Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rokons?

Default Rokons?

Anyone using one, or have used one for boondockin'? curious what the word on the street is about these things.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default rokon

I ran across one while ATVing, maybe 2 seasons ago. I was pretty impressed. I had gone thru what I though were a few challenging places to get where I was, and there I see a guy that had made it thru everything I had; his rig:

Rokon with him and wife on it, towing an offroad meat wagon loaded with crap and a huge dog in it also. I hung with him for a very short time and saw that to get thru a tough spot he had his wife dismount and walk and he'd drive the rig right thru (anything). The guy was very skilled with it; I suspect it took him many years to be able to drive that thing so darned well.

There's a former member in meadow lakes that uses one; he posted a pic of him on his awhile back.

Decades ago in Mt. there were 2 guys that drug out many whole elk over almost anything. They used ice screws in the tires for snowy ,icy trails. The front guy pulled the elk and the second guy was the brakes for the downhills....no fuss. The darn things go through stupid terrain if you have 2 wheeler skills, and they were always reported to beat you to death due to no suspension and vibration. These guys told me it was more comfy to walk and used the Rokons as pack horses only after game was down. Another old friend halved his elk into front and back halves, then split the spine but not the hide, and rode on top of all that to the truck. We always used horses to walk out half an elk prepped the same way. I don't think Rokons have changed all that much. I am talking about mid 70s 2 stroker Rokons. They still catch my eye when I see the ads until I see the price. They are a great tool if you have the right job and clutter if you don't IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Anyone using one, or have used one for boondockin'? curious what the word on the street is about these things.

BRWNBR,,,, Back-in the day, I've had several of them, they have been around since the mid-50's early 60's, all american made, quite the story behind there "Design" all mine were prior to the "New-Design" Trail Breaker with the front suspension, and all mine were 2-strokes, I've got some Friends, old hunting buddies in Montana & Idaho that use them quite regularly, in fact they are considered the "Best" Single Track Machine out there, period,,, and with that new 4-stroke Kohler, there pretty much "Bullet-Proof". In fact one of the guy's hunts Lions off of one in the spring and summer, and off his snow machine in the winter. He has his Dog strike-box on a Single-Track Trailer made by Rokon, again if you can stay on it, it will "Literally" climb a tree. If I didn't have my Argo, that's exactly what I would have, that "New" Trail-Breaker, with that single-track trailer behind it.

Attachment 79281
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

Saw a few in Idaho and the things are amazing! Can go right up narrow saddles/ridges and then if you don't have a wagon- can use a sliding plastic to get game out which works well. People complain about the harsh ride but as The German states- there is some suspension now. I used a Fat Cat Honda when I was there but it wouldn't go anywhere near the same places. I have been thinking about getting one here just for ease of transport (can fit on holder on hitch) and for narrow areas. There is a guy in the Valley who collects them.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    There is a guy in the Valley who collects them.
    I will try to find out if the guy is still around the Valley and collecting- I haven't seen him for about 5 years.

In Idaho they were classified as an ATV as far as being able to go on 'ATV only' trails, whereas dirt bikes were not. At least that is what I was told by Forest Service and Game Warden around Yellowpine when I was there. I don't know about Alaska rules for them if they would be considered one or not. With the large tires they have a very gentle footprint and are certainly not designed for 'tearing it up' velocity wise. I was told by one owner that it is more like trials bike skills to riding them than typical dirt bike.

The optional hollow wheels can be used for flotation or to hold fluids such as water or fuel. The website has links to cool videos of them in action.

I worked at a place that had a couple... I was less than impressed.

When they ran they had some interesting capability but the engines were problematic in ours. Not really worth the money in my book.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I worked at a place that had a couple... I was less than impressed.

When they ran they had some interesting capability but the engines were problematic in ours. Not really worth the money in my book.
    The new ones have option of Honda or Kohler 4 strokes (depends on model of Rokon).

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    The new ones have option of Honda or Kohler 4 strokes (depends on model of Rokon).
    \

I'm pretty sure ours were Briggs and Strattons back then. If the engines had been better they might be a better deal but for $7500 (new) they're pretty spendy.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

i've seen honda, polaris, skidoo, super cubs, chevy's, fords, gmc's, arctic cat, cessna and so on that i haven't been impressed with. like any other engine you've gotta take care of it. they do mention air and fuel filter care being important as well and shut off for the fuel flow, it can leak into the carbs they said.
    I see new scout rokons listed for around 6 grand from dealerships in the lower 48. i'm intriged by these things....
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    \

I'm pretty sure ours were Briggs and Strattons back then. If the engines had been better they might be a better deal but for $7500 (new) they're pretty spendy.

To hodgeman; Rokon's never had Briggs on them, at least, not from the factory that is.
    They started out with a 2-cycle, West-Bend Chrysler-Marine, and then in the later years, Honda@ 5hp and the Kohler@ 7hp, both of these are 4-strokes, and do very well, they even have electric start available as an option.

The German

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post

BRWNBR,,,, Local Dealer,

Attachment 79286

Good friend has one a 1969 with a two stroke. He can go ANYWHERE on that thing. Places that i would say no way...... Does it every time. Creek beds/banks, fallen timber/bush, mud holes, deep ruts. Watched him lay it on its side, sit on it and paddle across a good size pond. He's 240 6'3. It was his dads and his dad pulled/carried lots of large game with it. His dad carried extra fuel in one wheel and water in the other. Not fast at all but will climb a tree. I have riden it a dozen times over the years and it's not hard to manage some tuff areas with it. It's low to the ground with 10" wide tires. He has climb some stuff with that Roken that i don't believe i could walk/crall up.

i called the local dealer listed on the websight, he will order them for you, said it takes about three weeks to get one up here. i did not ask the cost. don't have the coin for one now anyway, didn't want to tease myself more. i wonder if these would have caught on more if they weren't so ugly. i can see one strapped to the floats on a plane.....talk about go anywhere....
    Master guide 212

We were out on my property today and walking on many game trails- a Rokon would be pretty sweet to ride them and see a lot of country much faster than walking. If I didn't need a tractor I think I would try to get one sooner rather than later.

I have a newer model with a Kohler engine and have used it for several years. The engine is not as bullet proof as I would like - I've had magneto and carburetor problems, but was probably lax on doing preventive maintenance. It is a beast that will take you places you probably shouldn't be. It is heavy and has a very wide turning radius and is difficult to back up. It is also slow and very noisy. I got caught between two trees a couple of years ago and nearly broke my leg. I also had a scary experience while attempting to ride through the tussocks of permafrost.

I used to carry it in the cabin of my airplane (C-172) and I now carry it easily in any inflatable river boat. I also had a small trailer that I used to haul it with and then used that same trailer as a meat wagon in the field - but that required wider trails or more open terrain. It is a very versatile and useful machine. It probably has more positive qualities than negative ones. You could say the same thing about a horse.

I have a 74 and the 2 stroke power bee engine is loud! Sounds like an airplane but only goes 15mph. I have been passed by thin guys on mountain bikes. They seem offended to have to go through the cloud of smoke left by the mixed gas engine. The new 4 strokers would be much quieter and much easier on the ozone layer. You can buy a single track trailer that makes it quite useful..without the trailer they aren't so great at hauling.
    They go anywhere but slowly. 10-12 mph is a good cruising speed.

Here is a video someone made of the single track trailer. Looks great. you can also buy a side car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXc5QqMLI5g

Rokons - what a blast! Had two of 'em when I was a kid (10-12 yo). Things will go ANYWHERE; up hills, through 4' of snow.... Have a tendency to get away from you in the rutty hard clay though (at least with the directional tractor tread tires ours had), and usually when you go down the snorkel pipe whacks you right in the jewels...

I have a '98 Rokon Ranger with the Honda engine that I bought used a couple of years ago. It's been trouble-free and goes places four wheelers can't but I'll admit that it is a niche bike. The ride is rough and you need to pay attention to what you're doing because the front wheel does tend to pull you in ways quite different than riding a regular dirt bike. I run Maxi tires on mine which are far better for traction than implement tires are and I can sidehill very well. On open two-track trails, you'll never keep up with your four-wheeling friends but when trails stop, they'll never keep up with you!

New Rokons are expensive (but most parts and the final assembly are done in the USA) but you can find used ones pretty cheaply. Parts are readily available from both Rokon International as well as Fillman Machining. There are a variety of engine options if you have to replace one. Rokons are FUN!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast