Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel issue - Need a Mechanic

Default Fuel issue - Need a Mechanic

My airboat has a fuel issue. I had some water in the fuel but drains the system and put clean fuel along with Heet. Ran the boat here at the house and didn't seem to have any problems. Got to the landing tonight and it didn't want to start. Used starter fluid and got it to start and warmed it up before putting it in the water.Llaunched it, cranked it up and moved it out of launch area so I could go park the truck. Go to take off the it wouldn't start. So I just brought it back home..now I need someone that knows what they are doing to look at it. So who do you guys use. Power plant is a Chevy 350 w/ Holley Carb.

Did you change the filter? Some are flo no go, so if you got water in there it wont let fuel past anymore.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by f0zzy2 View Post
    Did you change the filter? Some are flo no go, so if you got water in there it wont let fuel past anymore.
    Thats very good advice!! Been there done that....the hard way.

I did replace the filter. I started it with starter fluid a couple time and it would run for a while, but if I came down to idle and it died it wouldn't restart. Someone told me to dump Sea-Foam in it and see if that works. Guess I will try it but starting to think it is a carb problem. Jets clogged or something.

Or a fuel pump going bad. Disconnect the fuel line at the carb and crank the motor over if a manual fuel pump. Or energized it if electric. See what kind of fuel flow you have to the carb. After changing fuel, filters and adding heet, it should atleast start and maybe run a little rough. Im thinking a fuel pump is going.

If there seems to be good fuel supply going to the carb, I would remove carb and shake out, dump out anything in it, the bowls may be full of water and it is not being displaced by fresh fuel. Most any auto mechanic that has the space and inclanation can work on your 350, don't need a special airboat guy to fix a fuel problem. Bud
    Wasilla

I have plenty of output from the fuel pump. I used the fuel pump to help drain the system after I couldn't get anymore with siphon hose.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Or a fuel pump going bad. Disconnect the fuel line at the carb and crank the motor over if a manual fuel pump. Or energized it if electric. See what kind of fuel flow you have to the carb. After changing fuel, filters and adding heet, it should atleast start and maybe run a little rough. Im thinking a fuel pump is going.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    I have plenty of output from the fuel pump. I used the fuel pump to help drain the system after I couldn't get anymore with siphon hose.
    It's looking more and more like a carb issue.

I have it running right now. Put Sea Foam in the Fuel/ Water filter, a quart of Sea Foam in one of the 25 gal tanks and spraying Sea Foam directly into the carb. Have throttle held at about 200 RPM's. Been runing like this for about 20 mins, with a few high RPM's in between. Then I will see what happens..

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    It's looking more and more like a carb issue.

Woo-Hoo! That stuff is amazing!
    BK

We shall see. After an hour or so of running, I shut it down and had a hard time getting it to start again. Ran to town, came back and it started without any starter fluid. So I will try tomorrow after it has sat overnight and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Woo-Hoo! That stuff is amazing!
    BK

X2 on seafoam. Amazing product!

how old is the holley carb? sometimes, those dmn things will drive a man crazy. not too fond of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    how old is the holley carb? sometimes, those dmn things will drive a man crazy. not too fond of them.
    I have no idea how old it is. I am not even sure what model it is. I am not a mechanic by any stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    We shall see. After an hour or so of running, I shut it down and had a hard time getting it to start again. Ran to town, came back and it started without any starter fluid. So I will try tomorrow after it has sat overnight and see what happens.
    Well it wouldn't start this morning. So need to try something else.

might save yourself the headache, and grab a marine edelbrock 750 cfm and an appropriate intake manifold of the same manufacture:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...s/marine.shtml

I wouldn't wish a holley carb on my worst enemy.

Ak grumpy,
    I tossed my Holly last year for the Edelbroch 800 cfm and am pleased with the results.

How is she doing this morning?
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    might save yourself the headache, and grab a marine edelbrock 750 cfm and an appropriate intake manifold of the same manufacture:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...s/marine.shtml

I wouldn't wish a holley carb on my worst enemy.

Call the guys here at the Carb Shop on Rosewood st.... 561-2272...
    2002 Wooldridge Sport 2000, 21', 350 Kodiak Jet, "CindyLou"
    26' Olympic Sport Sedan, 5.7 Volvo, 280 Volvo, getting there, "CindyLouTwo"
    20' Alumatech Airboat
    EagleQuest Cabins and Lodge--Willow

I didn't even try this morning. Had a couple otherthings I needed to do. Going to take it to someone tomorrow and see if he can figure it out. If not then I will look into other options, which could include of replacing the carb. Did Skip do the swap out for you?

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Ak grumpy,
    I tossed my Holly last year for the Edelbroch 800 cfm and am pleased with the results.

How is she doing this morning?
    BK

I really think your issue is water in the system. Remove carb, remove top and clean thourghly, a few drops in the bottom makes a difference. Be sure and check fuel tank again, a little water is easy to no drain out of it. Water does not mix with gas, water goes to the bottom and gets sucked up first. This is all easy stuff, just takes a little time, and will save you the expensive new carb. Water does not hurt a carb, just need to get rid of the water, be sure and double check fuel filter also. Bud
    Wasilla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast