Thread: Are tides really important for butts, ect. ?

Default Are tides really important for butts, ect. ?

Hi guys!
    I was trying to plan trips with family members and was wondering about the tides in Seward. I'm not sure about Whittier, due to having to go out further. I have a decent sized boat (19 1/2 Alumaweld Stryker 3 1/2 foot sides), I just don't want to run too far with it, unless it's very nice weather.
    I'm aware slack is the best and try to be out there at least and hour before and after slack. Tides are sometimes hard to make in Seward, due to time and travel. Are chances still good for butts, rockfish at low tide or even when the tide is going out?
    Say high tide is at 9am and I'm on the water around 1-3pm? Probably more patience, right? Thanks a bunch!!

I fish through the tides. In the Seward area you'll have better luck with the water moving instead of slack.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

I agree water moving is always best.

I've always used the rule 2 hours before and after. That said I have fished through the tides as well. I've even fished in big tides with as much as 4 pounds of weight to keep on the bottom.....I still caught fish. Remember the times in the book are for on the beach. Depending on how far you go out I've seen it as much as 2 hours difference between when the book says it's slack and actually is out there. Also, I know a lot of folks that put on a big jig and only drift and do pretty well. You can always do that. If it's a nice day don't let "making the tide" keep you from fishing.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I've been trying to figure out the tide effect in Seward for the last 8 years and the only consistent thing is it makes a difference getting your fish up to the cleaning station.

Can't say about Seward, but for us the tide book tells us when and where to fish. Some places are best on slack high or slack low, others are best on the ebb or flood. That's based on an intimate knowledge of the area and lots of experience with the tides. The one constant is that big tides usually make for the best fishing, even when you're targeting the slacks between the big tides. If the tide book reveals very small tides, we likely stay home or go looking for other species.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    If the tide book reveals very small tides, we likely stay home or go looking for other species.
    Hmmmm......that's interesting. Not that the size of tide will keep me from going out, but for a lot of the people that I know that fish Cook Inlet, the less tidal swing means more effective time actually fishing. Meaning, if it's a real big tide, especially if you anchor up, the bigger the tide, the quicker it turns, runs faster, and the harder it is to keep your bait on the bottom. For the most part it's a lot easier to fish the smaller tides even if you drift as your bait isn't running across the bottom at high speed. For me personally, as far as halibut goes, I really have never noticed any difference in how they bite regardless of how big or small the tide is.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Charterboat Operator

we fish Hali in very shallow water, some times less then 3 fathoms. I like it when the tide's are at there peek!! bring on the -5's! i will develop current in areas that don't normally run on an average tide. any thing 19 foot of change or greater gets us all giddycheers

Most of my hardcore bottom fisherman buds here prefer the smaller tides, myself included.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts