Thread: Anybody ran to Carmen lake-20 mile

Default Anybody ran to Carmen lake-20 mile

Anxious to take the 14' w 25 jet out. Made a few Knik runs, wanna check out 20 mile.

Be careful. Knik is a gravy run. 20mile is a little different up by the lake. There's a few tight corners and some can openers if you're heading up to the lake. Most folks I've personally seen do that run had waaaaay bigger outboards (115+) or V8 inboards. There's some pretty good current coming out of the lake, especially after some good rain. Good luck...

Will do. It is a factory 25, so it actually does pretty good. But i hear ya. Appreciate the info

I run 20 mile with some regularity in an 18' with a 65 jet. I too want to try to get tot he lake as well, but don't yet have the guts. I'd be game to make a run up there if I had someone wanted to make a run for it.

I think slickwilly did it in his mini jet boat a week or two ago. You might try to get a hold of him

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I tried last October in my 20' Alaskan XL. We made it up to where the river splits and goes towards the lake easily. Once we got into the smaller river there were a lot of logs and stumps in the water so it was hard to maneuver around that and stay on step. We sucked up rocks several times and lost power. Eventually we just ran out of water to keep going. we also got stuck in shallow water sandbar that would have been a night on the river if it wasn't for two helpful packrafters. I most likely will not take my boat up there again, too much risk for damage. We did see several airboats that had no problem getting to the lake. Good Luck and BE SAFE.

Alaska backcountry cases ran us up there last month and we floated out in the pack rafts. I would suggest having him run you up there. It's pretty tight and technical. He used a smaller jet craft (I think) with inboard.

Steve

That was basically my experience with my 14 foot jon with a 30 hp jet.....logs across the river/creek, rocks, no water, and finally we just gave up.....

Quote Originally Posted by wasilla View Post
    I tried last October in my 20' Alaskan XL. We made it up to where the river splits and goes towards the lake easily. Once we got into the smaller river there were a lot of logs and stumps in the water so it was hard to maneuver around that and stay on step. We sucked up rocks several times and lost power. Eventually we just ran out of water to keep going. we also got stuck in shallow water sandbar that would have been a night on the river if it wasn't for two helpful packrafters. I most likely will not take my boat up there again, too much risk for damage. We did see several airboats that had no problem getting to the lake. Good Luck and BE SAFE.

Maybe i will just run up a ways and not chance anything. I'm pretty confident in my boat experience but am not in the business of ruining my toys..there are a lot more criks/rivers that are a good run w/o those issues. I would think it would be somewhat high water due to te recent weather, but I'm not one to say as I have nothing to compare it to.

D toe, hit me up if u want to go sometime, I'm sure I could grow a wild hair up my rear

Went last June in a 20 foot Sea Ark with 115 Jet on it. My buddy was driving the boat. We also went to the left at the Y all the way to the other lake (Name)? Both are not for the amateur boater. Like swampdonkey said there is a lot of current coming out of there. Even more so to the left. Both lakes are pretty cool. Be careful if you decide to do it. Very easy to get yourself into trouble.