Thread: anything and everything about the Copper River king salmon

Default anything and everything about the Copper River king salmon

the king salmon.... this tasty beautiful amazing wonderful magnificent strong fish.... that to me so much represents the spirit of Alaska... seems to be in big trouble... not only on the Copper River but in so many river systems in Alaska... I'm trying tto start a dialogue and hopefully keep it going... with thoughts and ideas and possible solutions.... let's try not to tune this into a complainers forum... but more in constructive criticism and ideas... and what would be most helpful is reports on kings people are catching... I don't ever want to forget what a king tastes like

I think the best possible sollution for the Kings is to make sincere efforts to restore and protect habitat, and to give them a rest, in all fisheries. IMHO, the best reports would not be from those catching kings, but from those not catching kings. I'd like to hear reports from folks observing unmolested Kings on redds in feeder streams with fabulous habitat...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I think the best possible sollution for the Kings is to make sincere efforts to restore and protect habitat, and to give them a rest, in all fisheries. IMHO, the best reports would not be from those catching kings, but from those not catching kings. I'd like to hear reports from folks observing unmolested Kings on redds in feeder streams with fabulous habitat...
    good post... here's one for you.... I asked a friend of mine who has a fish wheel.... that if he wasn't keeping the eggs from the Kings I wanted them for caviar.... his response was he doesn't keep any kings he lets them all go.... he's doing his part

Discussion of shallower nets by Cook Inlet setnetters' impact of kings can be found here: http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...fishermen-cook

mean while the Columbia river is expecting 1.6 million chinook/kings to hit the river this year.

heres the solution.... give all the Cordova fisherman dip nets... that way they can let all the king's go ... then they can give the King back to the Alaskan only personal use fishery.... check out the video on commercial fishing dipnetting in the Yukon