Thread: anchorage area vehicle?

Default anchorage area vehicle?

Just wondering if any member here has a sound solid reliable vehicle that they would be willing to rent from June 27th till the 9th of July to a retired Marine. The wife and I are coming and staying at the base and will be doing some job hunting and house hunting. Please PM me.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Have you checked about renting a car on the base?

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

No I didn't know that they had anything. The airport is crazy on the pricing but if I have no other choice. I do have one offer. Can you send me the contact name and number for the base rentals

Thanks
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Look up Highcountry truck rentals too. Not new cars but I rented from them for six months.
    http://www.highcountryanchorage.com
    I rented from them for 30days what hertz wanted a week.

Might do a search for car rentals and call them all. We rented a car several years ago. It may have been Levi? You have to get away from the airport or pay $$$ for taxes and fees. Our thing was we wanted to drive the Denali and most of the major renters would not allow their cars to be driven off the pavement. We ended up renting from what seemed to be a used car sales place that also rented cars??? The car was not brand new, but it was a fine car and started every time we put the key in it. A lot cheaper than the airport!

I have rented from a car place in Wasilla a couple of times and have been happy with what I rented. Last year they didn't save me enough to make it worth the trouble and I rented from Alamo at the airport. The car seemed pretty new but had been driven hard around construction zone ANC. The front end was so out of wack I didn't drive over 55. I was glad the front tires were still holding air when I turned it in.

No matter where you rent from look over the windshield very closely. If there's a chip in it when you bring it back you're going to get charged!

You're asking on here may work out. My partner at work has a son that lives in Wasilla. One year he had an "extra" van and offered to let me use it for less than a third of what it'd cost to rent something. The floor got wet when it rained, but it started every time and got me to where I needed to go. Also put a little $ in their pockets.

Edit: make sure you have proof of insurance with you.

Another option is a Uhaul pickup $20 a day plus 59 cent a mile

We rented from Levi as well http://www.levicarrental.net/. My wife and I came to Alaska on a very VERY tight budget about 5 years ago and he was the best deal we found. It was indeed a used car lot but he rents the vehicles. He even picked us up at the airport at 2am no charge. I still have the "contract" that we wrote on the spot with a sharpie on a blank piece of printer paper! He made me promise to bring the car back, shook my hand, and away we went. That happened in my first 30 min in Alaska and I knew then that we had to move here

Here you go they are located in bx/px
    https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/location/EDFT01

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Here you go they are located in bx/px
    https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/location/EDFT01
    Hertz on base is a ripoff. You can find a better deal elsewhere.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Sorry I don't have a number I am in Afghan at the moment it was just a thought on a rental place.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I have cleared my box, someone tried to PM me and couldn't so please retry. This is why I love this forum and it's members and why the wife and I are moving to join you great alaskans. Please keep the help coming. I will check with Levi as well.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Hertz on base is a ripoff. You can find a better deal elsewhere.
    Well tell him where these better deals are at....

Yep. U-haul. We see alot of that down here. Rsther than rent a motor for $2-300 a day, $20 a day you have wheels and a dry place to camp in. U-haul also has p/u trucks and Ford Econolines.

Tom,

I sent you one yesterday but did not get a box full bounce back. I sent again today.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I have cleared my box, someone tried to PM me and couldn't so please retry. This is why I love this forum and it's members and why the wife and I are moving to join you great alaskans. Please keep the help coming. I will check with Levi as well.

Bullwinkle50 I think that I got you last msg and just sent you a new one, Will try to call you Thursday evening.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

The family had a great time in Sitka and the kids shipped almost 200 lbs of salmon. My wife and I are in anchorage now and thanks to a very generous member of this forum we are able to get around and I would like to publicly thank his kindness. Since I joined this site 8 years ago I have found the level of generosity, professionalism and christian like behavior to be nothing less than fantastic and unmatched. This is one of the main reasons that we are moving here when my wife finishes school this fall. I thank you all!!!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I just wanted to second the recommendation for Levis rentals. We ran into a rental car fiasco upon arrival at the airport, and he saved the day. Thanks everyone for the tip.