Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firearms while traveling to Yukon Territory from AK?

Default Firearms while traveling to Yukon Territory from AK?

Hope this is the correct sub forum but I thought it related best here.

just got my Milepost book in the mail today. We are doing our initial searches into an Alaska trip for Summer of 2015. Haven't decided if we are going to RV it, rent a car and hotel hop or rent a cabin in an area and use that as a general "home base" and explore out from there.

Anyways, here is my question. I will bring one or two of my firearms as I do on all my vacations no matter how/where we choose to travel. My question is; if we decide to visit Dawson City for a day or two I assume it being in the Yukon Territory (still part of Canada) there will be the same restrictions on having firearms and the hassle associated with traveling into Canada with pistols, etc? I have read a lot about traveling through Canada with handguns on this forum and want to know if all the same rules apply going from Alaska to Dawson and back. I assume so but wanted to check.

If one does rent an RV for their vacation, and has otherwise "illegal" firearms as far as Canada is concerned, what does one do with them if traveling from AK to Dawson City and back? Drop them at the local Police station until back in AK?

Here is what I would look at bringing. All or any combination of these. Most likely just two.

Colt Anaconda .44mag
    XD40
    Rem 870
    Win 94AE .44mag

thanks for the help.

This subject comes up so frequently it should be a sticky.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...oss-the-border

Handguns with short barrels are generally not allowed, so unless the Anaconda has a long barrel, it's probably out. The XD40 same story. The 870 and 94 are maybe's, depending on specifics. Many people falsely believe all handguns are disallowed, however that's untrue. Handguns are restricted or disallowed based on barrel length and caliber; some are allowed, some aren't....the specifics are clearly spelled out on the form 909_e. Call the number listed in the above link to get current accurate information, as the rules are subject to change. Know what you're doing and have ALL the required paperwork completed BEFORE you bring your guns to the border.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    This subject comes up so frequently it should be a sticky.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...oss-the-border

Handguns with short barrels are generally not allowed, so unless the Anaconda has a long barrel, it's probably out. The XD40 same story. The 870 and 94 are maybe's, depending on specifics. Many people falsely believe all handguns are disallowed, however that's untrue. Handguns are restricted or disallowed based on barrel length and caliber; some are allowed, some aren't....the specifics are clearly spelled out on the form 909_e. Call the number listed in the above link to get current accurate information, as the rules are subject to change. Know what you're doing and have ALL the required paperwork completed BEFORE you bring your guns to the border.
    Be careful to NOT sign your form though until you are in front of the border agent or you will be filling them all out again....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

When I traveled through Canada I never felt I needed a firearm those Canadians some of the nicest folks you will ever meet... Ammo has to be separate from your firearms and you probably want to see what Canada laws are like if you have to use one those weapons for self defense. I imagine just pulling one out would land you in hot water with RMCP and if you shot someone **** you will probably make national news as the crazy american who shot up Canada.

When you get close to the border pull over and take your guns out into the woods and stash them under a tree, on the way back stop and pick them up. Know a guy who did that for years. Gun spent the winter under a rock a few miles from the border for years, just like the one that spent summers under a rock in Washington.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks for the replies. So all the normal Canadian laws still apply. I wasn't sure if there was a difference in firearms regulations since the Yukon is considered a territory compared to the 10 Provinces Canada has. Just gotta research what Canukistan allows and disallows. The help was appreciated.

After researching this myself, I think what you'll find is that all your self defense weapons will be illegal while you non semiautomatic weapons will be legal. The other thing you'll find, and this is a reference to iotaiga's comment, the handguns that are allowed are generally 32 caliber and specifically designed for Olympic Competition.

To the OP (and others) Customs and Immigration Canada is really cracking down on Americans bringing illegal Guns into Canada. They arrested a guy in. Vermont who took a wrong turn and ended up in the border line; he had a gun in his glove box.

Quote Originally Posted by Skrap View Post
    I will bring one or two of my firearms as I do on all my vacations no matter how/where we choose to travel.
    I don't get this. You don't have to explain your reasons or non reasons to me for exercising your rights, but what I understand you to say is that, if you need to go to one of the many cities in America with restrictions on guns, you just carry your guns anyway, disregarding those laws? Or do y just avoid those places at all costs?

I ask because your statement doesn't fit with your desire to go to Canada (or Washington, D.C., or New York City, or Massachussets, or...or...)

In my view, you're better off leaving the guns at home.

I looked into it... packing a gun in and out of Canada is a dang hassle and a half.

If the 870 has a long barrel and regular stock it's probably doable and won't draw much attention.

On one of my drives up, I just chucked a Louisville slugger in the truck and called it good.

I've been in a lot of places where carrying a gun was a very good idea. Western Canada isn't one of them.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Default customs

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    They arrested a guy in. Vermont who took a wrong turn and ended up in the border line; he had a gun in his glove box.
    The traffic made me do it! When he saw the Leaving USA sign he should've just edged it over and turned off the ignition instead of letting the traffic flow sweep him the rest of the way into canada...

Those customs guys are nothing to mess with, even the new/young ones. I've never seen a customs guy draw his weapon but I have witnessed my wet behind the ears customs guy (probably 21 years, one day old) with his gun hand hovering (i.e. shakin' like a leaf) back and forth 2+ inches above his service weapon... he thought he caught Jesse James or something. made me hand him my keys through my open driver's window, then screamed at me when I told him I was then unable to roll the power windows up right then. Customs Office Secondary inspection (we me stuck in the "little room" with all the microphones, seriously) proved in just a few short hours that my truck was indeed not a Mustang II, was not stolen, and though it actually was wearing stolen plates, it was due to the DMV mailing me the wrong ones a month before (and mailing mine to another guy, who owned a mustang II that had been stolen; he called in the theft from his papers not his plates...) that caused the whole problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I imagine just pulling one out would land you in hot water with RMCP and if you shot someone **** you will probably make national news as the crazy american who shot up Canada.
    Holy crap don't give the hoarders any ideas on how to extend the .22 shortage. It's just now getting better!

I don't get this. You don't have to explain your reasons or non reasons to me for exercising your rights, but what I understand you to say is that, if you need to go to one of the many cities in America with restrictions on guns, you just carry your guns anyway, disregarding those laws? Or do y just avoid those places at all costs?

I ask because your statement doesn't fit with your desire to go to Canada (or Washington, D.C., or New York City, or Massachussets, or...or...)

In my view, you're better off leaving the guns at home.

My clarification is this. When I go on vacation I will bring one of my pistols with me. I am going to HI later this week to my folks house that is in a nice town with good people but I still bring my firearm. Going to Montana in August and will bring several. I tend to avoid vacation destinations, for the most part, where guns are prohibited. Yes, I do want to visit NY. It will be a long weekend type of vacation but I will not take a weapon. I follow the firearms laws as best I can as I enjoy my right own firearms. I would not enjoy being a felon and loosing that right. Basically my wife and I plan the majority of our vacations where we can drive rather than fly. In doing so, this usually requires an overnight in a hotel during our drive to and from that is not always the Ritz Carlton. When I can legally take a gun I do when I can't I don't. That is why I asked you fellas here. Most have the knowledge and advice I needed.

...I think what you'll find is that all your self defense weapons will be illegal while you non semiautomatic weapons will be legal. The other thing you'll find, and this is a reference to iotaiga's comment, the handguns that are allowed are generally 32 caliber and specifically designed for Olympic Competition.
    Actually, .25 and .32 caliber handguns are prohibited, doesn't matter if they're semi-auto or revolver. Also, any handgun with a barrel length less than 4.1 inches is prohibited, doesn't matter if it's semi-auto or revolver.

My 4.5 inch .45 Colt revolver is allowed (classified as restricted). Transporting it through Canada requires two forms and $25; permit is good for (round trip within) 60 days.

My .45 Officer's 1911 is not allowed (classified as prohibited) because the barrel is too short.

In post #2 I provided a link to a thread wherein I previously posted a link to form 909_e which clearly spells it out. I think the greatest restriction to transporting handguns through Canada is simply myths/misinformation and an unwillingness to simply read the instructions.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Generally speaking, traveling in/through Canada with guns is not as complicated as most people believe. It has actually gotten easier in some ways. There was a time when handguns were not allowed across the border at all. As a couple others have already said, that is no longer the case. Some are prohibited; others are no problem with the correct paperwork. Rifles used to be no problem....no paperwork or fees required at all. That is no longer the case, but the paperwork is straightforward and Customs & Immigration is very helpful if you have any questions. There is a phone number on the forms that you should call prior to your trip if you have questions (download and print the forms before you go). I drove through Canada last summer with a rifle. No issues at all. Just be mindful that you are in a different country and that they expect you to obey the laws just like we do with foreigners in our country. Overall, Canada is a great place to travel and the people are exceptionally friendly and helpful.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

"...they expect you to obey the laws just like we do with foreigners in our country." Gotta smile.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Actually, .25 and .32 caliber handguns are prohibited, doesn't matter if they're semi-auto or revolver. Also, any handgun with a barrel length less than 4.1 inches is prohibited, doesn't matter if it's semi-auto or revolver.

My 4.5 inch .45 Colt revolver is allowed (classified as restricted). Transporting it through Canada requires two forms and $25; permit is good for (round trip within) 60 days.

My .45 Officer's 1911 is not allowed (classified as prohibited) because the barrel is too short.

In post #2 I provided a link to a thread wherein I previously posted a link to form 909_e which clearly spells it out. I think the greatest restriction to transporting handguns through Canada is simply myths/misinformation and an unwillingness to simply read the instructions.
    One of the chosen ones has to write it before anyone will believe it... It will have to written up as either a sheep hunt or a caribou float hunt or combo of both. If you don't know who the chosen ones are shoot me a pm

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    "...they expect you to obey the laws just like we do with foreigners in our country." Gotta smile.
    Yea I think Canada may expect that a tad more than our government does thease days.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Yea I think Canada may expect that a tad more than our government does thease days.
    Fair enough....I've gotta give you that one.

I grew up within spitting distance of the B.C. border. Most of the hassles related to getting in/out of Canada these days are because of our government (post 9/11), not theirs. Canadians couldn't care less if you have a passport, for example. That's a US requirement to re-enter the country. My only real issue with the paperwork required to take guns through Canada is that I don't trust our government not to request those records from Canada at some point in the future. The Canadian import/transit forms contain all the info you need to create a de facto registration system without actually going through Congress to get authorization for it. Simply call it a regulation of foreign commerce, and all the sudden the feds have a record of my guns by model and serial number.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    One of the chosen ones has to write it before anyone will believe it... It will have to written up as either a sheep hunt or a caribou float hunt or combo of both. If you don't know who the chosen ones are shoot me a pm
    I guess I don't understand this, but given that you are responding to a post that corrects one of my posts, I have to assume you are talking about me, although I'm not sure what this "chosen one" business is about.

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    The Canadian import/transit forms contain all the info you need to create a de facto registration system without actually going through Congress to get authorization for it. Simply call it a regulation of foreign commerce, and all the sudden the feds have a record of my guns by model and serial number.
    Depending on how the Supreme Court interprets "commerce," that may be entirely legal wand within the purview of the Federal government.

If, by spending money abroad, such as buying food, gasoline, souvenirs, etc., one is engaging in "commerce', then yes, the Federal government (specifically, Congress) has the right and authority, under the Commerce Clause to "regulate" ones carrying of firearms by keeping a record of it (as well as anything else you carry on a trip).

If a private individual's spending abroad is not considered "commerce" then no, Congress can't track what you carry abroad.

It is an interesting question of Constitutional law you have stumbled upon. Even in the first example, where does Congress' authority, under the Commerce Clause, end, and where does the individual's Fourth amendment rights begin? I have to admit that what you suggest is quite plausible, and most private citizens would not even be aware of it.

I guess I don't understand this, but given that you are responding to a post that corrects one of my posts, I have to assume you are talking about me, although I'm not sure what this "chosen one" business is about.
    My reply was to iofthetaiga asking why folks don't understand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast