooter confidence and improved shot placement
    • Quicker scope recovery for faster second shot placement
    • Point of aim is within 2" of a standard cartridge at 100 yards
    • Target practice without the recoil pounding
    • Specially designed bullets are optimized to deliver 2x expansion with over 75% weight retention on shots out to 200 yards

Compare
    Full Specs
    Caliber Index Bullet Type Primer Number Weight Muzzle Velocity Order #
    260 Remington RL2601 Core-Lokt Pointed Soft Point 9 1/2 140 2360 27610
    270 Win. RL270W2 Core-Lokt Pointed Soft Point 9 1/2 115 2710 27616
    30-06 Springfield RL30062 Core-Lokt Pointed Soft Point 9 1/2 125 2660 27622
    300 Rem Ultra Mag RL300UM1 Core-Lokt Pointed Soft Point 9 1/2M 150 2815 27640
    30-30 Win. RL30301 Core-Lokt Pointed Soft Point 9 1/2 125 2175 27644
    300 Win Mag RL300W1 Core-Lokt Pointed Soft Point 9 1/2 150 2650 27648
    7mm Rem Magnum RL7MM4 Core-Lokt Pointed Soft Point 9 1/2 M 140 2710 27658
    7mm-08 Remington RL7M081 Core-Lokt Pointed Soft Point 9 1/2 140 2361 27660
    308 Win. RL308W1 Core-Lokt Pointed Soft Point 9 1/2 125 2660 27672
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

I have used the Managed Recoil .308 ammunition with my son- works exactly as advertised. Shot to same basic POI at regular 150gr. full loads and recoiled approximately like a 30-30.

I'm frequently underwhelmed with marketing...but this one works. No game with it but I see no reason it wouldn't work.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

While "Managed Recoil" ammo may well produce reduced recoil as advertised. I'm not sure the bullet/weight construction in 308/30-06 is entirely adequate for an animal as large as a moose. A "PAST" reciol shooting jacket would give the same reduction in recoil and still not effect ammuntion performance or selection.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

if the short action has some WEIGHT, that will make all the difference with the short action cartridges. I've had a 260 remington ruger compact rifle that severerly bruised me with only 140 grainers. A short action around 7 lbs in my experience, doesn't even warrant a recoil pad.

308 winchester, 338 federal, 358 winchester.....those are your game makers. to answer your question, my 358 winchester/savage 99 shooting 275 grainers through moose, feels like the kick of a 30-30 winchester, honestly.

Three .308 in my family. Kids have taken two moose with this round
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast