Thread: Kasilof boat launch

Default Kasilof boat launch

Planning to use the public launch near the highway once dipnetting opens. Are the river miles to the mouth doable with a prop? Low tide and high, or high only? 2 stroke restricted? Thanks!

Yeah, I think so. I haven't yet done it myself, but last year there were two guys ina. 12' v hull with a 6 hp Johnson dip netting in huge mouth at low tide, as well as a monstrosity of a Jon boat with a 90 hp something on it and about 8 people on board, also at low tide.

None of this BS retarded crap about 2 strokes, either.

I was all set to dipnet Kasilof by boat ths year, until the girlfriend kayboshed it. I'll wave at you for the shore. Yay.

I have seen people running down the river years ago with a prop but it was late July the area right below the launch and for about the first 3/4 of a mile is very rocky and shallow and I don't know if I would do it. There is also a shallow spot just below the old coho cove campground that might get you. Depending on the size of your boat you might be able to launch it at the mouth of the river but if it's a heavier boat the sand might get you. And I definitely wouldn't try to navigate the river below the grassy banks to at least the processor at low tide with a prop.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I have seen people running down the river years ago with a prop but it was late July the area right below the launch and for about the first 3/4 of a mile is very rocky and shallow and I don't know if I would do it. There is also a shallow spot just below the old coho cove campground that might get you. Depending on the size of your boat you might be able to launch it at the mouth of the river but if it's a heavier boat the sand might get you. And I definitely wouldn't try to navigate the river below the grassy banks to at least the processor at low tide with a prop.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Then how did the boats I saw get in there? (I ask because. I have never run it, but it seems that it must be possible if other boats are running around at the mouth.) Then again, there were very few boats dip netting in the mouth.

Folks with trailered boats launched off the gravel portion of the south bank. We just threw our 12' skiff in off the beach on the north bank.

I don't recommend trying to launch with a trailer on the north bank, due to the likelihood of getting stuck below the high tide line or having to run over people at the point in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I have seen people running down the river years ago with a prop but it was late July the area right below the launch and for about the first 3/4 of a mile is very rocky and shallow and I don't know if I would do it. k
    Yup.....not a good idea....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

When I do launch at the North Bank with my ATV I swap my trailer tires out for large fat flotation atv type tires. 16 foot aluminium v with a 25 horse 2 stroke, nice and light, light trailer too. then when I am ready to leave I swap the road tires back on.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Can someone tell me how to access the south beach to launch my Sport Boat? I've been to the north shore, but never the south side. Think I may go down there with my son this week, midweek. Maybe. I'd rather launch at no kidding boat ramp but if the river isn't passable, it isn't passable. I want to fish the rising tide so as not to get stuck waiting on the tide. Figure to fish one tide and split about the start of slack tide. May let my son run the boat (12 yrs old-inexperienced) IF the boat traffic is minimal.

Take North coho loop and go to the end you can't miss it. Stay straight and don't make the left onto South coho. Once you hit the beach take a right, there is a road/trail that will take you to the mouth of the river

Is the lower doable with a prop? Yes but only to the very experienced and only when the water is high.
    A low water year like this one and I would avoid it even if I was experienced.
    I have run it a lot in a driftboat. Early in the season when the water is real low I have seen spots where guides in heavily loaded driftboats (4 really big guys and a little woman+ guide)have to get out of the boat to get it across gravel bars below the peoples hole.
    Lots of rocks just below the bridge.
    I don't believe there are any 2 stroke restrictions. Mainly because boats rarely run most of this river and the lower river has restrictions on fishing from a motorized boat so people often avoid it with power boats. So it hasn't been polluted like the Kenai did when it was full of smoke burnin 2 strokes.lol
    To each his own but speaking from experience I wouldn't do it myself.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Is the lower doable with a prop? Yes but only to the very experienced and only when the water is high.
    A low water year like this one and I would avoid it even if I was experienced.
    I have run it a lot in a driftboat. Early in the season when the water is real low I have seen spots where guides in heavily loaded driftboats (4 really big guys and a little woman+ guide)have to get out of the boat to get it across gravel bars below the peoples hole.
    Lots of rocks just below the bridge.
    I don't believe there are any 2 stroke restrictions. Mainly because boats rarely run most of this river and the lower river has restrictions on fishing from a motorized boat so people often avoid it with power boats. So it hasn't been polluted like the Kenai did when it was full of smoke burnin 2 strokes.lol
    To each his own but speaking from experience I wouldn't do it myself.
    So Chrisn, when you guys (or in general) speak of "not running a river with a prop" because the "water level is too low" or it's "too rocky" are you speaking/thinking of any boat with a prop or bigger/heavier boats w/ props/?? I'm running what amounts to a sq stern canoe with a 4 hp. Yeah my prop stick below the hull, but I'm not drawing that much water.

I see a lot discussions here about low water and props and I just wonder if I should consider my boat in the same category with most boats that folks run rivers with.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    So Chrisn, when you guys (or in general) speak of "not running a river with a prop" because the "water level is too low" or it's "too rocky" are you speaking/thinking of any boat with a prop or bigger/heavier boats w/ props/?? I'm running what amounts to a sq stern canoe with a 4 hp. Yeah my prop stick below the hull, but I'm not drawing that much water.

I see a lot discussions here about low water and props and I just wonder if I should consider my boat in the same category with most boats that folks run rivers with.
    In the case of the Kasilof I would say any boat with a prop and inexperienced operator.
    By inexperienced I mean anyone who hasn't run the Kasilof before say in a driftboat or canoe/Kayak and is unfamiliar with the rocky areas and where the shallow gravel bars are at.
    Run it sometime in a canoe just after ice out and you will be amazed at how shallow some of these rocky rivers really are And what the river bottoms look like.
    Your boat is certainly lighter and able to be portaged and/or lined over and around obstacles. But hit one gravel bar or large rock going downstream with any amount of momentum and you are essentially buying a new prop.
    So IMHO each river or section of each river can be different and a person couldn't and shouldn't generalize when saying shallow "river" and "props".
    I don't know a lot of other rivers but have done the Kasilof dozens of times both the upper and lower river. Low water and High.

So to elaborate on what I just said I would say any boay not able to be portaged and/or lined around obstacles that runs via a prop.
    Experience in reading the water helps out a great deal as well.
    That being said I usually run my driftboat in shallow water and donn't have much time in prop or jet boats in the skinny water unlike a lot of guys on here who run the shallow rivers all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post

Where exactly is Fishermans road located? Can you launch a boat from there?

https://youtu.be/c_4YwyqTfRU

Mouth of the Kasilof at low tide...

Quote Originally Posted by jnjgaudette View Post
    Where exactly is Fishermans road located? Can you launch a boat from there?
    There's a Fisherman's Road in Soldotna, but I don't know of one in Kasilof.

If you're thinking about the Kasilof River Lodge, it's not suitable for trailered boats:

Default I don't think that's a launch....Just a pullout

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    There's a Fisherman's Road in Soldotna, but I don't know of one in Kasilof.

If you're thinking about the Kasilof River Lodge, it's not suitable for trailered boats:

I believe that the photo there shows the drift boat pullout, but I don't believe that's a launch by any stretch of the imagination. I base that on the one time, 3 years ago, when I went on a king fishing charter on the Kasilof. We launched from the guide's property about a mile below the sterling highway bridge and floated down. This looks like where we floated down to and pulled the boat out of the water. But this was a pullout location only, no launching going on.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    I believe that the photo there shows the drift boat pullout, but I don't believe that's a launch by any stretch of the imagination. I base that on the one time, 3 years ago, when I went on a king fishing charter on the Kasilof. We launched from the guide's property about a mile below the sterling highway bridge and floated down. This looks like where we floated down to and pulled the boat out of the water. But this was a pullout location only, no launching going on.
    You are correct that is a pull out.
    There is no public launch below the bridge on the Kasilof river.
    I believe that is what gr8fl was trying to point out.
    Many people mistakenly assume that the pullouts on the lower river are actually able to launch a boat for dipnetting.

Well ****!!! Looks like it is back to the beach again!!!